autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Yellow road paint, HELP!

I feel your pain. I passed a line of cars one day and wondered why they were driving so dang slow, it was the paint truck I couldn't see in front of the box truck. Well, they got me, good. All down the passenger side. I tried EVERYTHING, kerosene, mineral spirits, tarminator, someone suggested vaseline. I coated the entire side of my black Durango with nothing helping. Not even nanoskin towels. Ultimately I used easy off oven cleaner. I know, it sounds bad, I went with multiple applications instead of longer dwell time along with the plastic razor blade method. Took 2 or 3 applications, I waited NO LONGER than 3 or 4 minutes then pressure washed it off, washed and re-evaluated. After I got it all off, I washed one more time and polished and coated my vehicle. That was about 7 months ago. The coating is still holding fantastic and my clear coat has not fallen off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stanza387 View Post
    Here's the paint
    I may be insane but by the shape of the droplets my guess is they will come off pretty easy--have you tried a fingernail?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I may be insane but by the shape of the droplets my guess is they will come off pretty easy--have you tried a fingernail?
    Lol yea I tried just picking at it.. I know it doesn't really look bad in the pic but it's on there pretty good

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post

DOT or Department of Transportation paint is formulated to stick to concrete and pavement and not wear off with millions of tires driving over it in all weather for decades.

It's pretty stout stuff.

In oder for the Xenit to work it's going to have to PENETRATE and in order to penetrate it's going to have to dwell against the paint and the overspray.

For what it's worth... I have removed Yellow DOT overspray paint with Xenit.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had great success with a product called goof off! You can pick it up at your local hardware store. I buy mine at Menards. Spray is on... Let it set for 30seconds and wipe off. You need to Wash the vehicle completely after the paint has been removed.
    Keep Calm... and Detail On!

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EWtheDETAILER View Post
    I've had great success with a product called goof off! You can pick it up at your local hardware store. I buy mine at Menards. Spray is on... Let it set for 30seconds and wipe off. You need to Wash the vehicle completely after the paint has been removed.
    I actually have a bottle of this sitting around, I'll have to give it a shot. Thanks for the tip

Post Thanks / Like

Easy does it with the Goof Off! That stuff is Paint Remover and is NOT clear coat safe.
    I have found over the years that the best, quickest, least messy and safest way to remove DOT paint is using a brand new plastic razor blade being sure to saturate and keep saturated with a QDS that has a high lubricity factor eg. Dura Gloss AquaWax, the area you're working on. The two key points here are the use of a brand new blade free of any nicks, chips, etc., and keeping the area flooded.
    Rarely do I have to do any kind of repair to the area i.e., compounding/polishing.
    The use of ANY of the chemicals suggested above will require the area to be re-waxed/sealed. My method does not.
    Just food for thought.
    Now, this approach has always worked for me when removing DRY paint. I've never had to address wet DOT paint so I can't speak to that situation.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I recieved a great tip from an auto body guy awhile back when i had some on my car. This works for paint swap as well. As long as your paint is sealed you can use paint reducer to pull it off. It works like a gem. Will save a lot of time but obviously use to your descretion. It pretty much wipes off.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Heres a pic of it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yellow road paint, HELP!-1465071775202-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

DUDE
    I would try easy off for that much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast