autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Sign-up - 1977 CanAm Corvette Extreme Makeover - Thursday, September 22nd

Sign-up - 1977 CanAm Corvette Extreme Makeover - Thursday, September 22nd

Autogeek's Car of the Week!

On Thursday, September 22nd we're going to test our skills to the max as we restore a show car finish to this 1977 CanAm Corvette.

I love the look of this body kit and the color scheme on this Corvette; it's like the Batmobile meets the A-Team!

1977 Greenwood CanAm Corvette

It has a wild custom paint job with a beautiful multi-color metallic flake under the clearcoat and our goal will be to restore 100% clarity to the clear coat to really get the metallic flake to *pop* when you look at the finish.

We're going to have roughly 4 hours to remove the swirls and get the paint perfectly prepared for a coat of wax so I'm looking for a team of people ready, willing and able to lend me a hand.

I just spoke with Dave, the owner of this Corvette and he told me this is the Greenwood CanAm Body Kit and I thought you Corvette aficionados might be able to share some information about the CanAm body kits?

Also, the lovely Amy will be back to help remove the wax and I've heard she's bringing a friend...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sign-up - 1977 CanAm Corvette Extreme Makeover - Thursday, September 22nd

Perhaps this will help, if this doesn't violate this forum's rules.

Greenwood Corvette - Eckler's Can Ams

Note: Didn't Amy mention that I was the "friend".
    Just curious.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Mike Phillips

We'll be doing the extreme makeover in Stuart, Florida in our Autogeek's What's in the Garage? TV Studio, which we just installed our new Racedeck floor to showcase the cars we work on and that will be on Season 2 of our TV show.

Last week we put a show car finish on a 2011 Camaro with the Red Jewel Tint paint and the project was a lot of fun for everyone that helped out and I think the results speak for themselves.

If you live in the South Florida area and would like to learn more about machine polishing plus make some new friends and be part of the Transformation Team, then make plans to be at Autogeek's TV Studio on September 23rd starting at 5:00pm

And of course we're located at,

Autogeek's Garage
    7744 SW Jack James Drive
    Stuart, FL 34997
    Mapquest Driving Directions

Questions?

Office: 1-800-869-3011 x206
    Mike.Phillips@Autogeek.net

I will also be posting pictures of this extreme makeover as it happens to my Facebook page if you want to follow along.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    Note: Didn't Amy mention that I was the "friend".
    Just curious.

Bob
    Do you wear a dress?

If so, you might be the friend she was talking about...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Do you wear a dress?

If so, you might be the friend she was talking about...

LOL. To be in the same room with Amy, I'd be willing to show up "Klinger-Styled" anyday.

Also some more info on CanAm body kits:
    (Sourced from Bloomington Gold's website)

Ralph Eckler
    Vendor, Marketer, Collector & Restorer

“Broken Windshield and Flapping Fenders”

Walking into a salvage yard in 1961 was Ralph Eckler’s first step into Corvette history.

Driving out of that yard in a 1960 Corvette with a broken windshield and smashed fiberglass was his second step. The fenders flapped noisily and it looked like a sports car owned by the Beverly Hillbillies. “This is great,” the 20-year-old Ralph thought to himself. And it was the Corvette’s less-than-show room condition that set Ralph on his way during the early years of the Corvette Phenomenon.

Growing up working at his father’s shop and learning his main trade of fiberglass, Eckler used his skill and knowledge to restore his fender-flapping 1960. He began customizing body kits for all years of Corvette. He created the Can-Am wide body, hatch-back kits and one-piece tilt front ends. He quickly became known as the King of custom-bodied Corvettes. Although the Eckler brand didn’t quite jibe with the judging crowd, Eckler’s was a staple at Bloomington Gold from day one. Then, Ralph negotiated a restoration parts license agreement with GM allowing Eckler’s to use tooling and blueprints for discontinued parts and sell them as restoration parts. Ralph’s extreme passion for Corvettes turned into Eckler’s Corvette Parts serving the entire U.S. and beyond with every conceivable Corvette part and accessory. Now, Eckler’s was able to serve all market segments —custom to OEM.

Ralph Eckler made Corvette repair and modification practical long before the days of the current craze of aftermarket accessories. And with it he had a huge influence on the direction and enthusiasm of the Corvette Phenomenon.

Bob
    Last edited by FUNX650; 09-13-2011 at 10:32 AM.
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Mike Phillips

I did a quick Google image search and found a few CanAm Corvettes in different paint schemes...

This is going to be a fun project...

Post Thanks / Like

Corvette Summer...remember that movie?

I remember Eckler's there in Titusville, too.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post

Corvette Summer...remember that movie?

Yes...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaOD7mD2P7U]Corvette Summer - car chase scene - YouTube[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

This CanAm Corvette is pretty cool. It kinda looks like the Batmobile & the A-Team van in-one. I believe it also has a Black & Red Ostrage interior too.

Mike Phillips

Dave said he and his brother did the entire interior, so we'll be sure to get some pictures for the thread...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast