autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Safety First - Always plug-in to a GFI or Ground Fault Interrupter

Thanks,
    You could have saved my life.
    I am going to buy a portable GFI in next couple of days. Because, in the summer I detail a lot of boats up in Washington State, and water is everywhere. I Never thought about using or buying a portable GFI, Instead I always use tons of mini bungee cords to keep the electrical cord on the boat, so it doesn't fall in the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this is a fantastic thread! Mike, not only have you pointed out a very real potential hazard and a solution to said hazard, but this is a great thread to go though and see what results you can get with a Porter Cable polisher (or Cyclo) with various brushes and attachments.

What a difference in the boat and the cars, but the real winner, at least for me is the ability to machine scrub tires, which has become a real necessity with the advent of Tuf Shine Tire Clear Coat and the fact that the tire has to be thoroughly cleaned. I know there are four different Cyclo brushes:

Cyclo Polisher Brushes turn your Cyclo Orbital Polisher

Realistically, we can eliminate the stiff black for the tires, since it is made for grout, stone floors, and truck bed liners. That leaves:

Grey Ultra Soft Upholstery Brush: This brush is for your most delicate carpet and upholstery. Each bristle is flagged, meaning they are split in to multiple fine tips. This brush is ideal for headliners, leather upholstery, natural fibers, and more fragile upholstery and carpets.

Aqua Soft Carpet Brush: This brush is an all-around carpet scrubber. It has medium crimped bristles for gentle but thorough cleaning. It loosens and removes spots and stains from most types of carpet.

White Standard Carpet Brush: This brush is meant for rigorous scrubbing of durable carpets. The bristles are stiff enough to dislodge old stains and they will hold up better than the Soft Carpet Brush on heavy duty carpet. You can also use this brush on tile, grout, and floor pads.

Generally speaking, which one would be the best choice for today's new tires? Or is it a situation where each tire is different, from large off-roading tires to the sport slick R compounds found today on a lot of sports cars? I have seen that in many of the posts you have used the Grey Ultra-Soft Brush, but I also saw with the large tires (I think they were on your truck) you went with the Aqua brush.

Even on the non-slip surfaces of the boat, it looked like the Aqua and sometimes white was being used, which leads me to believe that the Grey Ultra-Soft may be the best bet for tires. Either that or the Aqua, but I wanted to get your input before I do anything.

Thank you for sharing this safety article with us and for always practicing proper safety, whether it be plugging into GFI outlets or wearing gloves when dealing with harmful chemicals. Many of us learn by seeing, and you have set a wonderful example for us to follow. Oh yeah, and great job on the vinyl covers, tires, wet(damp) sanding projects, and the boat, of course!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra1316 View Post
    Thanks,
    You could have saved my life.
    I am going to buy a portable GFI in next couple of days. Because, in the summer I detail a lot of boats up in Washington State, and water is everywhere.

I Never thought about using or buying a portable GFI, Instead I always use tons of mini bungee cords to keep the electrical cord on the boat, so it doesn't fall in the water.

Glad to have helped...

Just replied back to a guy on our YouTube Channel on our Boat Detailing Video on this topic... actually included a link for him back to this thread...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iabK-X7lzY&list=PLf9

Post Thanks / Like

Two words..... Wonderful and powerful!!!!!!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by juliom2 View Post

Two words.....

Wonderful and powerful!!!!!!

And the word

powerful

Being a pun...

Powerful

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12