autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Just using soap and water on wheels

I truly think that the best thing to clean wheels with is just soap and water and various brushes. I would imagine all those fancy wheel cleaners that range from 10-20 dollars a bottle work fine and maybe even speed up the process on caked on brake dusted wheels. But I always keep coming back to just car shampoo and water since it has never ever failed me and I have never really needed to reach for any wheel cleaners.

I have found when a vechile is maintained then soap and water is all that is really necessary to be honest. All of my weekly wash customers wheels clean up extremly easily with soap and water and they are impressed with the results. I guess car washes and shampoos are underated.

Just something to think about.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just using soap and water on wheels

I very much agree that if a car is maintained, then soap and water work wonders. My fathers car which was bought brand new, and only has been washed by me only needs water and soap to make the wheels look great.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    I have found when a vechile is maintained then soap and water is all that is really necessary to be honest.
    But the key word here is`''maintained''.
    Problem is most vehicles that are in dire need of a detail are not maintained and the detailers need alot of elbow grease to get wheels cleaned properly. That elbow grease comes in the form of wheel degreases and our favorite acronym... APC. In essence, these products act as facilitators.
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Your right, if the car is maintained weekly or bi-weekly then they clean very easy with car wash soap. If you seal the wheels it make it alot easier to
    Shawn
    Sully's Detailling LLC - South Florida
    www.autogeek.net

Post Thanks / Like

Maintained is the key word, Ive done some cars where I needed some wheel acid to get them clean. But you are correct, if a vehicle is maintained properly then there is no need to put any type of wheel cleaner on other than soap and water.
    "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
    Jon Leidgen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    I truly think that the best thing to clean wheels with is just soap and water and various brushes. I would imagine all those fancy wheel cleaners that range from 10-20 dollars a bottle work fine and maybe even speed up the process on caked on brake dusted wheels. But I always keep coming back to just car shampoo and water since it has never ever failed me and I have never really needed to reach for any wheel cleaners.

I have found when a vechile is maintained then soap and water is all that is really necessary to be honest. All of my weekly wash customers wheels clean up extremly easily with soap and water and they are impressed with the results. I guess car washes and shampoos are underated.

Just something to think about.
    My sentiments are aligned with the other members here, if the wheels are maintained then they don't need dedicated wheel cleaners. All I use is car wash soap and a brush. The dedicated wheels cleaners are mostly for wheels that have baked-on brake dust.
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget to wax / sealant you wheels too.

Post Thanks / Like

I might disagree with one point, some brake pads (like those used on German Sedans) often times need a budge once theyve blackened the wheels. Wheel Cleaners offer this in those circumstances. The idea is to use the safest yet most effective cleaner when needed. Often times soap/water is indeed all thats needed on a protected and well cared for wheel and those that are washed/cleaned on a normal and frequent basis.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed with kilerwheels, try soap and water on a blackened wheel and you will never get the result a wheel cleaner can give