autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

A tip for working with Klasse Sealant Glaze - READ This before using

A tip for working with Klasse Sealant Glaze - READ This before using

Tip: Test to small area first
    Anytime you're going to use a wax, paint sealant or coating that is a product you've never used before, especially if you're planning on applying it to the entire car... to get a feel for how the product applies and most important, how it wipes off, first test the product to a small area.

This way you'll be familiar with the application and wipe-off characteristics for the specific product before applying to the entire car.

A small area = about a foot squared
    The average size square microfiber towel is 16" by 16", which is a little larger than a foot squared. So for your test section, lay a clean microfiber towel out flat, like this,

Then use this area as a guide as to how large of an area to apply the product onto in order to get a good feel for both the application and wipe-off characteristics of the new-to-you product.

Follow the manufactures directions
    Manufactures know their product formulas best so take a moment to read the directions for application and removal on the label and then follow them as recommended.

Waxes and Paint Sealants that dry
    If the directions state that you should allow the product to dry to haze before removal then allow the product to dry before removing it.

The Swipe Test
    Here's a handy test to check and see if a wax or paint sealant is dry and ready to remove, The Swipe Test

Wipe-on, wipe-off waxes and paint sealants
    Some products are formulated to be removed before they dry, these are called wipe-on, wipe-off waxes. If you're using a wipe-on, wipe-off wax then immediately after applying the wax to the entire car go ahead and remove it.

Products vary and climatic conditions vary
    The chemistry between products can be very different; some products wipe off a tick on the difficult side while some products wipe off incredibly easy.

Products perform differently in different environmental conditions; a product that applies and remove easily in a humid area may apply and wipe off with great difficulty in another geographical location that's hot and dry.

The idea behind this tip is for you to become acquainted with a product you've never used before in your specific geographical, environmental and climatic location.

For some people, what this may teach them is the importance of applying a thin coating and if you're new to the world of detailing in general and waxing by hand in specific, you might not know 100% exactly what is meant by a thin coating and you don't want to learn what thin means the hard way.

2. Likes dlc95 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: One tip for working with waxes, paint sealants or coatings that are new to you...

very good advice. today everything has to be applied in a thin coat or at least it seems that way. if i can "see" the product when i apply it then it is to thick. as long as it looks like there is a smearing action taking place when you wipe product on then i know it is thin and there is product being applied.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: One tip for working with waxes, paint sealants or coatings that are new to you...

this is great advice! anyone ever let m16 dry lolol its like concrete! my dad found that out the hard way!
    irfan
    laughing is the cure for all!
    jeepgarage.org

Post Thanks / Like

That's great advise Mike, M16 falls under that category that you want to apply it by DA if possible because it can be VERY difficult to remove it you apply it too thick. Can that product be used as a WOWO product and still offer the same protection as if you let it dry and removed?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dreamps View Post
    this is great advice! anyone ever let m16 dry lolol its like concrete! my dad found that out the hard way!
    Ha, you beat me too it!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by dreamps View Post
    this is great advice! anyone ever let M16 dry LOL its like concrete! my dad found that out the hard way!
    Exactly my point. M16 is a great example. If you apply a thick coating of this by accident or because you new to detailing and don't really have a feel for what a thick or thin coating is then trying to wipe off a dried coating of M16 can dang near break your arm. I used M16 for years in my early detailing career and learned the hard way like everyone else to apply a thin coating. M16 is a true heavy wax also called a hard wax and when it dries if you applied a thick coating it's going to be very difficult to wipe-off.

Part of the problem with people applying too thick of a coating of any wax, sealant or coating is a mindset that goes like this,

If a little is good... more is better...

Now that's true of my bank account and my gas tank but when it comes to a wax, paint sealant or a coating, all you want is a thin coating, well-worked over the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

hahaha thats funny! great mids think alike yeah my dad put m16 on the whole car and let it sit for 30 mins before he tried to remove it. i was like didn't you listen to what i said? one panel at a time! wipe on the whole panel then wipe off immediately!
    irfan
    jeepgarage.org

Post Thanks / Like

well said Mike!!!! my dad def learned his lesson that day! lol
    irfan
    jeepgarage.org

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I had seen this thread before I applied Griots Best Of Show Wax! What a PITA to remove!

Mike Phillips

Re: A tip for working with waxes, paint sealants or coatings that are new to you

Bump for a clean URL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast