autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

ONR: The Definitive Thread

ONR Dilutions (Per Label):
    Wash solution: 1oz per 2 gallons
    Clay lube: 2oz per gallon
    Quick detailer: 8oz per gallon (updated from 6oz on first version)

ONR Directions (Per Label):
    1. Add 1oz to 2 gallons of water in a wash bucket
    2. Soak wash media in solution and wash vehicle in sections
    3. Dry each section two clean towels consecutively

Alternate Method w/Presoak (Thanks SUPERBEE364 and EXCELDETAIL)
    1. Spray down each panel with QD strength ONR. (pump type garden sprayer)
    2. Wipe each panel down gently with a dripping wet MF from the ONR bucket.
    3. Rinse and squeeze out the MF, get it dripping wet again, and redo the same panel.
    4. Dry the panel with a clean MF followed by a second MF
    (Sup prefers to use distilled water exclusively, too.)

No Rinse Guide With Pics by:Excel Detail

FAQs (Thanks Dr. G, BENCE & ANTHONY O.):
    1. Why does it feel slimy and not foam?: ONR should feel somewhat slimy, as this provides lubrication/encapsulation which carries away the unwanted dirt particles from the surface. This is a good slime.
    2. Why is my wash media so much dirtier than when I do a traditional wash?: ONR binds the dirt to the wash media intentionally. You should change mitts as needed. They can then be soaked in regular detergent to release the dirt before rinsing or washed in the machine.
    3. What are the environmental advantages?: Much less water is used by eliminating the rinsing step, not to mention on average only 2 gallons are used to wash vs. 6-10 gallons with the two bucket method (not including rinsing). Also, with a regular wash the mitt will release the dirt into the (usually 5 gallon X 2) rinse bucket, it would likely end in the storm drains when you dumped the buckets. With the ONR wash you can wash your mitts in your machine and dump the remainder of the 2 gallons of solution into the sink or toilet where the dirt goes to the right place where water can be treated/purified. Optimum Products also come packaged in HDPE bottles (which are one of the few widely recyclable plastics)
    4. Should I still use the two-bucket method to prevent marring?: ONR softens water, so the bigger particles just sink to the bottom of the bucket. It’s like having a built-in grit guard in the wash solution. Smaller particles end up in the wash media.
    5. Is there any advantage to using DI/distilled water to make the solution?: Softer water cooperates well with ONR. ONR's actives bond to the minerals of hard waters, therefore you may add more ONR to harder waters. DI/distilled water have no such minerals and the cleaning/protecting power of ONR can be exploited without weakening. These kind of waters will feel slimier than tap water.
    6. My ONR Clay lube lost its color, will it still do the job or is it ruined?: ONR may lose its color when the sun hits it directly, but this won't affect its performance.
    7. My car is really dirty, should I use more of the concentrate?: Using significantly more than the recommended dosage won't multiply ONR's performance; it will work effectively with the recommended amounts. You can still fine-tune the dosage to your exact needs (soiling of the vehicle, water hardness, wash media type, etc.).

(1 oz per gallon vs 1 oz per 2 gallons)
    Thank you for bringing up this question. The polymers in No Rinse have reactive groups that bond and trap dirt particles making the dirt particles virtually non-abrasive. They also bond to oily particles and emulsify them into water. The latter is equivalent to the cleaning action from soaps which also work by emulsifying oil particles into water. However, with soap there is no interaction with dirt. This is why adding No Rinse to a regular wash also helps protect the paint from dirt particles.

The No Rinse polymers also bond to all automotive surfaces and create a slick surface and act as a barrier to protect paint from marring. That is something that soap will not provide since surfactants in soaps have no affinity for painted or other automotive surfaces.

When you use 1 oz. of No Rinse in 1 or 2 gallons of water for your wash at the molecular level this provides hundreds of billions of polymer molecules to do what was said above. Additional product will not be necessary except if you are using tap water that contains high levels of minerals such as calcium hydroxide or silicates. In these cases some of the polymers will bond to these minerals and take them out of solution therefore more product might be necessary to compensate for this effect. This is another reason why adding No Rinse to a regular car wash soap improves the results when using tap water.

