autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Removing Lexus factory ppf

I have a customer who has asked for the factory applied paint protection film panels removed. Lexus has applied small ppf sections under the door handles, in front of the rear wheels (ala Porsche location), rear deck lid sill etc. They have yellowed slightly and have collected debris in the raised edges where the adhesive has given out. They are still in pretty good condition with regard to cracking or severe degradation and should all come off in one piece or at least relatively easy.

My expected approach will be to heat them up first with a heat gun and then pull a corner a bit so as to work a q tip with Goof Off or Goo Gone underneath as i pull it off. Does anyone have a better way? I will be doing a full cut and buff of the entire car and will address any issues from my decal/PPF removal effort as well however i certainly want to minimize or completely avoid any abrasions or scuffs in those decal areas.

Thanks a bunch in advance, gang.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Removing Lexus factory ppf

Ok, let me try a slightly different approach here...

Has anyone removed PPF and found quick, easy methods or tips?

Post Thanks / Like

I heat it up with my IR lamps and peel it off. That way you have 2 free hands and don't have to deal with a heat gun. If you're lucky it will pull off in one piece and not leave the adhesive behind. Be sure to pull it towards you, not back over itself. If it's cracked and brittle you're in for a treat! If there is any adhesive left behind it's a PITA and time consuming. There are various adhesive removers you can use and they will all need dwell time to soften the adhesive. I use a plastic scraper in those cases...hopefully you won't have to deal with it.

This one was cracked and brittle, but left no adhesive behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Be sure to pull it towards you, not back over itself.
    Could you explain that a little? I remember a thread somewhere a long time ago where someone was talking about if you pulled it off one way, it would leave the adhesive behind, but if you pulled it another way, it wouldn't (or was less likely to). Is that what you're talking about?

Edit: I found this in another thread, I think I'm remembering a thread with pictures or video but it may have been on another forum:

Quote Originally Posted by Driven Auto Detail View Post
    I just removed film from a 10 year old Porsche for the first time.

Pick at the film until you can grab it with your fingers. Instead of "pulling back" like you would with masking tape, "pull forward". Basically what you're wanting to do is stretch the film like you're trying to re-apply it to a bigger area. Make sense?

When you do this, it will start pulling off the paint and take the adhesive with it. I used Stoner Tarminator to remove the little bit of adhesive that still remained. Wiped it on and then used my finger nail to gently scrape it off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Could you explain that a little? I remember a thread somewhere a long time ago where someone was talking about if you pulled it off one way, it would leave the adhesive behind, but if you pulled it another way, it wouldn't (or was less likely to). Is that what you're talking about?
    Yes. You want to pull up and towards you and not back over itself.

Quote Originally Posted by CieraSL View Post
    Wait! I know! Mirror, mirror against the grass, tell me who has kicked swirls' ass?
    http://Raskysautodetailing.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rasky. And that's usually how i pull of masking tape from trim as well...kind of a 45 degree angle towards me. This stuff is in really good shape but is a thicker material than the usual PPF and i think factory applied (or maybe at the dealer?).