autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Will this wet sand out?

Hi, everyone. I have been reading the forums a bit since getting far more serious in detailing and doing it the right way. I am curious to see what you guys think I should do on this situation with my new car.

The details: I have already clay bared the car and done multiple combinations with medium and fine cut Meguiar's compounds. I am using a Mequiar's DA with Lake Country pads. All of these attempts have failed getting the major defect out. I have Type II etching. The mineral deposits are completely gone. The car has very hard paint and light factory orange peel. I am attaching a picture below of the damage that can be seen in fluorescent light or bright angled light. Is this pitting too deep to be corrected with wet sanding or a micro buff pad?

Will this wet sand out?-img_4404-jpg

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=9psxtk&s=9#.V13a646i7SE
    Here is a higher resolution picture

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will this wet sand out?

Quote Originally Posted by vettefever17 View Post
    Hi, everyone. I have been reading the forums a bit since getting far more serious in detailing and doing it the right way. I am curious to see what you guys think I should do on this situation with my new car.

The details: I have already clay bared the car and done multiple combinations with medium and fine cut Meguiar's compounds. I am using a Mequiar's DA with Lake Country pads. All of these attempts have failed getting the major defect out. I have Type II etching. The mineral deposits are completely gone. The car has very hard paint and light factory orange peel. I am attaching a picture below of the damage that can be seen in fluorescent light or bright angled light. Is this pitting too deep to be corrected with wet sanding or a micro buff pad?

Will this wet sand out?-img_4404-jpg
    It should sand out, least aggressive first (2500-3000 grit) tape the edges. Do you have a PG?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    It should sand out, least aggressive first (2500-3000 grit) tape the edges. Do you have a PG?
    Im not sure what you mean by a "PG". If it is in references to a polisher, I only have the Mequiar's DA.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Another question I would like to ask you guys, could a micro fiber pad cut enough to create the correction that wet sanding would to correct all of the etching?

Post Thanks / Like

Im not sure what you mean by a "PG". If it is in references to a polisher, I only have the Mequiar's DA.
    Paint Guage
    Another question I would like to ask you guys, could a micro fiber pad cut enough to create the correction that wet sanding would to correct all of the etching?
    With a heavy compound maybe, but wet sanding is much faster.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish I had a paint gauge. The orange peel is minor, but I assume it has decent layer for removal. As for the the micro fiber pads, I am iffy about using those. The defects are not massively deep as it doesnt come to the nail test. I do not think the Mequiers DA spins effectively enough to remove the defect.