autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

New Car Paint Job Doesn't Feel Smooth to the Touch?

So a few months ago I made a post on a DIY rattle can job I was testing on my car, and so far I have completed just the back door. I used Rustoleum 2x paint + primer, and Dupli-Color Perfect Match as the clear coat. Someone replied saying I shouldn't have used that on top of the Rustoleum? But either way, it's been almost 3 months, and though everything's still fine and holding up well, to the touch, it doesn't feel nearly as smooth as any other car's exterior finish does; it's somewhat rough-feeling in comparison. I applied about 3 layers of clear coat back when I was finishing the paint job (first two were really light). When I touch any other car, it feels extremely glossy and I can leave a little smudge imprint on it with my hand (not that that's necessarily a GOOD thing, just explaining the smoothness of the finish). This car paint finish of mine doesn't feel that way, almost as if it's not nearly as protected.

Any ideas as to why this may be? Should I use a different clear coat? Is this normal? Thanks in advance.

Mike Phillips

Re: New Car Paint Job Doesn't Feel Smooth to the Touch?

When doing these types of paint jobs it's real easy to get overspray or dry spray onto the car. You can also end up with mottling in the paint surface, a kind of pebbled texture.

For the overspray or dry spray you can fix by claying or using a clay substitute.

For paint mottling you'll need to wet sand by hand or machine - usually a high grit like #2000, #3000 or #5000

3. Likes RamAirV1 liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    When doing these types of paint jobs it's real easy to get overspray or dry spray onto the car. You can also end up with mottling in the paint surface, a kind of pebbled texture.

For the overspray or dry spray you can fix by claying or using a clay substitute.

For paint mottling you'll need to wet sand by hand or machine - usually a high grit like #2000, #3000 or #5000

Thank you.

Is there anything wrong with using Dupli-Color Perfect Match as a clear coat for Rustoleum 2x paint? As I said a few months ago someone said that shouldn't be done. Do you think this is true? If so, is there an alternate clear coat you recommend?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainFalcon View Post
    Thank you.

Is there anything wrong with using Dupli-Color Perfect Match as a clear coat for Rustoleum 2x paint? As I said a few months ago someone said that shouldn't be done. Do you think this is true? If so, is there an alternate clear coat you recommend?
    I can't help with that question - it's possible there could be a bad reaction in solvents and it's possible there would be no problems.

You could do a test section and see what happens.

Also - call Dupli-Color and ask them, they've probably seen this question before.

6. Thanks RamAirV1 thanked for this post