autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Glass fog light restore

Oh I didn't put the HIDs in the fogs, LOL. You can see the bulbs in the pics. I agree about people w/ PnP kits who don't know what they are doing, see my previous post. Great info though! I'll do a quick write up on the HID install.

Thanks for the compliment Impressions!
    Last edited by A4 1.8tqm; 01-08-2010 at 09:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A4 1.8tqm View Post
    Killr- Were your wife's headlights plastic or glass? Just curious.
    plastic ... I believe its actually Lexan that GM uses.

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Cool, I was thinking about shooting a few coats on my headlights. I'll have to see how the fogs hold up first though.

Post Thanks / Like

What a day and night transformation. Wow! Great Work. They look great. I'll definitely be saving this thread.
    Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Another thread reminded me of this one and I figured I should update the results. Since the restore on 1/3/2010 I have not payed any special attention to the fogs, I driven on snowboarding trips and regular daily commutes in crappy Wa. weather. Here is what they look like, I just went out to take this pic a moment ago, 4:18pm 3/12/2010.
    Edit: forgot to post the pic. LOL

A few dings, as expected, but still lookin good!
    Last edited by A4 1.8tqm; 03-12-2010 at 07:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I didn't put the HIDs in the fogs, LOL. You can see the bulbs in the pics. I agree about people w/ PnP kits who don't know what they are doing, see my previous post. Great info though! I'll do a quick write up on the HID install.

Thanks for the compliment Impressions!
    Not trying to crap just inform, but you did just put HID's in a normal reflector housing. What turbos17 said was correct that just unplugging your old bulbs & putting a HID bulb in, can be illegal.

By putting HID's in a non-HID housing you have what they call scatter because the light is just scattered off the reflective housing, where as in a correct HID housing the light is projected and has a cutoff.

I have attached 4 photos that show 1 a normal housing, 2 a housing modded for HID's, 3 the actual housing that projects the light, and lastly what is called HID cutoff

Here is a link where I got the photo's from that shows you a step by step on how he retro-fitted the housing for HID's
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Glass fog light restore-dsc06771_small-jpg   Glass fog light restore-dsc07629_small-jpg   Glass fog light restore-dsc06977_small-jpg   Glass fog light restore-bbbbbml1-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

You can cover the light with Venture Shield and it won't turn yellow again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trek View Post
    Not trying to crap just inform, but you did just put HID's in a normal reflector housing. What turbos17 said was correct that just unplugging your old bulbs & putting a HID bulb in, can be illegal.

By putting HID's in a non-HID housing you have what they call scatter because the light is just scattered off the reflective housing, where as in a correct HID housing the light is projected and has a cutoff.

[/URL]
    I guess I was a little confusing in the OP. I said that I did an HID install, when I was done I stood back and next to the new HIDs, my fogs looked terrible so I restored the fogs. Two seperate things, the HID install andf the fog light restoration.

Thanks for looking out trek, If I didn't know that, I would have been grateful for the warning. As I said before the HIDs did not go in the fogs, you can see the bulb in the after pics. The stock headlight assembly is built for HIDs with the projector lens already built in. Very convenient for me was the stock ballast housing/bracket, made for a very clean install. Here's a little write-up on the install.

Low beams have stock projectors-

Back of headlight-

I used a dremel to cut the smallest possible opening to accommodate the new wiring-

Perfect fit-

Rubber fitting sits nicely-

Bottom of headlight, mounting for stock ballast-

More dremmeling for ballast wiring. Double sided adhesive foam sticker to hold it in place-

Piece of Plexiglas to complete the install-

The headlights have a very defined cutoff. Each bulb has a cutoff that is lower on the left like this ____/-------, It's hard to show with keystrokes but each light's cut off is lower on the left. It's shown in a pic on retrosolutions website. It's so the lights don't blind on coming traffic, but still lights up the right side of the road, like the side walk. I love 'em.
    Last edited by A4 1.8tqm; 04-01-2010 at 03:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I was a little confusing in the OP. I said that I did an HID install, when I was done I stood back and next to the new HIDs, my fogs looked terrible so I restored the fogs. Two seperate things, the HID install andf the fog light restoration.

Thanks for looking out trek, If I didn't know that, I would have been grateful for the warning. As I said before the HIDs did not go in the fogs, you can see the bulb in the after pics. The stock headlight assembly is built for HIDs with the projector lens already built in. Very convenient for me was the stock ballast housing/bracket, made for a very clean install. Here's a little write-up on the install.
    Ah yes I was mistaken. Np, and nice install

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Trek! I'm still amazed at the results I got on the fogs, and I highly recommend retrosolutions for any one looking for HID hits, nice guy's good service, great product.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast