autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buffing threw clear....>???

I wouldn't, especially for a daily driver, and if I didn't have a paint thickness gage.

It just seems like taking a shot in the dark.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VAS View Post
    The main issue is from what i've seen on my own stuff from my earlier years of starting out with the buffer if you completely remove these scratches it'll look GREAT right now, but if they don't keep it sealed and clean a few sap spots, and a couple specks of bird poop sitting in the sun is all it'll take to make that clear coat start to blister up. You don't want to be liable for that.
    It's funny, back when I got on detailing forums, other than a rotary the most aggressive approach was an original PC with a really thick 7" yellow pad and Meguiar's #83. The problem with that combo was it was hard to remove even enough paint to remove swirls, much less scratches. Then all of a sudden there was M105 and small thin Surbuff pads and the KBM...and all of a sudden people were removing tons of paint...and some of us, at least in private, were questioning whether people willy nilly were removing too much clear off their cars, or worse, customer cars. I remember a PM conversation with a prominent member on another forum where we speculated about whether members who were proud of correcting their car now in a Show n' Shine were going to have CC failure a year later and whether they would come back and Show n' Shine that or quietly trade the car or have it repainted.

That doesn't really seem to have happened, and with all the really aggressive compounds and machines we have now, it still doesn't seem to happen--most of the burn-throughs seem to be sanding or spot repair attempts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VAS View Post
    I usually tell everyone that shows me noticeable scratches " I can make this less noticeable, I probably can't remove it completely" If they understand that then I give it a shot. Normally on a rotary I keep the speed relatively slow, and pick up speed after I get a better feel for the clear coat hardness. I'll make 5-6 passes with a cutting pad, and a fairly aggressive product before polishing it out. What ever it looks like after these 5-6 passes is normally good enough. It's either gone completely, or any white sharp lines have been rounded off, and it's only noticeable from a few feet away. This usually makes people happy. If not "Sorry buddy it needs to be repainted". If I were in your situation and he wants you to make another attempt I'd use a less aggressive polish that you have in your arsenal, and a medium cut pad and just give it a few more wipes. Show a good effort, and tell him if he wants it any better than that he's going to need to have it repainted. The main issue is from what i've seen on my own stuff from my earlier years of starting out with the buffer if you completely remove these scratches it'll look GREAT right now, but if they don't keep it sealed and clean a few sap spots, and a couple specks of bird poop sitting in the sun is all it'll take to make that clear coat start to blister up. You don't want to be liable for that.
    That is where its at now. You can barely see it and they are happy with it. I gave him a qtr/1/3rd bottle of the Klassle sealant (silver bottle stuff) and told him to keep up with the car. Sh!t, i live next door and have already done 3 cars in less than 18 months so i believe i will be the one caring for their cars, they are 60 yrs + old so i dont believe they will be buffing/polishing anytime soon.

I was honest from the start about it not having a ton of clear left and told him/them before starting. He told me to for it. But this was stupid, i know, i shoud of taken another path.

Its a 2012 and he plans on trading it in pretty soon anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rival View Post
    I was honest from the start about it not having a ton of clear left and told him/them before starting. He told me to for it. But this was stupid, i know, i shoud of taken another path.
    Hey man, don't beat yourself up about it--if we all could only always make the perfect decision about everything. It's just life. That door will probably be fine for the next 20 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Hey man, don't beat yourself up about it--if we all could only always make the perfect decision about everything. It's just life. That door will probably be fine for the next 20 years.
    i know, but the filling it first option should of been my route.

I do, do good work. Ive been at this since i was 17, learned the hard way fro m burning a few things, sanding threw a few things........But all that sh!t was at least 10yrs back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rival View Post
    That is where its at now. You can barely see it and they are happy with it. I gave him a qtr/1/3rd bottle of the Klassle sealant (silver bottle stuff) and told him to keep up with the car. Sh!t, i live next door and have already done 3 cars in less than 18 months so i believe i will be the one caring for their cars, they are 60 yrs + old so i dont believe they will be buffing/polishing anytime soon. Hey, hey, I'm in that 60+ group and still buff out a few cars.

Its a 2012 and he plans on trading it in pretty soon anyway.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    my old man watches and drinks good import beers while i do his car. He likes to see it transform, he always has black cars so they go from DD types to almost show cars......well as much as you going to get an acura TL or s2000 to do that, on factory paint, etc. Ill spend 65hrs on his.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123