autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Calling all Photographers

All too often, I have regretted not taking any before, during and after shots of my details because I always balk at buying a camera and find myself without a camera in-hand. I am asking any AG member, who knows their photography stuff, to recommend to a newbie what sort of camera to use, without breaking the bank, to help take pictures to post before and after shots.
    Often, I have browsed the aisle at a local store and ultimately felt I was in over my head, and felt I would over-buy if I went into a camera shop.

I assume, some would love to help guide this topic in the proper direction, whereas others, will say I am making this harder than it needs to be. While I appreciate phone-camera shots, I feel we can do better, so why not give a chance to be educated properly on this subject.

Thank you in advance for your time and input.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Calling all Photographers

i know there is a thread somewhere on here with detailed settings the detailer used accompanied by pics to demonstrate the quality. I'm sure someone knows otherwise just search photography and I'm sure you stumble on it

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...-part-1-a.html

follow this thread..several parts

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wrb_subie View Post
    Thanks for the link. I just read it and can't tell if I'm encouraged or discouraged. The author seems to take photography just as serious as he does for detailing.
    I can't afford to lend that sort of attention to photography and need it dummied-down a bit. I'm searching for a camera thats built so that a knuckle-draging caveman can take a solid shot.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

There are as many answers there as there are cameras and car products.

Really all depends on your budget. Under $800 the Canon Rebel line is very good.
    Given the choice, the Rebel T5i is an outstanding contender, and will last you for many years to come.

Comparison of 3 Canon Rebel cameras.

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like you're looking for a good-to-great quality point-n-shoot camera and want to stay away from a DSLR with changeable lenses.

Google is your friend and here's a good starting point: Point and Shoot Camera Review 2014 | Best Point and Shoot Digital Camera - TopTenREVIEWS. Stick with the name brands & you'll be pleased with both ease-of-use and results.

I picked up a Panasonic LUMIX point-n-shoot for my GF & she couldn't be happier with the results she gets. Photography has been a hobby of mine for a few years & we frequently go shooting together.

Post Thanks / Like

NYG6coupe, excellent diagnosis; I believe you right. I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you very much.

Post Thanks / Like

Those photography articles were written by myself... Dslr photography can be a great hobby and pastime, but if you intend to set the camera to auto and leave it there, a DSLR will be wasted money compared to a nicer point and shoot.

Feel free to message me if you have any specific questions.

-Zach

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I exemplify the extremes with regards to photography. I've owned SLRs since the film days, from Nikon FM2, FE2, F3HP, F4s, and D700. My wife has probably owned more point-and-shoots than I've owned SLRs. She likes the quality of the photos I come up with and she's never happy with her p&s shots but can't be bothered with the weight or the complexity that SLRs entail.

After about 25 years of this back and forth, we finally found the perfect camera for her. It looks like a p&s and can be used like a p&s but it produces high-quality shots. It's a Sony NEX 3. Its sensor is bigger than a p&s (higher quality in most cases), it's actually the same size as a Nikon DX format. But it comes in a body the size of most p&s. Highly recommended.

Post Thanks / Like

Not directed at the OP but as a professional photographer, I find it funny that people seek out the opinions of photographers, but basically just want a point and shoot. When it comes down to it, there's not much difference between point and shoots, so it makes no difference if you're asking a world renowned pro, or Joe Blow at best buy.

Ok, OP, if you don't want to go the dslr route, for whatever reason, whether it be price, or ease of use, then just get a decent point and shoot. But then again, today's smart phones can rival most point and shoots.

Figure out what's important to you and what you want out of the camera.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast