autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Using 0000 steel wool on windshield

Hey guys,

I just watched a video explaining how to polish the windshield using 0000 steel wool.

Do any of you guys use this technique and if so how does it compare to using a DA with a glass polishing pad and glass polish?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Using 0000 steel wool on windshield

No, I don't use the steel. I use another little kitchen scrubber that's like that but made of rubber with little wholes on it for friction. It has good cleaning power without the fear of scratching. I also still use the DA if need be and some nice sealer. A razor is always good practice if you keep the razor fresh and sharp with a nice lube on the window. These are my practices. I have no problem and my windows feel awesome!!

Post Thanks / Like

It won't polish the glass and is nothing like using a polishing pad. Back when I did very bad cars on a daily basis, I would quickly go over the windshield with "0000" steel wool to remove the worst contaminants before claying.

If used with something like ONR it won't leave any scratches and does an excellent job of removing contaminants.

You can also quickly go over the windows with a razor blade (lots of lube and at a 45 degree or less angle) to quickly remove contaminants before claying the windows. This is actually used even in very high end detailing.

These methods are normally used during the wash or prep process before detailing.
    Jeremy Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use "steel-wools", no matter the grade, near vehicles.
    There are always the multitude of nearly undetectable pieces (at first/until oxidation occurs), that break-off while it's being used;
    and, that also no longer have the oil-laden rust preventatives from the factory, of which later to contend.

IMHO...If you must use this type of abrasive product:
    Stainless-steel and/or brass "steel wools" are 'better alternatives'.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    Glass is like paint, albeit doesn't scratch as easy - but it will scratch. I think you'd have to be nuts to use steel wool on your windshield. There are specific products made for glass that work wonders, why not use them?

Mike Phillips

Count me on the "don't use steel wool on glass" gang...

I don't use steel wool on glass, never have and never recommend it.

I know there are a lot of guys and even detailers that recommend it but steel scratches glass. Just because you cannot visually see the scratches doesn't mean they are not there.

Plus there are a lot of glass polishes available that are safe, no risks at all.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't use it anymore.
    I'll admit, when I was doing dealer cars on a daily basis, I didn't really care what type of minute damage it may have caused, compared to the condition these vehicles in, it would have not been noticeable.

It was fast, and as a production detailer, it's all I cared about. I grew up and moved on.
    Jeremy Wayne

Post Thanks / Like

I can just imagine a client's face when you pull out the steel wool...

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so no steel wool then

I am unsure what those kitchen scrubbers made of rubber are... can you post a picture?

If I can find something that is fast to do, and that I can do during the wash without having to pull out the polisher and spend 20 minutes on the windshield I am all for it. I could use that in low cost détails.

What about magic eracers (mr. Clean stuff) on the windshield? Would that do a decent job?

I have yet to find a razor blade+handle. Where do you guys get this? Closest I found was at the dollar store, the razor blade is attached and the handle is much shorter. Also the blade is twice as wide so I don't think it would conform to the curvature of the windshield as well.

I am also wondering if Nano Skin Medium Grade (red) sponges would do a decent job for this.

So many questions Sorry guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    Ok, so no steel wool then

I am unsure what those kitchen scrubbers made of rubber are... can you post a picture?

If I can find something that is fast to do, and that I can do during the wash without having to pull out the polisher and spend 20 minutes on the windshield I am all for it. I could use that in low cost détails.

What about magic eracers (mr. Clean stuff) on the windshield? Would that do a decent job?

I have yet to find a razor blade+handle. Where do you guys get this? Closest I found was at the dollar store, the razor blade is attached and the handle is much shorter. Also the blade is twice as wide so I don't think it would conform to the curvature of the windshield as well.

I am also wondering if Nano Skin Medium Grade (red) sponges would do a decent job for this.

So many questions Sorry guys

What are you trying to accomplish? Defect removal (scratches) or just decontaminating the glass? If the later, I would just use clay or a clay substitute with ONR. Another thing you could use is a non or slightly abrasive polish (like PB's Pro Polish) on a Polishin' Pal with a white LC 3.5" beveled pad. That would make short work of it. Even AIO, like Mother's Liquid AIO Cleaner Wax can work wonders on glass by hand.

If your going after defects, you going to need big *ss Popeye muscle man arms to get out scratches without a machine (ask me how I know).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast