autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Freshly painted door

Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster. Anyways, I recently had the drivers door of my Tuxedo Black Metallic UH F150 repainted due to a scuff. The body shop gave me the clear to polish it but dont coat it yet. It looks like it was sanded and semi buffed before I received it but theres still swirl marks and what looks to be very light sanding marks all over the door too.

I took my TORQ 10FX polisher and an orange hex logic and meguiars M105 and did about 4 passes, wiped it, then took a white hex logic with M205 and did 4 to 5 passes and they were still there! I was shocked. I tried everything from swirlx by hand, m105 and 205 aith various different pad combos, and even chemical guys v line. Nothing worked. I tried wet sanding it a bit better with 5000 grit to kind of lower their marks and it got SEMI better but I can still see them and what looks like holograms that wont go away. I cant get a good picture sadly. Any help?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Freshly painted door

Maybe the swirl marks are inside the clear coat

Had happened to me when the body shop did not paint it properly.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by njain2686 View Post
    Maybe the swirl marks are inside the clear coat

Had happened to me when the body shop did not paint it properly.
    So essentially they buffed the color coat possibly or did something then cleared over it... so clear would need to be removed then fixed then recleared?

Post Thanks / Like

First off, welcome to AG Online! We're here to help.

I recently had the drivers door of my Tuxedo Black Metallic UH F150 repainted
    If you recently had it painted, why did you not return to the body-shop and show this too them? Under nominal circumstances if it wasn't right to begin with, no amount of correction after the fact will fix it. But I'll concede, normal thinking would be 105/205 should take care of it. That is where normal stops..

I tried wet sanding it a bit better with 5000 grit to kind of lower their marks and it got SEMI better but I can still see them and what looks like holograms that wont go away.
    IMO, wet sanding went beyond any nominal work a customer should have had to do if you just had the work done.

My only suggestion is to address the issue head on. Are you satisfied how the door came out? If the answer is "no" then bring it back to the shop and engage in a conversation that will lead towards a win/win with the shop in getting it repaired. Talk to the owner or manager and show them the defects in the paint, or under the clear.

I can still see them and what looks like holograms that wont go away.
    Holograms are scratches caused by rotary with wool, normally removed by compound or polish. Sometimes the oils from the polish left on the paint can refract light that "looks" like holograms but are not. If it's the latter, a simple wipe down with a NR Wash, CarPro Eraser, IPA dilution, QD or will eliminate them...

Lastly, if it's a daily driver or work truck, another option is to live with it.

Please let us know how you make out!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Daily driver/track truck/car show/meet truck I guess. I dropped it off with the owner, ill def be taking it to him monday. Ill take some eraser to it later and see how it looks. Im overly onsessive with paint condition and seeing one door all swirled up and looking funky while the rest of it is a mirror would drive my OCD insane.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DirtyEcoboost View Post
    Daily driver/track truck/car show/meet truck I guess. I dropped it off with the owner, ill def be taking it to him monday. Ill take some eraser to it later and see how it looks. Im overly onsessive with paint condition and seeing one door all swirled up and looking funky while the rest of it is a mirror would drive my OCD insane.
    Good! Well, It's your truck, don't feel bad about being OCD. You paid for a job done, it wasn't done right... Needs to be made right.
    Please let us know how you make out!

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So he essentually told me he cant see anything for 15 minutes then the sun hit it perfectly and he saw it. Agreed they were swirls but told me if they polished it itll be worse (these are probably the worst swirls ive seen in my life) but to just clay bar it and theyll go away. Since when did clay bars take away swirls? Its whatever, it looks like theyre getting semi better the more I touch it. I think ill grav some meguiars mirror glaze on the way home for it. But he claims they never used a machine on it when I got i back with holograms.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yall see them right?