autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Took badge off, it was etched in the paint?

I recently removed the "TACOMA" side badges from my '09. I did the traditionally fishing line and pull method and then used label remover after. I couldn't get everything off and for good reason, it appears the glue, or maybe the badge etched into the paint-see pictures. I tried sanding with 2000 grit, buffing with m400 and then polishing it out, but it is still there.

Has anyone encountered this before with a resolution other than touch up paint? If I went the touch up paint route it'd be pretty extensive.

How can can I fix this as simply as possible?

Sanded
    Took badge off, it was etched in the paint?-fr_392_size640-jpg

After buffing, just next to the shadow you can still see everything.
    Took badge off, it was etched in the paint?-fr_393_size640-jpg

Other side wasn't as bad, but nonetheless.
    Took badge off, it was etched in the paint?-fr_394_size880-jpg
    Last edited by Clifford; 05-14-2016 at 08:14 AM. Reason: added pictures

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Took badge off, it was etched in the paint?

I had a simmilar thing happen when I decided to remove my wind deflector. I put it back on since I couldn't remove the etch mark.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW pehaps it show more in person than in the pics but I wouldn't stress too much over it. I would bet the average Joe wouldn't notice it. At least I really don't in the pics provided.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    FWIW pehaps it show more in person than in the pics but I wouldn't stress too much over it. I would bet the average Joe wouldn't notice it. At least I really don't in the pics provided.
    First pic shows it best. End result is just a polished look of that so its glossy. It's just the knowing I didn't fully complete what I was after.

Post Thanks / Like

It is the double sided tape that caused this. With it being on the paint for 7 years it has set in so to speak and expanded/contracted on the surface with the sun and cold weather. There is nothing more you can do other than live with it. Unless you want to have the doors repainted.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pdqgp View Post
    I tend to agree. My Suzuki had the same issue on the trunklid when I removed the stylized "S." IF YOU LOOKED FOR IT SPECIFICALLY, then you could clearly see an outline, but you had to be looking for it, wanting to see it. And even when I pointed it out to people, 90% STILL couldn't find it.

It took me a LONG time to understand that my cars are STREET cars, DAILY DRIVERS, and by nature will have or develop minor defects that I can do nothing about short of drastic (and expensive) measures. THIS is why I haven't gone screaming to a shrink about the nasty RIDS on my Camaro that would require a repaint of an entire panel for a few SMALL scratches ... I understand it's a 3 y/o car with just over 30,000 mile and it had a previous owner that didn't COSMETICALLY take care of it.

(DEEP BREATH)

As long as the Tacoma is kept the way it is now, polished to within an inch of its life, no one will notice or really care about some shadowing that 98% of the people couldn't see it they tried. Detail your truck, ENJOY your truck, but don't STRESS OVER your truck.

<getting off soapbox>
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Post Thanks / Like

It is a chemical reaction from the adhesive that caused it. Hit it with 3000 again and polish it out. You will always know it's there but most people won't.

Post Thanks / Like

If not perfect I would personally put a new one on.That color will highlight the etching,besides i think on that truck it look nice with the emblem just my take on this .

Post Thanks / Like

I really can't see much in the pictures, it is most likely fading differences betwen covered vs uncovered area. This looks like etching, but if you clay it and doesn't make any noise it is not "etching". I had a decal I removed from a freinds trunk that looked similar. I was lucky it was single stage paint (2011) so came right out with buffing only. Try the baggy test and see if any above surface defects can be felt. If not it is fading.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen way worse don't fret about that, the sun will fade that in no time. I didn't even catch it until someone mentioned which pic it was. I have done al of my cars ranging from brand new to old. No one will ever catch that. Save the door repaints and buy more detailing product. Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast