autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: ONR: The Definitive Thread

Thanks builthatch

It's also hard to tell listening to that video, but is he suggesting you can clay towel the vehicle just after the initial ONR wash without drying and rewetting with ONR first?

I tried listening several times and I just can't make it out. It's right around the 1:55 min mark. Kinda sounds like he says the car needs to be pre washed, then right after he says wash the car as normal, but don't dry it.?

I would assume you would wash, dry, rewet, spray wax, then clay towel. Not from the start: ONR, spray wax, clay towel, dry?

Post Thanks / Like

builthatch is right; you can't convince me that rinseless doesn't incure some risk. I want to shed some light here from my experience.
    I've noticed a lot of scratches in my paint lately. I polished most out last year. Since then, 80% of my washes have been rinseless. I use Eagle 70/30 MF towels folded in sections, and use a new section per swipe. If I am instilling swirls with this method, can the sponge that doesn't seam to get rinsed enough be any safer?
    Ultimately, I really don't care about the swirls. In fact, I prefer them. It gives me an excuse to polish my vehicle again. That makes my original post mute to my purposes, but maybe not to someone else who minds swirls.
    Given what I just said about not minding swirls, maybe I should switch to a sponge. Go figure...

Post Thanks / Like

Unless you have really soft clear coat as long as you are cautious and don't ONR wash when the vehicle is overly dirty, ONR washes are completely safe.

Have around 1,000 ONR washes under my belt to date.
    Visual Pro Detailing - Auto Detailing near Marion, IL. Call
    (618) 983-9706 www.visualprodetailing.com

Super Member CarolinasFinestDetailing's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantilgh View Post
    ^exactly, he doesn't rinse the sponge, unless you consider the re-dunk and squeeze as the rinse.

Not to dis the man that made the video or ONR, but I thought the same thing as expdetailing about not flipping and not rinsing(the sponge).

Also thought the same thing when I watched the CB method video. First thought there was "wow, that must be a pretty clean car for him not to be flipping to a new side of the towel much."

Does ONR really do such a great job of encapsulating dirt and providing slickness that it makes it less necessary?

I'm typically afraid to make one full swipe on a panel with out flipping but I use traditional surfactant car wash soap. I have not tried any rinseless or waterless washes though.
    I admit, it was super hard for me to convert, especially with the salt build up I deal with in winter. But Yvan spent time talking me through. It's a huge time saver. You just have to keep your mind open.

Try this, fill a cup with ONR water, then put some dirt on top, watch.

Thanks builthatch

It's also hard to tell listening to that video, but is he suggesting you can clay towel the vehicle just after the initial ONR wash without drying and rewetting with ONR first?

I tried listening several times and I just can't make it out. It's right around the 1:55 min mark. Kinda sounds like he says the car needs to be pre washed, then right after he says wash the car as normal, but don't dry it.?

I would assume you would wash, dry, rewet, spray wax, then clay towel. Not from the start: ONR, spray wax, clay towel, dry?
    No, wash with ONR, then clay via spray wax, then wipe dry. You would basically do this panel by panel if in the sun or it's warm.
    Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    builthatch is right; you can't convince me that rinseless doesn't incure some risk. I want to shed some light here from my experience.
    I've noticed a lot of scratches in my paint lately. I polished most out last year. Since then, 80% of my washes have been rinseless. I use Eagle 70/30 MF towels folded in sections, and use a new section per swipe. If I am instilling swirls with this method, can the sponge that doesn't seam to get rinsed enough be any safer?
    Ultimately, I really don't care about the swirls. In fact, I prefer them. It gives me an excuse to polish my vehicle again. That makes my original post mute to my purposes, but maybe not to someone else who minds swirls.
    Given what I just said about not minding swirls, maybe I should switch to a sponge. Go figure...
    Most swirling or marring normally occurs from drying actually. ONR leaves behind slickness to help. Personally, I prefer to use plush MF towels over waffle weave to dry.
    Carolina`s Finest Detailing - Charlotte areas preferred CQuartz Finest Reserve & GTECHNIQ Crystal Serum Ultra coating center. STEK/Suntek PPF
    www.Carolinasfinestdetailing.me

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    A sponge is not a flat surface. It's an extremely porous surface. Think of it like a reverse plush microfiber towel; the pile is "inside" the spong and pores versus the "outside" of a towel with a deep pile.
    Former professional detailer. Current medical student (class of 2023)

2017 Infiniti Q60 3.0t AWD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sicktred08fsi View Post
    I prefer to use plush MF towels over waffle weave to dry.
    yep. dry me crazy towel is perfect. you can just touch the car with the towel - blot, etc. no need to wipe.
    '09 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG / '14 Audi Q5 3.0 S-Line / '99.5 Pathfinder SE

I DO NOT support or recommend Oakes.

Post Thanks / Like

ONR is my go-to clay lube, and it always works great in that application. I just can't help but wonder how it is that the solution that is expected to deal with the dirtiest surface, the wash solution, is the solution with the lowest ratio? I would expect the QD to have the lowest dilution ratio, as the surface will likely be the cleanest at the time of using it rather then the wash solution. Just a thought and something I have pondered more than once.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Post Thanks / Like

I've found that the qd ratio works more along the lines of a waterless wash than just a qd.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks builthatch

Ha, I guess it's been a little while.

I started doing this (ONR, spray wax, clay towel, and then dry) shortly after I post the above and have great results with it.

Definitely a good production style wash for daily drivers. Be cautious on soft paint though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buck91 View Post
    I've found that the qd ratio works more along the lines of a waterless wash than just a qd.
    Exactly what I have found also. I us the QD ration for all three applications. I got 4L of ECO2o on sale, so I have no shortage of product to dilute. Ha.
    2019 GLI 35th Edition DSG in Pure Grey w/ OEM+ IS38 turbocharger and various bolt-ons.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast