autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: If my Menzerna and makita had a face Id punch it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kris R View Post
    Ok rocket this is what confuses me! First I was told Im not using enough polish and thats why it hops around, then Im being told that Im using too much. I flip the pad over and and place dots in a star pattern. 5 dots in all around the edge of the pad. Its not enough. I cant even get a 2 foot section of coverage. Its like im dry buffing right off the bat. I need someone to point me to a video or post a video of themselves with a makita because Im about to put it away and only use it to remove wet sanding marks and polish the rest out with the XP no matter HOW long it takes. its almost more trouble than its worth.
    Don't give up on the rotary we all feel your pain.As far as a video showing how to prime the pad maybe Mike P can get that handle for you.As far as priming the pad what i've done and also watched others do like Dana when we were working on my vette was pour some product in the middle of the pad and just work it into the pad all the way to the edge.I just use my hand and work it all over . Did you mention what speed your using the rotary on i may of missed that ??
    Lamborghini Broward

Post Thanks / Like

I'm reading on another Forum that Menzerna 85 leaves an oily film on the Paint.

Do you guys concur with this... and if you do, then do you wipe it down with some IPA before applying your LSP ?
    Dean
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

2003 GMC Sierra Denali
    Onyx Black/Pewter Leather
    w/AWD & QuadraSteer.

2008 Infiniti EX35 AWD
    Aspen Pearl/Black Leather
    w/AWD & Journey Pkg.

Post Thanks / Like

Researching the Menzerna Product-line a little more... I came across this little tid-bit >>> "The Super Intensive Polish Stock Number PO85RD3.02 has been renamed to PO83Q for simplicity".

Is this why AG's inventory of 85RD is limited, cause it's been re-labelled as 83Q ?
    Dean

2003 GMC Sierra Denali
    w/AWD & QuadraSteer.

2008 Infiniti EX35 AWD
    w/AWD & Journey Pkg.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2003 GMC Denali View Post

Do you guys concur with this... and if you do, then do you wipe it down with some IPA before applying your LSP ?
    85rd is only a bit oily if you use too much or dont break the polish down fully.

Also 85rd and SIP is not in limited supply. It is still made and stocked by many different competitors.
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok rocket this is what confuses me! First I was told Im not using enough polish and thats why it hops around, then Im being told that Im using too much. I flip the pad over and and place dots in a star pattern. 5 dots in all around the edge of the pad. Its not enough. I cant even get a 2 foot section of coverage. Its like im dry buffing right off the bat. I need someone to point me to a video or post a video of themselves with a makita because Im about to put it away and only use it to remove wet sanding marks and polish the rest out with the XP no matter HOW long it takes. its almost more trouble than its worth.
    I would put a dot in the middle, and I couple on the edges and go from there. Like Adam has asked what speed are you using the the rotary at? Trust me when you get the hang of it it will be more than worth it to know how to use the rotary.

Yes, it will leave an oily transparent film, plus I do an IPA wipe down before my lsp.

Post Thanks / Like

The funny thing is... that when you go on the Menzerna Polishing Compounds Store in Autogeek, the chart says that it contains no Silicone... so where is the "oil" coming from ?

Have a look at the Menzerna chart in this Link...

Menzerna Polishing Compounds Products, menzerna polishes, menzerna car polish, menzerna nano polish, menzerna final polish, menzerna compound,
    Dean

2003 GMC Sierra Denali
    w/AWD & QuadraSteer.

2008 Infiniti EX35 AWD
    w/AWD & Journey Pkg.

Post Thanks / Like

The funny thing is... that when you go on the Menzerna Polishing Compounds Store in Autogeek, the chart says that it contains no Silicone... so where is the "oil" coming from ?

Have a look at the Menzerna chart in this Link...

Menzerna Polishing Compounds Products, menzerna polishes, menzerna car polish, menzerna nano polish, menzerna final polish, menzerna compound,
    Oils have nothing to do with silicone. They can use mineral oil or any other type of oil to act as a lubricant. M80 is a perfect example of this. M80 is full of meguiars trade secret polishing oils and contains no silicone and is paint shop safe.

Here I made a quick video for you on my test car. I used 85rd with a fresh 6.5" white LC Flat pad. I only use three dots and a little circle in the middle to prime the pad. For me that is all that is needed. The section I'm working on is a little bigger than a 2x2ft area. Using the zenith technique I can easily getting over 4 minutes of polishing time without it drying out.

CIMG5251.flv video by lasthope05 - Photobucket
    Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lasthope05 View Post
    Oils have nothing to do with silicone. They can use mineral oil or any other type of oil to act as a lubricant. M80 is a perfect example of this. M80 is full of meguiars trade secret polishing oils and contains no silicone and is paint shop safe.

Here I made a quick video for you on my test car. I used 85rd with a fresh 6.5" white LC Flat pad. I only use three dots and a little circle in the middle to prime the pad. For me that is all that is needed. The section I'm working on is a little bigger than a 2x2ft area. Using the zenith technique I can easily getting over 4 minutes of polishing time without it drying out.

CIMG5251.flv video by lasthope05 - Photobucket

That video is good! I like how you put your dots right on the edge.
    Few questions:

what size pad is that? and WHAT pad is that? I like that much better than what i have...
    And Im not sure i like the ccs LC pads..(css/ccs?)

what speed did you start at and what did you amp it up to in the middle?

I start with 1.5-2 and sometimes turn it up to 3....
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Post Thanks / Like

That video is good! I like how you put your dots right on the edge.
    Few questions:

what size pad is that? and WHAT pad is that? I like that much better than what i have...
    And Im not sure i like the ccs LC pads..(css/ccs?)

what speed did you start at and what did you amp it up to in the middle?

I start with 1.5-2 and sometimes turn it up to 3....
    That is a 6.5" flat pad. Using the zenith technique, I spread and work the polish at 1000rpm for 2 passes. 1200rpm for 2 passes slight pressure, 1500rpm 4 passes more pressure and 2 passes at 1000rpm no pressure. Im not sure of the the numbers on the makita so you will just need to look at the chart on your polisher.

The rpms and passes are generally dependent upon what you are trying to accomplish and how the polish is breaking down. I generally dont use a white pad with 85rd but I wanted to show it was a fresh pad.

Alan T.

Post Thanks / Like

Last hope, that's awesome info. That could easily explain whee most of my problems are starting. Looks like that technique would eliminate holograms possibly.

So why not usE 85rd with white? A polish with no cut and a red pad with no cut.....just don't get what it's supposed to do.
    Kris R
    360detail.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast