autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Gas pedal cleaning

Ok guys, I need your advice on this.

I have come across a few gas pedals that refuse to get clean. I am curious about your process and products.

Right now, I spray the pedal with either APC or degreaser, use my tire brush on it (the one from Tuf Shine) and wipe with a microfiber towel.

Sometimes I repeat the process 3 times and the pedal is still dirty. I don't want to use a steamer, so if you have a way to do this in a way that will get it clean on the first try, please share!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gas pedal cleaning

Dunno if this will help. Maybe you can using something from the video...

Let me know if this helps you to come up with a different approach.

YouTube

Tom
    Mr Tommy's
    Wash, Buff, Wax

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer using a flag tipped paint brush on the pedals. A stiffer brush doesn't seam to get into the tight patterns on them. I don't always find stiffer equals better cleaning. I find usually a lot of bristles tight together even though softer, works a lot more aggressively. I have used tire cleaner before. I just double up a old bath towel up under there so nothing touches the carpet.

4. Thanks Diner thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe try a different product? I have had good success with McKee's Floor Mat Rejuv and have only heard good about the Weathertech cleaner.

If you want to go the less expensive route, I would try Pan's way in the video (And, choose the Super Clean over the other cleaners like he did.). I would still use one of the two products above (designed to deal with slippage) as a final wipe (liability on others' cars).

Post Thanks / Like

Being a gas pedal Id like to point out that maybe it isnt dirt that you are seeing, maybe the rubber is worn out and just stained. That is one possibility.

My routine is similar to yours. Meguiars SD or APC and scrub with a brush (Usually a stiffer type brush but not always, it depends on the "pattern" of the pedal for me) and wipe with a MF towel.
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like

If it's a rubber pedal cover. Why not try the Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner or any other rubber cleaner.

I have found a rubber and plastic protection that is not sold on AGO sadly. But awesome to use on floor mats and pedals and even in the engine compartment like Megs Hyper Dressing and those you spray on when it's wet there and just leave it to dry over night. Maybe the Wheathertech cleaner and protectant could work on the pedals too if it don't leave it slippery.

And some pedals is just bad quality and it goes fast for them to wear down and don't looks so good then. There is a way to get the rubber rubbed up. But it works just on those that is more like a tires finish and not those that is more on the plastic side. Or look up how much a new pedal cover would cost. It's a big risk to do this restoration on a customers car. But on your own vehical it can extend the life and looks from it and you know of the risk it can go bad.

Post Thanks / Like

I clean ‘rubber’ pedals with Meguiar’s M39...
    along with (depends on how soiled they are),
    any one of the following type/style of brushes:

(Who remembers Meguiar’s X1000 brush?)

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coleroad View Post
    I prefer using a flag tipped paint brush on the pedals. A stiffer brush doesn't seam to get into the tight patterns on them. I don't always find stiffer equals better cleaning. I find usually a lot of bristles tight together even though softer, works a lot more aggressively. I have used tire cleaner before. I just double up a old bath towel up under there so nothing touches the carpet.
    Ok, thanks I will give that a try. Tire Cleaners are usually just degreasers. Maybe it would do a better job than an APC. Will try both the brush and meg's non-acid wheel cleaner and see if it resolves the issue for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ducksfan View Post
    Maybe try a different product? I have had good success with McKee's Floor Mat Rejuv and have only heard good about the Weathertech cleaner.

If you want to go the less expensive route, I would try Pan's way in the video (And, choose the Super Clean over the other cleaners like he did.). I would still use one of the two products above (designed to deal with slippage) as a final wipe (liability on others' cars).
    I am using super clean diluted 5:1 right now for interiors (including the pedals). Either it's not cutting it or like Coleroad said it's because the brushes are too stiff and they can't get in the groves. If his method works, I will try with the same brush using superclean and see if that works.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Being a gas pedal Id like to point out that maybe it isnt dirt that you are seeing, maybe the rubber is worn out and just stained. That is one possibility.

My routine is similar to yours. Meguiars SD or APC and scrub with a brush (Usually a stiffer type brush but not always, it depends on the "pattern" of the pedal for me) and wipe with a MF towel.
    That is possible but it's always in the groves not the surface so I am pretty certain it's dirt.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast