autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Here's a tip... don't lift the pad off the paint till you've turned the polisher off and the spinning pad has slowed down...

Here's a tip... don't lift the pad off the paint till you've turned the polisher off and the spinning pad has slowed down...

Whoops!

Here's what happens when you lift a polisher off the paint before allowing the pad to slow down and stop spinning...

This happened at out Detailing 101 Class...

Pictures & Comments from September 18th, 2010 Saturday Detailing 101

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Here's a tip... don't lift the pad off the paint till you've turned the polisher off and the spinning pad has slowed down...

Wow! I found myself lifting my PCXP early with my first encounter with it last weekend, but thankfully I was using M105 and it was breaking down fast enough that nothing could possibly sling off when I lifted.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Here's a tip... don't lift the pad off the paint till you've turned the polisher off and the spinning pad has slowed down...

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KSVT View Post
    Wow! I found myself lifting my PCXP early with my first encounter with it last weekend, but thankfully I was using M105 and it was breaking down fast enough that nothing could possibly sling off when I lifted.

Mark
    M105 breaking down?
    Jon Miles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonMiles View Post
    M105 breaking down?
    Sarcasm?

But seriously, after 2-3 section passes, there was no polish left and a bit of dust.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I think his question is due to the fact that M105 is a non-diminishing abrasive and theoretically does not break down. My guess is that you meant the M105 had finished correcting the area, flashed and was starting to dust and was ready to remove.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KSVT View Post
    Sarcasm?

But seriously, after 2-3 section passes, there was no polish left and a bit of dust.

Mark
    Huh I thought M105/205 used non-diminishing abrasives.

Anyways, even with something like Ultimate Compound I noticed a bit of sling off when I would raise my rotary off a bit early. Nothing like that pic though, good demonstrative image to burn this technique in!
    Mark
    2004 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eversio View Post

Huh I thought M105/205 used non-diminishing abrasives.

That is correct grasshopper.

The abrassives in 105 do not break down, but the carriers that are present in the formula will eventually dry up, which is why nothing flew off of Y2KSVT's pad.

Mike Phillips

And back on topic...

Remember to allow the spinning of your pad to slow down before lifting the pad off the surface...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fly bye View Post

That is correct grasshopper.

The abrassives in 105 do not break down, but the carriers that are present in the formula will eventually dry up, which is why nothing flew off of Y2KSVT's pad.

Thanks for clearing that up, haven't actually had the pleasure of using the 105/205 combo yet.
    Mark
    2004 Hyundai Sonata GLS V6

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I'm still learning the terminology. Instead of breaking down, I should have said disappeared, or turned to dust. It's not like the Wolf Gang Twins that you see Mike Phillips using in one of his videos where it still looks wet after 6 section passes.

Anyway, back on topic. Don't lift your pad before turning off the machine!

Mark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast