autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Kayak protection?

while looking at buying a kayak woundering what do you guys like for keeping plastic kayaks looking new. Ive seen some used ones for sale that look really weather beaten from the sun. Maybe something with UV protectant?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kayak protection?

Aerospace 303 is my go-to for plastic and vinyl. It will require frequent re-application to be most effective, but it does work. I use it on my patio furniture that sits out 24/7. It makes surfaces much easier to clean after sitting in the elements. Just because you can't see it after some time doesn't mean it's not still working. They also make a marine specific version.

Post Thanks / Like

Carpro DLUX

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I second 303

Post Thanks / Like

Kayak protection?

I've never used it but I also think either the Aerospace or Marine 303 products would work great. I've read a ton of reviews on both and hear great things. Every other 303 product I've used has been top notch.

Sent from my iPad using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Agree on the 303 but I just let it go and use soap and water after use. Depending on where you go, scratches and dings are inevitable so it not like a car. Besides it's relieving to have an item you allow a little wear and tear and can sling around and drop without worrying about damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

If something like a kayak is mostly stored and just occasionally brought out for use, I wouldn't bother worrying about protection. I also don't like the idea of slathering on chemical and then dropping it into a water ecosystem. I'm not an enviro-nut or anything, I just try to be thoughtful and avoid things like that when I can. But I'd certainly consider applying some 303 after use if storage options were limited and the kayak was just going to be lying in the sun for extended periods. I'd even wipe it down with a damp towel once a month and reapply the 303. After sitting outside for awhile, I'm sure I'd want to wipe it down again with a damp towel before use anyway, to get all the dust off.

I actually did an experiment last fall. Two identical lawn plastic lawn chairs that sat out all winter. One with 303 applied and one without. The seats of the chairs hold water. So, after rain/snow, there was always a little puddle until it all evaporated. I just recently went out and wiped both chairs down with a wet rag. They were dust covered and dirty. The one with 303 applied last fall wiped completely clean very easily. The non-treated chair has evaporation rings that required some heavy handed scrubbing to remove. And it still left some traces of mineral deposits. Even though people will say 303 falls off in weather (and it does, to a good extent), I'm convinced it does what it's supposed to do and does it well, even if you can't "see" the protection throughout its life cycle.