autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing swirls from hard paint

I'm by no means an expert, but usually have very good results removing swirls with the following products and the recommended AG methods. Just purchased a 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe in white and ran my GG 6" DA over the paint with CG V36 with Orange pad then followed with CG V38 with White pad to remove some light-to-medium swirls. I've always had good results, but the process didn't remove all of the swirls so I'm guessing the paint is on the 'hard' side compared to previous vehicles I've corrected. I'm at a loss whether I should use a stronger compound like V34 or switch to a microfiber cutting pad and re-do the steps above.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing swirls from hard paint

Were you using a larger 6" pad? Thick pad or thin pad? How was the GG unit in terms of speed of rotation? I ask as thicker pads 6" in size perhaps lack of rotation and correction was an issue. Did you put a hash mark on the backing plate and monitor the rotation?

Not sure if the newer Santa Fe's have hard paint or not but one thing that comes to mind is just the rotation and correction of the unit as you worked.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

Before I ever move up to a more aggressive product I first always test with a more aggressive pad. So if I had done a test spot with an orange pad and I didn't get the results I was looking for I would move up to a yellow pad and do another test spot in a different area.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

And, how is your arm speed?? Slow is the way to go!!!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies everyone...

5 inch CG pad, on a 5 or 5.5 speed setting, hash marks on backing plate to check rotation, slow and steady, crosshatch pattern.

I'll order a yellow pad and see if that takes the final 10-20% of swirls away and I'll be sure to let everyone know. I'll try to post some pictures as well in case others have the same question.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JarrettF View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone...

5 inch CG pad, on a 5 or 5.5 speed setting, hash marks on backing plate to check rotation, slow and steady, crosshatch pattern.

I'll order a yellow pad and see if that takes the final 10-20% of swirls away and I'll be sure to let everyone know. I'll try to post some pictures as well in case others have the same question.
    You won't need yellow pads. Those are pretty stout. I've only ever used them once on some really deep scratches and marring. If you do use a yellow pad you'll need to polish it afterwards as you will see it haze the surface a bit with yellow. You won't see that (depending on product) with the Orange Pads.

My advice is switch to V34 if you want to stick to Chem Guys product lineup. The product is more critical than the pad. The pad is just there to transmit the pressure and work on how it holds the product against the surface. I personally would head up to the local store and pick up Megs Ultimate Compound. I used the Megs twins when getting rid of this marring on our Entourage. Check out these two links of before and after. The Results from just Ultimate Compound and an orange pad were great. I went on and used Ultimate Polish with a white pad after that too. From that point forward I hit it again in the spring with HDSpeed and will continue to use that as my go-to polish/AIO. It finishes as nice if not better that my Menzerna SF4000.

^^ The above with done with 6" Pads on a Porter Cable 7424xp too.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My concern with the yellow pad was how aggressive it would be. The swirling is no where near as bad as your van's swirling/rds, but not all paints are apples/apples I suppose. I wouldn't mind switching brands as I'm not sold on a lot of the CG products I have. According to the autopia graph, Megs Ultimate Compound is slightly less agressive than V34, so I'll try this first.

Post Thanks / Like

Or, Megs 105/205.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to bash CG V series, however, I no longer use them. IMO there are better products AGO sells that are SUPERIOR to CG. This is from (MY) 1st hand experience. I would look into the Menzerna, Pinnacle, Wolfgang, Mequire's, HD and many other brands before I would even use V series again.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

OP I have all the V series polishes in my line up,amongst a ton of other ones. Right now my go to is just using the Rupes stuff. But all last summer I used V34/36 with Meg's micro fiber cutting pads and it corrected absolutely everything I threw at it. Had to finish with something obviously but still the stuff worked well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast