autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bug spray headlight cleaning "trick"?

Has anyone else seen the video floating around Facebook of a guy "restoring" this headlights with nothing more then bug spray and a sock? This isn't the exact video but it's the same idea:

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2meDyYNx8rY"]Bug spray headlight restoration - YouTube[/video]
    (Sorry, I wasn't able to copy & paste a link to the exact video)

My question is, what exactly is going on here? Is the bug spray dissolving a thin layer of plastic?

Having restored a few headlights with actual headlight cleaning products I know what it takes to achieve "like new" headlights and am totally skeptical of this 10 second fix.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bug spray headlight cleaning "trick"?

I don't know any of the chemistry behind it. I do know that when fishing and spraying bug spray on a bass boat, do not get overspray on the plexiglass/composite windshields. It will speckle them with little pits from the overspray..... We learned the hard way

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MPBGT View Post
    I don't know any of the chemistry behind it. I do know that when fishing and spraying bug spray on a bass boat, do not get overspray on the plexiglass/composite windshields. It will speckle them with little pits from the overspray..... We learned the hard way
    It will also ruin the water proofing on a canvas tent, learned that in the Scouts many, many moons ago

Post Thanks / Like

To me those headlights weren't really bad. They probably look good when covered with water. Is it possible the bug remover has some oils in it that are covering up the issue? I mean they seemed to clear up with the first wipe. It seems like it would take some scrubbing to get results if you were actually removing plastic.
    Hopefully Bob will chime in...

Post Thanks / Like

That stuff he is using in the video contains DEET, which works a neurotoxin against insects, along with other mechanisms. I wouldn't spray that stuff on my skin - no less on my car; regardless of what the FDA says. Exposure to DEET has been known to cause mood changes and insomnia, along with various other ailments.

DEET works as a solvent and there is oil in the preparation as a pharmaceutical vehicle. The oil acts as a base and helps it stick to the skin. I believe two things are going on here:

1. DEET can act as a solvent and dissolve plastics and other synthetic materials to some extent. So, it may be dissolving some of the oxidation or crud on the headlight plastic.

2. The preparation itself contains oil - which will temporarily "fill" the defects in the headlights and make them look clearer. If you don't believe me, just spray some jacked up headlights down with some water. The water will fill the defects to an extent and make them look better until they dry. Any filling that is going on is just a temporary fix.

IMHO this is not a professional/quality way to restore headlights, no more than using toothpaste and whatever old rag you find laying around. Using a polish/compound (+/- proceeded by wet sanding) with a high quality abrasive is the way to go for consistent results.

Since DEET can dissolve plastics - the possibility exists it could damage or make certain headlights worse - since we know all plastics are not the same and do not react the same to certain chemical agents.

Post Thanks / Like

I figured it had to be a cross between a solvent plus oil making the headlights magically appear better. From the video, the headlights haze looked very even so my guess is the guy has been doing the "trick" for a while and has removed any sort of factory UV coating/ has to constantly reapply bug spray. What a waste of time!

Post Thanks / Like

I have noticed PB Trim Restorer (which seems quite similar to mineral oil) temporarily does a nice job clearing up headlights with no buffing, so I go along with the "fill" effect. It might be the DEET itself, it might be the carrier, but it seems like other oils would be better suited.

Some people have adverse reactions to DEET, but most people do not. The problem is, getting bitten by mosquitoes is not the healthiest thing either.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I love @swanicyouth, but I feel that DEET has done a whole lot more good in the world than bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yea I also just heard about this as well and was somewhat leary of the quick "10 second fix" things. It reminded me of a 3am infomercial, but I've never tried it myself so I can't confirm weather it truly works with actual professional results or not...

Here is the bug repellant video a friend sent me on the topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-jt...ature=youtu.be

I tend to go with swanicyouth on this one which sounds a bit more realistic to me.

We know this stuff is great for keeping those itchy red bug bumps from getting to us, but on the topic of headlight restoration, I hope to hear some other highly experienced detailers chime in on the subject as to if this is really a "good" thing for your car.

I would think Meguiars or Wolfgang and all the other detail companies would have tested something like this along with the all the colgate & crest toothpastes.

Post Thanks / Like

I am going out right now to do this to the xterra. Really? With all the products that have been proven for this, WHY?

I have mine sealed with WGTS.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast