autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Window cleaning trick

My customer have had their vehicles to two different dealership detailers in town. Unfortunatley they streaked/contaminated the absolute hell out of the inside of their windows and I was contacted to fix it. To make sure I gave them a clean interior and exterior window detail with coating, I set up my Speed Master inspection light on top of the fridge in my garage on the yellow setting to simulate a early morning/dusk sun angle. This made any and all streaks and imperfections show to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Owner/Operator Auto Massage LLC - www.automassagellc.com
    Custom painter and commissioned artist - www.spikedairstudio.com

2. Thanks jeffb thanked for this post
    Likes PaulMys, JT Moto, DMiglio, Thomkirby, VISITOR liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Window cleaning trick

Thanks for sharing.

For some people - the most important detail is clear glass.

Me? I hate doing windows.

4. Thanks Craig Encinitas, RamAirV1, mgb10155 thanked for this post
    Likes Craig Encinitas, SANTA3013, pdl2mtl90 liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Not to try to take away from your thread, but here's the nastiest glass I've ever cleaned.

Really really gross.

How to remove Smokers Film off inside of windshield - Review: BLACKFIRE Glass Cleaner

This is NASTY!

This oily film on the inside of the windshield is called

Smoker's Film

It's an oily film that builds up on the inside of a car's window glass from the smoke and carcinogens breathed out from a cigarette smoker.

Not only is it difficult to remove because it's oily, it also makes driving unsafe because when the sun shines onto the windshield it dramatically increases the results of GLARE.

Negatives of the above original pictures

Using a program called LviewPro, I turned the above pictures into photographic negatives.

Look closely. See the millions of BLACK DOTS?
    These are chunks of oily smoker's film that have clumped together with dirt and dust over time. If you look at the finger strokes where I wrote the word Film with my index finger, you can see where I pushed groups of the clumped oily black dots together to form darker areas in the letters

That's gross....

To capture the pictures I used some Spot Lights

6. Likes Thomkirby, Mike Hoekstra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a pro but on our vehicles I spend extra time on the edges and corners of the windows. I use D120 and a lot of dedicated waffle weave towels to clean windows. The last thing I do is go for all edges and corners and make sure they are pristine. It makes a huge difference for anyone who looks closely and subconsciously if the edges and corners are pristine. It uses up another towel or two but I have a stack of those so no big deal.

For the interior windshield I use one of those plastic wand thingies with the handle on it (mine is Stoner but there are many variants out there). I don't use the dedicated microfiber that wraps around the edges, I just use my 16x16 waffle-weave towels layered over the flat surface of the wand head. It stays on fine when I'm wiping the glass.

8. Likes PaulMys, dgage liked this post
    Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey Mike View Post
    My customer have had their vehicles to two different dealership detailers in town. Unfortunatley they streaked/contaminated the absolute hell out of the inside of their windows and I was contacted to fix it. To make sure I gave them a clean interior and exterior window detail with coating, I set up my Speed Master inspection light on top of the fridge in my garage on the yellow setting to simulate a early morning/dusk sun angle. This made any and all streaks and imperfections show to remove.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    WOW!!! I am totally impressed!!! When people see me doing this they will think I'm a genius but I will definetly give the credit to YOU buddy! This is awesome!!!

10. Thanks Mike Hoekstra thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Thanks for sharing.

For some people - the most important detail is clear glass.

Me? I hate doing windows.

Windows aren't great, but myself personally can't stand glare on my windows. Particularly at night while driving.

Post Thanks / Like

Not to try to take away from your thread, but here's the nastiest glass I've ever cleaned.

Really really gross.

How to remove Smokers Film off inside of windshield - Review: BLACKFIRE Glass Cleaner

This is NASTY!

Smoker's Film

It's an oily film that builds up on the inside of a car's window glass from the smoke and carcinogens breathed out from a cigarette smoker.

Not only is it difficult to remove because it's oily, it also makes driving unsafe because when the sun shines onto the windshield it dramatically increases the results of GLARE.

Using a program called LviewPro, I turned the above pictures into photographic negatives.

These are chunks of oily smoker's film that have clumped together with dirt and dust over time. If you look at the finger strokes where I wrote the word Film with my index finger, you can see where I pushed groups of the clumped oily black dots together to form darker areas in the letters

That's gross....

Yeah.... that's just gross.

Super Member Jacob Harrod AUTOCLEAN's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Really really gross.

This is NASTY!

Smoker's Film

That's gross....

Meguiars M122 in a half liter Mercury Kwazar will make light work of any interior windshield film.

14. Dislikes zefer disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

the way we cleaned glass at the dealership was to spray glass cleaner on the glass , then wipe with a wet water sprite chamois then wipe dry with paper towels that are made for cleaning glass. we never had a problem with streaks i suppose you could use a wet towel instead of a chamois, and use a mf towel to wipe dry . you just cant spray and wipe, you have to wash the glass.

Mike Phillips

Some of you may have never seen this article I wrote.

It has some photography that was a tick tricky to obtain. I liked the title I came up with too.

Remove the glare from where you stare

Window Glare

I used my last Monster Truck for this article.

And after sharing this technique and HOW and WHY it works - a good friend of mine launched their own interior glass polish.

Me? Been doing this stuff a long freaking time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast