autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Advise on removing 2000 grit wet sanding marks-rotary vs. Griots & M105 vs. HD cut???

Hey guys,

I have a 2 part question here. I am going to be wet sanding a truck this weekend and polishing it out. In the past I have used a wool pad and rotary with M105 to remove sanding marks and then M205 on Griots 6" buffer with foam pads. My rotary buffer has bit the dust and all I have is my Griots 6" buffer and numerous Buff and Shine pads. I need your professional opinions whether or not the foam pads on the Griots will be able to remove the 2000 grit sanding marks with either M105/205?

Is M105/205 the way to go or would you recommend HD Cut, HD speed/polish? I really like how HD Speed is easier to work with and virtually no dust but I have no experience with HD cut. Is it as good as M105 as far as the cut?

IF the Griots 6" and foam pads will not remove the sanding marks then I will have find me a rotary by the weekend. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advise on removing 2000 grit wet sanding marks-rotary vs. Griots & M105 vs. HD cut???

IMO You will have no issues removing the sand marks with your GG6. I would use the orange foam pads with the 105 and then the white pads with the 205. I wet sand on occasion and that is what I do. I will use my main DA the Flex 3401. I have used my Pc7424 XP too and that DA is not as strong as the GG6. I say go for it!

PS: If you are more comfortable using HD that would be fine too. I have never used HD products so I cannot comment. I have used 105/205 and they are a great product.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advise on removing 2000 grit wet sanding marks-rotary vs. Griots & M105 vs. HD cut???

Why not sand down to 3000 to lessen the compound? If you do, your Griot6 will work fine.

Post Thanks / Like

never actually thought about using 3000. I may have to give it a try. thanks for your advise.

Post Thanks / Like

I would guess it might depend on how soft or hard the paint is.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend Menzerna FG400, great product, will remove the sanding marks and leave a near mirror finish with the correct pad.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Guys. Just an update on the results. I wet sanded with 2000 grit paper and then used M105/M205 on Orange/Blue Buff N Shine foam pads with GG6. Results were excellent. All sanding marks removed and polished out. These results were just as good as it normally is when I use the rotary with wool pad with the M105 and finish with the GG6 and M205/blue pad. I am very happy that the rotary was not necessary since it was broken. Now, just to test the waters, I used HD Speed with Orange pad on a small section of the truck and it removed all sanding marks. I was shocked than an AIO was able to remove 2000 grits sanding marks. I have always been a huge Meguiars fan and now I am becoming a 3D HD fan.
    Has anyone else gotten great results with HD Speed or any other AIO's??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cpdetail View Post
    Hey Guys. Just an update on the results. I wet sanded with 2000 grit paper and then used M105/M205 on Orange/Blue Buff N Shine foam pads with GG6. Results were excellent. All sanding marks removed and polished out. These results were just as good as it normally is when I use the rotary with wool pad with the M105 and finish with the GG6 and M205/blue pad. I am very happy that the rotary was not necessary since it was broken. Now, just to test the waters, I used HD Speed with Orange pad on a small section of the truck and it removed all sanding marks. I was shocked than an AIO was able to remove 2000 grits sanding marks. I have always been a huge Meguiars fan and now I am becoming a 3D HD fan.
    Has anyone else gotten great results with HD Speed or any other AIO's??
    Did you wipe the panel down with a solvent after to ensure they were actually removed after speed?
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't wipe down the panel afterwards with a solvent. I guess this would determine if the polish or wax in Speed is just filing in the scratches or if product actually removed them. What type of solvent would you recommend to wipe the panel down with?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cpdetail View Post
    I didn't wipe down the panel afterwards with a solvent. I guess this would determine if the polish or wax in Speed is just filing in the scratches or if product actually removed them. What type of solvent would you recommend to wipe the panel down with?
    Im not Chad but I would recomend a wax and grease remover. Prep All is a good one. Spray on, let dwell for approximately 15 seconds, wipe off. I would repeat that a couple times on the same spot. That should get you bare paint.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast