autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone ever seen this technique?

I couldnt watch the entire video due to feelings of an impending heartattack. Was just wondering if anyone else had seen this technique to get rid of overspray etc...Maybe some of you guys actually use it?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xwP5IqBIwo]YouTube - Epoxy Paint Overspray Removal- Allstate Insurance Claim[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anyone ever seen this technique?

Is that a plastic razor blade he's using on that? I personally would of used a claybar first. Typically you can get most overspray off with that. Seems like he'd be inducing a ton of scratches with that razor blade and just causing himself more work. Also, it looks like he's using a regular terry cloth to wipe the car clean. Probably just put some more swirls and scratches back into the paint. End result seems to look OK, but I'd be curious to see what it looks like in a full sun shot or some lights on it.

Personally, I wouldn't do it this way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJay's View Post
    Is that a plastic razor blade he's using on that? I personally would of used a claybar first. Typically you can get most overspray off with that. Seems like he'd be inducing a ton of scratches with that razor blade and just causing himself more work. Also, it looks like he's using a regular terry cloth to wipe the car clean. Probably just put some more swirls and scratches back into the paint. End result seems to look OK, but I'd be curious to see what it looks like in a full sun shot or some lights on it.

Personally, I wouldn't do it this way.
    Yea I just managed to make it to the end...(took some blood pressure meds) and while his "final inspection" looks good, im very puzzled by a lot of what I see to be absolutely terrible techniques.

I dont understand why you would buff a wax, let alone with a WOOL PAD, and follow up with an home depot orbital with the very same "Wax" to remove swirls?

Is this actually a tried and true method, or should I be ignoring it like 90% of the "paint correction" threads on youtube?

Post Thanks / Like

every step he did he seemed to be rushing. Why? take your time with it. no over lap with either polisher, or lack of, and that towel is flopping around like crazy!! lol

Post Thanks / Like

I personally believe that in roughly 2-3 weeks and a few washes that car will be scratched and swirled to high heaven. There is probably a large amount of fillers on the paint masking the true condition of the paint. It is difficult enough to finish down hologram free with a fine polish and no cut pad. I doubt he can do it with a wool pad and throwing the buffer around like that.

Jon
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like

If you guys don't mind I'll stick with my own approach!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

I can't view the video right now because its blocked, but I have used plastic razor blades and a high lube solution (QD or shampoo) to remove stubborn road paint and tar. It gets the "clump" off and then follow with clay. As long as the work area is washed and the edges of the the plastic blade are rouned prior to use, it can be used without inducing scratches. Not sure about the terry towel...i never recommend that.... Just my two cents...

BTW, the plastic blades come in handy when you get a car that has left over baked on wax in the creases of the emblems and badging when QD and MF or brush will not suffice.

Post Thanks / Like

With that much overspray you have no choice but to use a razor blade or lacquer thinner. BC2 is a great product to buff with. I knew a detail shop that did mainly used cars , and used BC2 all the time on 95% of the used cars he did and they came out great. He would follow with Megs #26. Whats wrong with terry towels? What do you think we used before MF towels.

Post Thanks / Like

I mean nowadays....I used them before MF's too.

Post Thanks / Like

agh everything about that video ... if you make it to the end the cord is dragging all over the hood.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast