autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Working With M105

+3 on the Menz FG400.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dlc95 View Post
    Yes, that very disheartening to experience. Some people add a drop of M205 to their pad to extend the cut. M100 has less of this phenomenon occurring, but still does in certain situations. Same with M205. At the "outer egdes" of my buffing trail, M205 will sometimes deposit itself there, not able to wipe off with normal pressure of the microfiber towel. I can usually finesse my pattern where that won't happen, but it is an inconvenience.

With Menzerna, It has a distinct filmy lubricant where the buffing occurs. It's much thicker than that of meguiar's. It seems the result, is that the abraded paint, and spent abrasives have somewhere to retreat - in the lubricant. So, rather than depositing the residue in a hard deposit, the oily film, and all the spent residue is easily wiped away from the surface. I've never had FG400, PF2500, or SF4000 deposit itself on any kind of paint, in any reasonable buffing climate.

However, in colder climates, I like Meguiar's because it has a more lucid consistency, where the cold can have an adverse effect on the lubricants in Menzerna polishes. That being said, the Menzerna still works, and performs admirably. You just might find the need to use a little more product, or spend some time wiping the oily residue off. Still different than a hard, cement like bond to the paint.
    Here is my Menzerna kit. I use Duragloss sealants after polishing with them, so they all stay together in this lunch bag. The extra bottle of PF2500 stays on the outside as I use it most often.

They currently aren't selling the 16oz bottles anymore, but the 8oz is available. Considering how concentrated these products are, you can get a lot done with the 8oz bottles.
    I'm gonna put the M105 away until it gets colder, then I'll try it again. It's just too much of a pain to work with, I hope it gets better when it gets colder for me because it really does cut very fast. Just not as fast as it dries out. I just did half of my sisters hood to play around. It got all the swirls out in 3 to 4 section passes, with the exception of some RIDS. I have D300, I'll give that a shot on my car until I get a bottle of FG400.

What do you follow up FG400 with?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
    I'm gonna put the M105 away until it gets colder, then I'll try it again. It's just too much of a pain to work with, I hope it gets better when it gets colder for me because it really does cut very fast. Just not as fast as it dries out. I just did half of my sisters hood to play around. It got all the swirls out in 3 to 4 section passes, with the exception of some RIDS. I have D300, I'll give that a shot on my car until I get a bottle of FG400.

What do you follow up FG400 with?
    D300 is awesome! It should do the trick.

I follow up the 400 with SF4000, which is now SF3500. I've been experimenting with SF though, with cycle times mostly. I tend to work my finishing cycle way too long, and got some dust from SF. Not so much since I shortened my cycle time.

Post Thanks / Like

D300 is awesome! It should do the trick.

I follow up the 400 with SF4000, which is now SF3500. I've been experimenting with SF though, with cycle times mostly. I tend to work my finishing cycle way too long, and got some dust from SF. Not so much since I shortened my cycle time.
    On my car, it should definitely do the trick. My car has some light micro marring, and light surface scratches. I wouldn't even call them swirls, they're more like "love marks" and some random isolated not so deep scratches.

I heard SF4000/SF3500 is fantastic, I'd like to try that to. So many things I want to try and experiment with. My friends are gonna have some shiny cars lol.

Post Thanks / Like

On my car, it should definitely do the trick. My car has some light micro marring, and light surface scratches. I wouldn't even call them swirls, they're more like "love marks" and some random isolated not so deep scratches.

I heard SF4000/SF3500 is fantastic, I'd like to try that to. So many things I want to try and experiment with. My friends are gonna have some shiny cars lol.
    You could even grab a bottle of Ultimate Compound. Don't let the perception fool you, that stuff can really cut, and won't dust up anywhere near what M105 does.

Check out my photo album: Porter Cable 7424xp / Green Hex Logic / Ultimate Compound vs 1000 grit sanding marks. I have a small write up and some pictures documenting my experience with that set of products.

Yes, when you get the chance pick up some HC400, and SF3500!

Post Thanks / Like

With FG400 and SF4000 you can pretty much tackle anything in any weather conditions. Those are an awesome 1-2 combo.

Post Thanks / Like

You could even grab a bottle of Ultimate Compound. Don't let the perception fool you, that stuff can really cut, and won't dust up anywhere near what M105 does.

Check out my photo album: Porter Cable 7424xp / Green Hex Logic / Ultimate Compound vs 1000 grit sanding marks. I have a small write up and some pictures documenting my experience with that set of products.

Yes, when you get the chance pick up some HC400, and SF3500!
    Wow, nice write up and pictures. Very interesting stuff. Thinking outside the box definitely yields some interesting conclusions and results. Very interesting stuff about the pads.

That paint definitely looks to be on the softer side with there being paint transfer on the pads. Seems like there's a lot of good products out there. So many in fact, I think I'm gonna put M105 on the back burner for a while. Up next is definitely the Menzerna stuff, I'm itching to try. I'd like to give M101 a shot as well and I'll probably pick up some Ultimate compound as well to play with, it's definitely cheap enough.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, nice write up and pictures. Very interesting stuff. Thinking outside the box definitely yields some interesting conclusions and results. Very interesting stuff about the pads.

That paint definitely looks to be on the softer side with there being paint transfer on the pads. Seems like there's a lot of good products out there. So many in fact, I think I'm gonna put M105 on the back burner for a while. Up next is definitely the Menzerna stuff, I'm itching to try. I'd like to give M101 a shot as well and I'll probably pick up some Ultimate compound as well to play with, it's definitely cheap enough.
    Yeah, the first time I used that combination I struck through my neighbors hot rod... This after years of rotary use.

Yep, that paint is soft single stage for sure. On a recent project, the same combination failed on me. It did do a great job on 1500 though.

I have another wet sanding project coming up where I'll try it again.

I had the M101 but never got around to trying it, and eventually traded it away.

Dang, if I still had my 8oz Menzerna bottles, I would have sent them to you...

Post Thanks / Like

I've wanted to try M101 for a while as well, but it's expensive compared to M100/M105.

FC400/sf4000 is a great combo. don't over look PF2500, it was my go-to for a long time when doing one step polishes. It's can get out those "love marks" and finish out perfect on most paints.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the first time I used that combination I struck through my neighbors hot rod... This after years of rotary use.

Yep, that paint is soft single stage for sure. On a recent project, the same combination failed on me. It did do a great job on 1500 though.

I have another wet sanding project coming up where I'll try it again.

I had the M101 but never got around to trying it, and eventually traded it away.

Dang, if I still had my 8oz Menzerna bottles, I would have sent them to you...
    I guess it depends on how hard the paint is as to whether that combo will work or not. That's the beauty of soft paint, easier to work with.

I'm relatively new to detailing and brand spanking new to doing it on other peoples cars for money so I haven't run into anything that crazy yet. I never really did it with my cars because I knew what I was working with for the most part. On other cars, I definitely gotta do "test spots" to see what I'd be working with.

That would of been cool Thanks for the thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt@Revive View Post
    I've wanted to try M101 for a while as well, but it's expensive compared to M100/M105.

FC400/sf4000 is a great combo. don't over look PF2500, it was my go-to for a long time when doing one step polishes. It's can get out those "love marks" and finish out perfect on most paints.
    It is. I want to get small bottle and just experiment with it. I'll get a small bottle of PF2500 as well. If that works on the marks on my car, then I won't even have to use the FG400. Maybe only on a couple of spots.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123