autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Calling all Photographers

This car shoot just boggles the mind... 40 hours in photoshop

Second Best One Legged Detailer in The World... That top slot is unattainable

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hawk View Post
    That's a nice photograph.
    Thank you!

Mike Phillips

Here's my two cents....

I don't have any formal training in photography but I take a LOT of before and after pictures of cars as well as actions shots of the work being performed and then post them to discussion forums.

Most of my in-depth write-ups have between 50 and 100 photos to in my opinion properly tell the whole story. That's a lot of pictures considering how many projects I document for the company.

Lots of great advice and suggestions provided in this thread so far.

My advice is the same advice I posted somewhere on this forum in the last 5-6 years and besides all the other great features found in cameras today the one I like is the ability to capture and frame up an entire car (front to back), without having to physically back up, (walk away from the car) in order to fit the car in without chopping off a portion of the front or back of the car.

So in context, when taking thousands of pictures, the ability to adjust the zoom lens from withing 10 to 15 feet of the car and fit the entire car into the picture is a feature I appreciate.

And again, not being a camera or photography expert, just a guy that takes a lot of pictures, in order to capture complete cars without having to back away from the car 20+ feet means having at a minimum a good general purpose 18-55 lens.

I've had 4 Canon Rebels basically since they were introduced I've had almost one of each new model and the standard lens is a 18-55.

I would also say I really like the pictures Nick's new camera takes although I don't think it uses this size of a lens.

This is what I mean by capturing the entire length of a car framed up in a shot without having to back up half a mile.

Most important after you get your camera, teach yourself how to resize your pictures to around 800 pixels wide no matter where you host them. It's really not that hard to do.

My article here shows you how to do this without distorting the photo. The article has "pictures" so you can almost learn how without having to read.

How to resize your photos with Easy Thumbnails - Free software

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I recently got back into Photography, but didn't want to lug around multiple lenses etc, so started a search for a camera with the functionality of a DSLR without the need to buy additional lenses etc.

I ended up with the Olympus Stylus 1s Stylus 1s - Digital Cameras | Olympus

Size is just a little larger than most P&S cameras, can be used in full auto mode, Aperature priority, Shutter Priority or full manual mode, lense is 28 to 300mm constant aperature 2.8 and very importantly it has a very high quality eye level view finder like a DSLR which is fantastic in sunny conditions.

The Stylus 1s can be as simple or complex to use as you want and has excellent quality lenses as do all Olympus cameras for superb images. If you should get hooked on Photography it will serve you well for many years.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234