autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

If my Menzerna and makita had a face Id punch it!

Hey guys,

Been a busy week. Lots of learning and experimenting. Watched a body shop friend do some amazing touch up with rattle can and wet sanding. Then he let me buff the scratches out. Had no idea just how effective wet sanding is and how much time it could save on a really screwed up paint job. Theres just certain things that polish and pad isnt going to remove or smooth out. And wet sanding (2000 or 1000) is an amazing tool that I finally got to see for myself. Excited to try it out on test vehicles...

So I was detailing my mother in laws mercury cougar and my 3 year old UDM died in my hands. Out of no where. smelled burning plastic and the motor burned up. Plain dead. I freaked because Im as comfortable as a fish in water with my UDM. Fortunately I had my makita in the bag as well. i get frustrated trying to use this thing. I have the 7.5 LC pads and I dont like it. When I throw a wool pad on its much easier to use. Or I throw a smaller backing plate on and just use the 5.5 low profile LC pads and that seem to work great. But I cant seem to get down using these larger pads!

Now lets talk about my menzerna polishes. I have Powergloss, SIP, 85rd and one more. cant remember. I got these because everyone swears by it. But it dusts like crazy. More than any other polish ive used. And thats with the PC. On the rotary forget it. It dries out in less than 4 inches. I dont think I should have to use half the bottle priming the mad for this to work. spray a little mist of QD and it works better but only for a few seconds. And Menzerna is a PITA the remove.

I am using my rotary with smaller pads that were not intended to be used for a rotary. Im getting good results but I just feel Im missing the point of it. Im beyond frustrated.

On a lighter note I replaced that UDM with a new PCXP. I have to say I absolutely love everything about it. Its MUCH smoother than the UDM. Doesnt make my arm go numb. I love the huge button. I like the speed setting on top, Its way easier to hold. Its just an awesome machine. Although Im not sure about my pads. Again Im using LC 5.5 low profile pads.

Thanks for reading.
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: If my Menzerna and makita had a face Id punch it!

What is your process with the Menzerna? I have never seen it dry that quickly and it has always been an easy product line to use both applying and removing. Are you polishing in the hot sun or under shade?
    Jon Miles

Post Thanks / Like

A rotary has a steep learning process. I tried using a makita for about 2 hours. A bunch of holograms later, I decided it's not a tool for me. I'll stick to my Griot's DA.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never seen Menzerna dry up that quick. What speed do you have your rotary on? Menzerna will work for a very long time with a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ASPHALT ROCKET View Post
    I have never seen Menzerna dry up that quick. What speed do you have your rotary on? Menzerna will work for a very long time with a rotary.
    It must have been your environment. Menzerna is very temperature and humidity dependent. Menzerna and Optimum polishes are the ones I find that you can work forever.
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lasthope05 View Post
    It must have been your environment. Menzerna is very temperature and humidity dependent. Menzerna and Optimum polishes are the ones I find that you can work forever.
    Even when it is very humid the polish still doesn't dry up like that. It has to be technique, speed of the rotary or how the pad is being primed.

Post Thanks / Like

So how do you go about priming your pads Dana? inquiring minds want to know!

Post Thanks / Like

I've use the menzerna products this past weekend (83, 106 and 85) and experienced a bit of the same problems as the OP. I did get better results following TOGWT posts. Search for "Menzerna Methodology" and you'll find a couple of stickies by him. The distilled water priming did make a world of difference as well as not using too much product. Read both Methodology I and II. I also found out that the pads (I was using CCS) do load up and my experience is that after about 12 to 14 "cycles" of priming the pad with one spray of distilled water and then applying product and polishing, the pad had to be cleaned. Symptoms included (for me) heavy vibration of the polisher and dusting (after 12 to 14 cycles).

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by ph16; 04-05-2010 at 05:13 AM. Reason: clarified

Post Thanks / Like

well like i said Im used to a DA polisher. I put the same amount or more on the rotary pad. I havnt been priming the pad with anything other than a mist of XMT pad conditioner. I just dont get those large even lays of polish on the paint as i do with a DA. the pad seemingly spins dry and leaves some traces of polish behind. Next thing I know the big foam pad is sticky and hopping all over the place. I dont take the rotary above 2.5-3 and sometimes it leaves some dried up polish on the paint that the pad wont pick back up. I have to use a MF cloth.

I can glide Menzerna across a LOT of paint with the DA. I get it on the rotary and Im using half the bottle just to see product behind the pad. And then theres the dusting.

When I use a smaller pad and tackle a smaller area its fine.

There are too many dang videos on how to use a DA polisher and there are next to none on the rotary.
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and Im in the shade and the temp is 75-80
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast