autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: A tip for working with waxes, paint sealants or coatings that are new to you

Excellent advice about going thin Mike!

People have to realize they are buffing off 99% of what they are putting on so it's illogical to think you would need any more than the thinnest coat possible to achieve complete coverage.

Well, of course my comment doesn't apply to wowa sealants like Ultima Paint Guard Plus or Optimum Opti Seal since they are not buffed off but then with wowa you use almost no product at all!
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A tip for working with waxes, paint sealants or coatings that are new to you

Good article, as always, Mike.

Under "The Swipe Test" section, specifically the blue "The Swipe Test" did you mean to put a link behind that?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by clintb View Post
    Good article, as always, Mike.

Under "The Swipe Test" section, specifically the blue "The Swipe Test" did you mean to put a link behind that?
    Yes!

I meant to but have not re-written my original article from MeguiarsOnline for the AG forum.

I think I originally wrote "The Swipe Test" in 2004 and then after I left Mike Stoops re-wrote my original article under his name and mine disappeared into the cyber ether...

I did re-write it for my e-book so I'll try to whip it out and add it to my article list and then edit the blue text on the first page of this thread to go to the article.

One thing though... you can't use the Swipe Test for Klasse Sealant Glaze unless you put it on whisper thin and then it still doesn't work very well as KSG really grips the paint.

The Swipe Test really only works for waxes and paint sealants that dry... excluding products like KSG and coatings like CQuartz.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: One tip for working with waxes, paint sealants or coatings that are new to you...

Quote Originally Posted by tmoney82 View Post
    I wish I had seen this thread before I applied Griots Best Of Show Wax! What a PITA to remove!
    If you apply too much of Griots Best of Show wax in some areas, it can be very easily removed with their Spray On wax.

Same principle applies to Griots polishes; if you put too much on, it can be easily removed with their Speed Shine product.
    Hey, when you turn your car on, does it return the favor?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all. Today I used a aio paint sealant and had lots of trouble removing it. Yesterday, I used the same product, applied the same way, no problems. Today was hotter and a little more humid plus the product sat in the hot sun in the back of my truck. Do products behave differently after sitting in the sun? Could the product be unusable and have to be replaced?

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,I personally don't remember a wax,sealant,coating that should be applied "Thick"?
    Team Flex PE14-2 150(Serial#0005)/3401/3403/XFE 7-15

Post Thanks / Like
    Good advice,

Last weekend, I applied a coat of 915........to my whole car, before wiping anything off. I have used it once or twice before, and it was really easy to work with, both on and off. The prior uses, I did one or two panels at a time, wiping off to completion. I was dumb enough to think it would translate into being able to do the entire car, take a short break, then wipe off............that was a lesson learned, the hard way. Still one of my favorite products........but I made an assumption, that cost me extra time and elbow grease.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by IID View Post
    Mike,I personally don't remember a wax,sealant,coating that should be applied "Thick"?

I don't either....

But I know how human beans think, especially when it comes to waxing their car....

IF a little is good... more is better....

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by freddie46 View Post

Do products behave differently after sitting in the sun?

Could the product be unusable and have to be replaced?
    Well a good rule of thumb is to not expose your car care products to either extreme heat or extreme cold temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by UglyBetty View Post
    Good advice,

Last weekend, I applied a coat of 915........to my whole car, before wiping anything off.
    I have used it once or twice before, and it was really easy to work with, both on and off. The prior uses, I did one or two panels at a time, wiping off to completion.

I was dumb enough to think it would translate into being able to do the entire car, take a short break, then wipe off............that was a lesson learned, the hard way.

Still one of my favorite products........but I made an assumption, that cost me extra time and elbow grease.

Well at least your arms got a good workout!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I don't either....

But I know how human beans think, especially when it comes to waxing their car....

IF a little is good... more is better....

Where were you when I was slathering on the wax back in the 80's? Removal was done with an old t-shirt by the way

11. Likes Jon TDS liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast