autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mike Phillips

Re: The Beach Towel Tip

***Updated***

Just want to update this thread with a recent example of how to use a cover-up towel to save you from having to wipe off splatter dots of compound and polish after buffing out a car...

Blown 1934 Ford Pick-up - Show Car Makeover - Modeled by Kristin

Next we cover-up all the brightwork and there's lots of it. Take my word for it, when it comes to projects like this you don't dare get polish spatter dots on the engine or in this example the exposed running gear in the truck bed. It's not professional and besides that it would take you hours to wipe the little dots of polish splatter off.

The Autogeek Cover-up Towel is made from soft microfiber and can be washed and re-used. This come in real handy for covering up anything you don't want to get compound or polish splatter dots onto so you won't have to detail these areas with a toothbrush after the the wax has been removed.

The soft microfiber won't scratch paint or polished metals. Simple cover or wrap around components and then use a little painter's tape to secure them in place.

Here we've covered the polished aluminum gas tank and the chrome independent rear-end...

By covering these areas up it saved us time and frustration by NOT having to come back and detail these highly polished areas of this streetrod...

Autogeek Detailing Cover-Up Towel

Post Thanks / Like

I will be picking this up....can you autograph this as well? ;-)
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by alko View Post

I will be picking this up....can you autograph this as well? ;-)

Hey Alex,

Did you ever get one of the microfiber cover-up towels?

Post Thanks / Like

I've been trying to order one of these in my last 3 orders and that are still "out of stock" I think Mike used them all up in the show car garage? LOL
    Any idea when they might return?
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

I've experienced the same. My past 3 orders I've been unable to pick up a towel as they've been out of stock. Hoping to see them back soon!

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Buckskincolt View Post
    I've been trying to order one of these in my last 3 orders and that are still "out of stock" I think Mike used them all up in the show car garage? LOL
    Any idea when they might return?
    Quote Originally Posted by mark2dx View Post
    I've experienced the same. My past 3 orders I've been unable to pick up a towel as they've been out of stock. Hoping to see them back soon!

They were discontinued. They were really soft since they were microfiber and not cotton.

My original tip was to use a normal beach towel because they are readily available and for all the other reasons I listed in my article.

Most Beach Towels have a picture displayed "portrait" style that's why I always like this Pirate Beach Towel I found here in Stuart as it's "landscape" style.

But any "long" towel will work...

Mike Phillips

Just to add to this thread, recently I used the beach towel tip to cover JUST the wiper blade arms and not the windshield and someone referenced this thread and this technique and asked me why I didn't cover the entire windshiled?

Great question.

I answered it in the actual write-up and the reason was because I had planned on machine buffing the glass to remove road film.

Flex + Rupes vs Ceramiclear Paint - How to detail a Mercedes-Benz SL 550

From post #23

Quote Originally Posted by Centexhokie View Post

and why did you not cover the windshield with the beach towel as you show in your videos and your book?
    Great question!

If you look, I did use a cover-up towel to cover over and protect the wiper arm assemblies. This is mostly because I'm lazy and hate wiping splatter dots off components like this but it also has to do with saving time from having to do this kind of "detail" clean-up.

In this case, I opened the hood, wrapped the towel down the top side of the wiper arm assemblies and then pulled the rest of the towel down into the engine compartment.

What this did in one fell swoop was cover and protect these components fast and simple.

Then if you look, you'll see some painter's tape securing the top of the towel exposed to the windshield, and next to it having a strip of fat 3M Painter's Tape securing the edge of the towel to the glass. Look here,

The reason I did this was to hold the towel in place IN CASE I accidentally touched the towel with a wool pad spinning on a rotary buffer as I stated in my write up I machine polished all the glass.

Read what I wrote in post #3 and look at the pictures, specifically at the glass and you'll see there all creamed over with compound residue.

Almost every car I work on has some kind of road film on the glass and you can't make the paint all shiny and then give the customer back a shiny car with dull glass.

See this article I wrote here where I explained the reason for this technique here....

The Beach Towel Tip

The below is just a SMALL portion of this article, I'd recommend reading the entire article and checking out all the pictures...

Now in this example the tape is placed next to the back of the hood, that's due to how this Honda is designed.

Notice how I've run a couple of strips of wide tape along where the Beach Towel meets the rear edge of the hood?

In some cases, the design of the vehicle means there's no gap or air space between the edge of the hood and the glass or wiper arm area, in these cases, you have to be careful when running your polisher not to run the buffing pad into the Beach Towel because the nap is grippy and your buffing pad could grab it and yank it into itself.

So for cars with a low or no air-gap between the paint and the area you're trying to cover up, being careful when buffing these areas is important, but I also run a couple of strips of tape across this area as a buffing pad that's lubricated with product will just bump into the tape, it won't snag it and possibly pull it off the area and into the pad.

Just an extra safety precaution, you can decide how DO or AR you want to get.

But this last picture above showing the pad bumping into the the tape-line, this same thing could happen when I was buffing the windshield and if a wool pad spinning on a rotary buffer were to grab the terrycloth towel and YANK it off the car it would have YANKED the expensive Mercedes-Benz wiper arm assemblies with it and that would cause damage and cost money.

I didn't cover the windshield because I planned on buffing the glass and I DID run a strip of tape between the glass and the towel to avoid a whoops....

Don't ask me how I know these things...

When I buff out cars for other people I always tell them two things,

1. The job was done right. (and safe)

2. The job wasn't done wrong.

That's two things...

Mike Phillips

Just remembered this thread.

This is where the Autogeek Cover-up Towel Came from

Review: The Autogeek Cover-up Towel by Mike Phillips

Car Detailing History

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This is insane. Amazing work though.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by tacohaul View Post

This is insane. Amazing work though.

Insane or OCD? Either word works.

Interestingly enough, I share the Cover-up Towel at all my classes, I take 5-6 of these to my roadshow classes and for the last class in Ohio just this last weekend, (Saturday, September 14th and Sunday, September 15th, 2019), we had 2 canvas top convertibles and using the cover-up towels, I showed the 2 different ways to tackle when and how to apply the protectant to the top.

I'll explain later...

:_

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12