autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steamers...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Steamers...

Quote Originally Posted by ChadLoew View Post
    Maybe I'm wasting my time with a cheap one??
    I wouldn’t go as far as saying you are wasting your time with a cheap one. It’s is still very possible to get great results with an economic model. I did it for years.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my thought on it. I don’t have one, I will need one shortly, the one I want is $1000. Absolutely the $200 McCulloch will work fine, but if hopefully down the road I have a need for the bigger unit, I will still need to spend $1000. I have budgeted for the Chief steamer now, to just be done with it.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Vapamore MR100 and am very satisfied with it. I'm not a professional, so it doesn't get daily use. For the average person, I don't see the need to go beyond it price-wise.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to keep it under $250.00
    Maybe I'm wasting my time with a cheap one??
    When I first started out I was 100% mobile and I went through about one steamer per year using those cheap McCulloch versions. Since they are an integrated unit there really is no way to repair anything if it breaks. Mine would always fail on the hose somewhere. If I could go back and do it over again I would have just saved up for an actual commercial grade steamer and not waste my time with the cheap ones.

Now in a shop setting we have two Vapor Chief units and couldn't be happier with them. Currently own a 75 and 100 (the 100 gets the most usage) and they work literally 10x better than the cheaper McCulloch models. If you could compare any of the Vapor Chief units side by side with a McCulloch you would understand that there really is no comparison. The cheap ones just seem like a toy when put side by side with a professional grade machine that actually builds and sustains usable steam pressure for longer than 5 seconds.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

This is my thought exactly. I go mobile full time in May, and figured buying a cheap one would be a waste in the long run.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    I have a Vapamore MR100 and am very satisfied with it. I'm not a professional, so it doesn't get daily use. For the average person, I don't see the need to go beyond it price-wise.
    I’d just buy a quality one and get it over with. I went through 5 rounds of replacing/repairing my Mcculloch steamer.

With all the money put towards that, I could have already purchased a more expensive steamer. Of course I don’t have $899+ lying around sometimes when I need other things for the business.

But I said to myself the next time it dies...done-zo! I’ll be for sure buying a quality steamer next time. That’s a guarantee.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in the same boat. I bought two McCulloch Steamers, cheap plastic ones, for cleaning interiors. Worst idea. They both died within a few months.

I found Chief Steamer on this forum and checked out their Chief Steamer Mini 65. Unlike the other Chief Steamers, the Mini 65 didn't have as many videos and action videos showing the steam. Again, like you I wanted something cheap but realized that buying cheap plastic steamers to do work that it wasn't built for wasn't cheap either. I called Chief Steamers number, spoke with Kevin who I read great things about, and decided to buy the Mini 65. Been using it for two weeks and I love it. It's steelcase, heats up very quickly and feels like a commercial steamer even though they are saying its a residential steamer.

I may get an upgrade with Chief Steamer, looking at the 75 Single, if the business grows and things are less hectic at the house but for now, the Mini 65 is doing work and making me money!!

It's $439, but I used coupon code "10bucksonus" to get 10 bucks off. If you are going to use steam to clean cars, learn from my mistake, just spend the extra money, get a Chief Steamer Mini 65 and save in the long run. The cheap ones will always break and fast! They arent built for what we are using them for.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

How much steaming time do you get with the Chief Steamer 75???

Did you get the 75 Refill or the 75 Single??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UpStateDetailer View Post
    How much steaming time do you get with the Chief Steamer 75???

Did you get the 75 Refill or the 75 Single??
    I didn't know they had a 75 refill unit. Whichever one you get I would always recommend a machine that can be refilled on the fly without needing to wait for it to cool down. With that being said the 75 will normally get us through a sedan interior in average condition... but it really sucks to have to stop, let it cool down, refill, heat back up when you're right in the middle of a nasty interior that's already taking longer then expected.
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UpStateDetailer View Post
    I was in the same boat. I bought two McCulloch Steamers, cheap plastic ones, for cleaning interiors. Worst idea. They both died within a few months.

I found Chief Steamer on this forum and checked out their Chief Steamer Mini 65. Unlike the other Chief Steamers, the Mini 65 didn't have as many videos and action videos showing the steam. Again, like you I wanted something cheap but realized that buying cheap plastic steamers to do work that it wasn't built for wasn't cheap either. I called Chief Steamers number, spoke with Kevin who I read great things about, and decided to buy the Mini 65. Been using it for two weeks and I love it. It's steelcase, heats up very quickly and feels like a commercial steamer even though they are saying its a residential steamer.

I may get an upgrade with Chief Steamer, looking at the 75 Single, if the business grows and things are less hectic at the house but for now, the Mini 65 is doing work and making me money!!

It's $439, but I used coupon code "10bucksonus" to get 10 bucks off. If you are going to use steam to clean cars, learn from my mistake, just spend the extra money, get a Chief Steamer Mini 65 and save in the long run. The cheap ones will always break and fast! They arent built for what we are using them for.
    Thanks for mentioning the mini 65. I just reviewed it and bought it. They had it for $399 and a free hat and gloves offer. It arrives next week. My McCullough is getting worn. Looking forward to getting the mini 65.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast