autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Better Results with M105 vs Pinnacle Heavy Cut/BOSS Finishing

Hey everybody!

Out of curiosity, I decided to do half and half of the hood of my scratched up jalopy trail rig of a Cherokee. I did 2500, 5000 grit and then went from there to test polishes.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Using a PC7424xp and orange pad for each application, using just M105 on one part of the hood is coming out much better than trying to do the Pinnacle Heavy Duty Swirl Remover and GG BOSS Finishing Sealant.

Am I doing something wrong with the Pinnacle or not doing it for long enough? Even with just a few passes of the 105, the RIDS and scratches seem to be the only thing left other than a very very slight haze. The other side is much more hazy.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Thanks for your help!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Better Results with M105 vs Pinnacle Heavy Cut/BOSS Finishing

Pinnacle Advanced Compound has more cut than the Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover.
    AZ Mike aka "Repeat"

Post Thanks / Like

It's the XMT #4. Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart This chart shows it is supposed to have more cut than the 105.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nabors View Post
    It's the XMT #4. Autogeek Swirl Removers & Compounds Comparison Chart This chart shows it is supposed to have more cut than the 105.

They are two completely different technologies. Megs 105/205/100/101 use what is called Super Micro Abrasive Technology (SMAT). The micro abrasives tend not to break down and continue working. Pinnacle, Menz (don't know abut BOSS) use DAT, Diminishing Abrasive Technology. Abrasives will break down, giving a longer work time w/out worry of burn.

One cannot claim one compound is better than another based upon one vehicle. Each compound will react differently under different conditions, paint thickness, paint hardness, downward pressure, power of the tool, throw of the too and how the product is paired with a pad, foam, wool or Micro Fiber.

There is no one tool for every job, and that is why I stock Pinnacle Advanced Compound (my favorite), Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover, Menz FG400, a few HD products, Megs 105, and BOSS. Honestly, I consider Megs 105 the, "in case of emergency, break glass compound", others call it the box of rocks.

Each has it's trade offs... Menz FG400 and Pinnacle will dust some, but not too bad and have long work times. When paired with the right pad, you can knock down deep RIDS and swirls, safely with a high gloss and no micro-marring.

M105 can leave micro-marring, requiring a polish pass and both 105&205 dust like crazy.

BOSS, can do just about what Menz and Pinnacle can do, but it does it silently... meaning, you don't feel like you're correcting because there is not dust.... But when you wipe off it leaves a brilliant gloss.

Anyway, stock many, try many... you'll find out what works and doesn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paul_g View Post
    They are two completely different technologies. Megs 105/205/100/101 use what is called Super Micro Abrasive Technology (SMAT). The micro abrasives tend not to break down and continue working. Pinnacle, Menz (don't know abut BOSS) use DAT, Diminishing Abrasive Technology.
    BOSS uses super micro nano technology or whatever they call it.. Basically it's just a fancy word for SMAT. And yea you're right, they don't dust, which is pretty sweet.

Post Thanks / Like

So the boss compounds are really good?
    David 2000 Ford F-350 DRW CCLB BLACK/GOLD
    Wish list:
    Everything Mike has in his garage for detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jomax View Post
    So the boss compounds are really good?
    Oh yea. I just tried the Correcting Cream yesterday for the 1st time. I had tried to use Essence with a finishing pad and then a polishing pad and was getting below average results on the paint I was working on. [faded and heavily swirled Toyota paint] I came back with the Boss Correcting Cream and a cutting pad and it totally blew my previous efforts out of the water. I was expecting the Essence to at least restore the gloss to the paint. Pfft.. The Boss Cream not only removed the swirls but just about turned the paint into a different color!

Correcting Cream is a compound but man it finishes so good you'd swear it was a polish. The Fast Correcting Cream is equally good when you need that extra strength and also finishes great, seemingly endless working time, and pretty much zero dust. It makes you feel like you're living in 2016. Lol.

I haven't had a wow moment with the Perfecting Cream yet other than I will say that it smells amazing. And the Boss Finishing Sealant is meh...

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the boss creams are that good! You also have to remember the boss line-up (tool, pads & creams) were designed as an entire system to work together.

Post Thanks / Like

XMT polishes are outdated for sure.

BOSS polishes are very, very good. Especially, the fast correcting and correcting creams.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all of the input! The XMT was one of the free gifts so I decided to see what it could do. I need a little bit more aggressive pad and I'll pick up the rest of the BOSS line, too. I'm trying to find something I like, anyway. Any other recommendations?