autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smart Car Polishing

Has anyone ever polished one of those plastic cars? What did you use and how did it come out?
    Black cars are easy!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Smart Car Polishing

Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan View Post
    Has anyone ever polished one of those plastic cars? What did you use and how did it come out?
    My "plastic" vehicles have a BC/CC paint system applied to the substrate and I use the same tools, products, and processes on them, as I also do for the vehicles that have ferrous substrates with a BC/CC paint system applied.

Not sure about a "plastic" Smart Car's paint system...But it more than likely has a similar paint system and your normal detailing processes should be of avail, IMO.

Too bad I don't live closer to you...I could come over, or, you could just throw it in the trunk of your car and bring it over for me to take a look at it.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Man...I was JUST thinking about this yesterday as I drove past a smart car sitting in a parking lot. Thats crazy!
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

They also fit in a regular clothes washer.

Post Thanks / Like

One question; are they truly painted or is the color in the plastic?

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    One question; are they truly painted or is the color in the plastic?
    I think it is in the plastic, hence the question.

Post Thanks / Like

I just googled it and found the following on the smart car forum, don't know how accurate it is. Blue, green, silver, gray and 2008 red were painted plastic. For the other colors, including 2009+ red, the plastic was molded with the color.

Post Thanks / Like

From smart USA (with my underlining/hightlighting/bolding):

The smart steel body is fully zinc plated. As a further provision against corrosion, there is a coat of cataphoretic paint under the main powder-coat paint, and all body cavities are preserved by a special agent. Finally, the body panels and complete underbody are made of polypropylene, which are not prone to rust even if scratched. The entire vehicle bodywork of smart is powder coated rather than painted which uses 40% less energy than conventional painting methods with zero solvent emissions and no water consumption. Powder "overspray" is collected and is 98% reusable which is a great example of eco-friendly solutions that also provide excellent finish quality. Only water-soluble paints are used in the smart cars production and the interchangeable body panels are fully recyclable. From development and production of the smart to its operational period and eventual recycling, the smart car is 95% recyclable

Then, if the above is true, and according to Akzo Nobel a manufacturer of powder coatings:

"The best method of cleaning is by regular washing of the coating using a solution of warm water and non-abrasive, pH neutral detergent solution. Surfaces should be thoroughly rinsed after cleaning to remove all residues. All surfaces should be cleaned using a soft cloth or sponge or a soft natural bristle brush.

WARNING. Do not under any circumstances use strong solvents such as thinners or solutions containing chlorinated hydrocarbons, esters or ketones. Abrasive cleaners or cutting compounds should not be used.

Use nothing stronger than white spirits to assist with stubborn stains. Cleaning with white spirits should be carried out in shade and during cooler temperatures using a soft cloth and gentle wiping only. It is also recommended that a small non-visible area be tested initially to ensure that no color change or damage will occur."

Note:
    Another thing to keep in mind...There are, and have been: Paint/graphic-overlays options available for a smarts owners' personalization since their inception.

I can only suppose, then, my "plastic vehicles" paint systems are quite different than smart vehicles.

Hope this helps.

Bob
    Last edited by FUNX650; 01-12-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I have one tomorrow. I guess I'll learn and pass back what I do. I'm pretty sure it's black and yellow but it might be black and red. At any rate, the info seems to be all over the place and I've never heard of powder coated polycarbonate. I'm sure to learn *something* on this one.
    Black cars are easy!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SpoiledMan View Post
    Well I have one tomorrow. I guess I'll learn and pass back what I do. I'm pretty sure it's black and yellow but it might be black and red. At any rate, the info seems to be all over the place and I've never heard of powder coated polycarbonate. I'm sure to learn *something* on this one.
    smart USA says their: "body panels and complete underbody are made of polypropylene", not polycarbonate...Knowing that it's this type of "plastic" (polypropylene) might make a difference in your approach to detailing this smart vehicle, and then again, might not.

Good Luck in whatever process you use!

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast