autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Paintless dent removal

I had a dent removed using this this technique today. The result was impressive but not perfect. The dent is gone and the paint is unharmed. But, when the light is right, you can see a screen pattern where the dent was. I can't feel it but I can see it in some light. My question is can I buff that out?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paintless dent removal

Wouldn't hurt to try, IMO
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like little pick marks in the metal from the guys tooling and process. I've seen that many times and if that is the case DO NOT try to sand or polish it out. If you do you'll risk going through the clear coat at each of the high points and then it will stick out like a sore thumb.

I'd live with it and put whoever did the repair on my list of "do not go to this guy again". He's obviously not at the top of his profession if you see even the slightest hint that a repair was done.

I'm lucky enough to have found a paintless dent guy that does absolutely perfect work through my brother-in-laws body shop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
    Sounds like little pick marks in the metal from the guys tooling and process. I've seen that many times and if that is the case DO NOT try to sand or polish it out. If you do you'll risk going through the clear coat at each of the high points and then it will stick out like a sore thumb.

I'd live with it and put whoever did the repair on my list of "do not go to this guy again". He's obviously not at the top of his profession if you see even the slightest hint that a repair was done.

I'm lucky enough to have found a paintless dent guy that does absolutely perfect work through my brother-in-laws body shop.

not sure I would say to put them on a list to never go back. its a constant learning process, just like detailing. Everyone has to learn, right? Ive done PDR for the last almost 2 years and everyday is like learning something new.

Post Thanks / Like

I would let them learn on someone else’s car. Just like vehicle painting or detailing, practice before you touch a paying customers car, and have insurance if you do any of these things for a living.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually just recomended my son to a Pdr guy.
    I wish i had try to get into this a long time ago,
    Can you tell me What it takes to learn this art?
    Do these guys go to a school to learn it? And aproxamitly how much are the tools they use?

Post Thanks / Like

I had some major hail damage on my car a couple months back that insurance covered PDR removal of all of it. The end result was quite impressive. Overall I am happy with the results.

I did notice an area on the hood that has the screen look in the clear coat from the tech's tapping and tools. Can only be seen in the right light. It seems some if you are suggesting that I complain about this to the shop. However my concern is that I'll end up with a worse end result. In other words and unfortunately I was going to leave it be and live with it. Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asalesagent912 View Post
    Do these guys go to a school to learn it? And aproxamitly how much are the tools they use?
    They have schools for PDR. I would say someone with two years would start to have a pretty good grasp on things.
    PDR tools are not cheap. Quality ones anyway. You could have $5k-$10k in a kit easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by asalesagent912 View Post
    I went to a school out in Costa Mesa, CA. It was 2 weeks and then back to home. Its tough because for the 2 weeks they show you the basic techniques and then when you're home, your basically by yourself trying to improve when you really don't know how things should be. I can do small dings and I like hail but larger dents and body line dents I just cant grasp.

Tools can definitely be pricey, but pay for themselves fast! If your a good pdr tech you can make like 80k+ a year. Ive even seen "Storm Chasers" that do strictly hail make like 120k+.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanquish Auto View Post
    They have schools for PDR. I would say someone with two years would start to have a pretty good grasp on things.
    PDR tools are not cheap. Quality ones anyway. You could have $5k-$10k in a kit easy.

so true