For claying, the recommended level is 2 oz. per gallon, however, the actual product usage is far less. For instance if you are using 16 oz. of clay lube to clay a car, at this dilution you are actually putting 1/4 oz. of No Rinse on the surface. Same thing goes for using No Rinse as a quick detailer.

These levels were of course tested for several months and hundreds of washes of heavily soiled cars before we started offering No Rinse three years ago. I hope this helps answer your question. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance. Thanks again.

Dr. G (copied from Optimum Forums Ask Dr. G section)

8. Can ONR be used to clean windows and interiors? Yes, ONR can be used for an interior and exterior glass cleaner. It can be used at the regular QD mix.....a bit stronger if you're doing nasty windows and a bit less if doing more regular upkeep type cars.

If you notice streaks and smears then you need to cut it back with water.

ONR Technique (Thanks SCOTTWAX):
    Body: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLIGQ5hTnj4&feature=channel]YouTube - Washing a Cayenne with ONR[/video]

Wheels: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSgdMAGjU_s]YouTube - Optimum No Rinse and wheels part 1[/video]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmJ64kVFlJw&feature=related]YouTube - Optimum No Rinse and wheels part 2[/video]

Engine: ONR engine detail - Autopia.org

Claying: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF1lSdpZYnk]YouTube - Claying with Optimum No Rinse[/video]

Touch-ups: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yusa82nJIBQ&feature=related]YouTube - ONR vs bird bomb[/video]

Fenderwells:[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fUtu6JB5aQ]YouTube - Fenderwell cleaning with Optimum No Rinse Wash[/video]

ONR Wash Media Threads:
    ONR Users: What kind of mitt do you use? - Autopia.org

My Favorite ONR Mitt - Autopia.org

ONR Media...?? - Autopia.org

ONR Media - Autopia.org
    ONR Capabilities Threads:
    ONR, think youe've reached the limits! - Autopia.org

Shun the nonbelievers! (Another ONR thread) - Autopia.org

ONR on my silverado - Autopia.org

Tried out some ONR (pics) - Autopia.org

ONR time - Autopia.org

Whoh! I clayed with ONR and my car looks stunning! - Autopia.org

Here's my testimony to ONR - Autopia.org

Another ONR Lover (pics inside) - Autopia.org
    Last edited by Chris Thomas; 08-01-2009 at 12:44 PM.

2. Thanks wooly4228 thanked for this post
    Likes GAMBIT61 liked this post
    SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ONR: The Definitive Thread

Saw this on Autopia, it should really help out newbies to ONR

Post Thanks / Like

I am a underachieving at overachieving and feel good about it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wisemonkey View Post
    . I'm no newbie to ONR. Used it many times but learned more about it from your posting than all of my uses. Thank You.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info... I will now be able to safely wash my vehicles this winter.

Post Thanks / Like

Very informative information on this product / application methodololgy; I very much appreciate the work that's involved in this type of thread...

Post Thanks / Like

yes great thread for nubs. I also use ONR to clean dusting after each polish step.
    Detailed Reflections

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome thread definitley answers alot of questions that some may have . Thanks for putting it all together. I love ONR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ron !!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robb01 View Post
    Saw this on Autopia, it should really help out newbies to ONR
    Quote Originally Posted by wisemonkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    . I'm no newbie to ONR. Used it many times but learned more about it from your posting than all of my uses. Thank You.
    Quote Originally Posted by ewiesner View Post
    Thanks for the info... I will now be able to safely wash my vehicles this winter.
    Thanks to you all for the kind words. My intentions were obviously realized. It's good to see a need and be able to help. I know I have gotten a ton of help from the forum and it's nice to give some back!

Quote Originally Posted by TOGWT View Post
    Very informative information on this product / application methodololgy; I very much appreciate the work that's involved in this type of thread...
    And I have enjoyed your professional and always spot-on replies for years. I find myself looking to the ############# from time to time, just to see if you've updated it. How many hours have YOU invested? My hat is off you YOU my friend!

Quote Originally Posted by mixxer View Post
    yes great thread for nubs. I also use ONR to clean dusting after each polish step.
    I think I will mention that in the next revision, thankd MIXXER!

Quote Originally Posted by rwisejr View Post
    Awesome thread definitley answers alot of questions that some may have . Thanks for putting it all together. I love ONR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Updated with new fenderwell cleaning video.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast