autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Hand Application of One-Step Sealant

Hi all,

I'm new here, so I'll start by saying hello. I look forward to getting to know you all, and learning from you, too.

I'm also looking forward to preparing my car this weekend for a road trip in a couple of weeks. My goal is more protection than correction, but I want to establish a nice, clean base to maintain moving forward.

I'm looking at buying a bottle of Griot's One-Step Sealant to apply after a thorough wash and clay. I'll be applying the product by hand, as I don't have a machine. So, my questions:

1. What's an appropriate technique to apply this product by hand? Circular or back-and-forth motions? Lots of pressure or light pressure? Etc.
    2. What's an appropriate applicator for this product? I have some fresh microfiber applicators I could use, but it seems like maybe I should use a foam applicator, instead.
    3. What should I do when the sealant needs to be reapplied? Should I reapply the One-Step product, or apply an abrasive-less wax/sealant?

Any other tips/tricks or recommendations you have are welcome.

That's all from me. Thanks for checking out my post.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hand Application of One-Step Sealant

Welcome.

If you're hand applying it and not polishing, I would suggest skipping clay bar because that can leave marring on the paint that won't come off unless you polish it.

Also, I think I would use one of these 2 products instead of the Griot's One-Step sealant:

Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant delivers a deep, wet, liquid shimmer unlike anything you can imagine. This one is probably one of the best sealants out there and so easy to use.

Wolfgang SiO2 Paint Sealant This is a newer version of the above, SiO2 enhanced. Might be even better but hasn't been around long enough to say that for sure.

There are also other products that are spray applied and could be laid regularly, say every month or two, that could give you great performance. This one comes to mind:

Griot's Garage Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax (they must be sold out of the small bottle and it's not coming up in a search but this exists and I'd get the small bottle first before the gallon to know if you like it)
    Bruno Soares

3. Thanks zmcnulty thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply, Bruno. I will definitely consider the products you recommended. I checked out your GTI. Looks great! Thanks, again.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcnulty View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Bruno. I will definitely consider the products you recommended. I checked out your GTI. Looks great! Thanks, again.
    Thanks. My first few pictures in that gallery were with the Wolfgang Sealant I recommended. Nowadays I use ceramic coatings. A lot more work at first but then it's so much easier to keep the car clean.
    Bruno Soares

6. Thanks zmcnulty thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

2018 Colorado ZR2

8. Thanks zmcnulty thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you speak to the effectiveness of a paint cleaner? Is something like that worth while if I'm going to skip the clay and go straight to wax?

Post Thanks / Like

Strongly suggest getting a dual action polisher. If you want to keep expenses down the Harbor Freight DA is more than adequate and very reasonably priced. Then you will do better work faster with less effort. I bought one and later got a higher end machine. Many recommendations here.

11. Likes zmcnulty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Dennis. It’s definitely on the list, but, for now, I’m just planning on prepping the car for a road trip. One thing I’m concerned about in purchasing a machine polisher is how I’ll manage my way around the front and back bumpers. They’re tighter spots. I’m sure more research will help calm my fear about that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcnulty View Post
    Can you speak to the effectiveness of a paint cleaner? Is something like that worth while if I'm going to skip the clay and go straight to wax?
    1. You want a clean surface (ie. paint) to promote bonding of your sealant or coating.

2. "Dirty" paint (from road film, contamination, etc.) will hide its true color/depth of color.

Also, you asked about technique. Here's an article by Mike on hand application. While the title refers to polishes and cleaners, the technique described within is fairly universal, esp. the part about how to hold the pad/applicator.

How to use a hand applied abrasive polish or paint cleaner by hand

You might look in to the combo of Blackfire One Step topped with Blackfire BlackICE Hybrid Liquid Wax. The One Step will give you cleaning + light polishing + sealant, then top with the BlackICE for added layer of shine and protection. Both can be applied by hand, though machine application is always preferrable.

14. Thanks zmcnulty thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the link and product recommendations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast