autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Best way to use Essence?

Ok, did 2 cars this week with Car Pro Essence. Can't say I am in love with the product ;(

First my expectations were sky high after reading about it and seeing videos of results.

My personal experience was no so great. So here are some of the issues I have had and I am wondering how I can improve my technique to get the product to work as it should.

I use a Rupes Bigfoot 21ES with a 5 inch backplate and Lake Country HD Cutting pads with this product. I have tried various speeds on the machine ranging from 5 to 3.

So at first I was doing 5 slow passes and product was pretty much impossible to remove from the surface after I was done. Only way I could remove it was to re-apply new product on top of it and then scrub like crazy.

I then slowed the machine to speed 3 and did 5 faster passes. Now the product is much easier to remove but still not easy.

As far as results, a whole lot of swirls are surviving the process. Much more than when I use Paint decontamination cream. On the plus side the protection left behind is way better, but still, with fillers and correction ability, I should be getting better results than PRC.

So any tips on technique?

What kind of results are you getting?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best way to use Essence?

Sounds like essence is not liking your paint is it soft paint. I have used it twice so far first I used fg400 than just 2 or 3 slow passes with essence and it was very glossy. It wiped off easy. If you have soft paint it will still work just need fewer passes and a smaller work section

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There is bit of a trick to using Essence. For me I find this works.

1.Less is more with Essence, only use a small amount.
    2. Spread product on speed 1
    3. Do 2-3 slow passes on speed 2-3, maybe a little pressure but not much
    4. 1 pass on speed 4-5, I find this helps break it down
    5. Final pass on speed 1-2 to finish

Though there still mite be the occasional sticky spot, if you have this, add a tiny bit of product and quickly go over the sticky spot again on low speed. Usually does the trick.

Good luck.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Use a Megs MF pad with Essence for improved swirl removal. Use Rupes Yellow pad for lighter defects and to amp up shine.

Post Thanks / Like

Best way to use Essence?

I've never used any of their products without issues requiring lots of practice to get right. Just my two cents. Their products are almost impossible to get right the first time. Once dialed in it may be great but I'd never recommend their stuff for first timers or for those that don't have several cars to practice on.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Use very little buff till it looks like its gone but dont cook it.

Post Thanks / Like

For fine finishing, do not prime the pads when using CarPro Essence.

Essence is quite unique, and differs from other polishes you may be used to .

For Essence:

- Do not prime your pad
    - Use 2 small dots of product (perhaps 3-4 small dots on first pass with clean pad)
    - Spread product quickly onto working area at machine speed 1
    - Begin your first pass at a moderate speed (say around 4 on BOSS) with medium pressure
    - Make 1-2 slow passes at this moderate speed with moderate pressure (ie up & down, then left to right)
    - Make 1 final pass at a slower speed (2.5-3) with no pressure
    - Wipe residue away (there should be very little since so little product was used to begin with)
    - Clean pad & repeat on next section

If you use too much product, or work it too long it may be a bit difficult to remove, or you may see slight marring. The abrasives break down very quickly (just a couple passes), and you need very little product.

Once you get the hang of it, the process is very quick and easy!

Essence on a Scholl Concepts Neo Honey Spider, Megs MF, or a CarPro gloss pad USUALLY works very well!

Some light marring with Essence is possible on the very first section. When this happens try adding a few more drops of polish and hit the area again. Some paints are more susceptible to marring with a dry pad.

If you're using a microfiber pad cutting pad, you're probably looking to maximize cut. In this instance, lightly prime the MF pad with Essence, and use 2 small dots of product for each working section.
    Again, clean the pad after each section.
    2018 Ford F150 - Ruby Red Metallic
    2019 Honda Odyssey - Obsidian Blue

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lane5515 View Post
    For fine finishing, do not prime the pads when using CarPro Essence.

Essence is quite unique, and differs from other polishes you may be used to .

For Essence:

- Do not prime your pad
    - Use 2 small dots of product (perhaps 3-4 small dots on first pass with clean pad)
    - Spread product quickly onto working area at machine speed 1
    - Begin your first pass at a moderate speed (say around 4 on BOSS) with medium pressure
    - Make 1-2 slow passes at this moderate speed with moderate pressure (ie up & down, then left to right)
    - Make 1 final pass at a slower speed (2.5-3) with no pressure
    - Wipe residue away (there should be very little since so little product was used to begin with)
    - Clean pad & repeat on next section

If you use too much product, or work it too long it may be a bit difficult to remove, or you may see slight marring. The abrasives break down very quickly (just a couple passes), and you need very little product.

Once you get the hang of it, the process is very quick and easy!

Essence on a Scholl Concepts Neo Honey Spider, Megs MF, or a CarPro gloss pad USUALLY works very well!

Some light marring with Essence is possible on the very first section. When this happens try adding a few more drops of polish and hit the area again. Some paints are more susceptible to marring with a dry pad.

If you're using a microfiber pad cutting pad, you're probably looking to maximize cut. In this instance, lightly prime the MF pad with Essence, and use 2 small dots of product for each working section.
    Again, clean the pad after each section.
    Hmmm, this looks very familiar (and correct)...
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thank you guys.

Seems I was using a little bit too much product (4 pea size drops) and was working the product a little too long (4 slow passes with medium pressure and 1-2 fast passes with no pressure).

Everything else was as you guys described.

I will give this a try on my next vehicle that requires Essence.

And yes I have to agree that Car Pro products seems a bit difficult at first. Hopefully I will master this quickly So far I like them but was surprised they were not as intuitive as other products to use. I do like the concept of Car Pro Reload. People have complained about it but so far I like it. I don't mind having to buff twice, it is still much faster to do than a traditional sealant. Of course the product is very expensive, but I think I am using less of it than I do when I use a product like PowerLock ... so in the end it might not be more expensive to use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DARK HORSE View Post
    Hmmm, this looks very familiar (and correct)...
    I found this information compiled on another forum and copied it here. I used these procedures when starting out with Essence and have had very good results.
    2018 Ford F150 - Ruby Red Metallic
    2019 Honda Odyssey - Obsidian Blue

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast