autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

» Detailing Classes

New Dates Available for the Autogeek Roadshow!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How Particular Are You

owning a Jeep wrangler, one tends to be associated with that crowd of wrangler owners who go mudding or rock crawling. Their wranglers tend not to clean or detail their jeep's afterward. I'm getting to old for that mud or crawl scene, so we've created a "clean jeep" project. The first step in this to keep the underbelly just as clean as the surface and interior of the wrangler. This might sound a bit redundant or even ridiculous to want to get under one's wrangler and clean the chases, frame, shocks even the coil springs.

For instance, after cleaning the coil springs and new drag link/tie rod, I set out to repaint these products with a rust prevention paint. Even though I've created a folder shield to protect the shocks and coil springs, I'm not as careful as I use to be. After re-painting, I removed the folder cover and discovered that the shocks and coil springs now have a slight over spray.

Let's step back for a moment, Most coil springs on a jeep wrangler are the factory black. Some after market coil springs & shocks are red etc.. we took this a step farther. had our powder coaters re-coat our upgraded coil springs the same color as the TJM shocks. The color?. metallic gold. Now that you know our shocks and coil springs are gold & they happen to have a bit of over spray on them, We're left with how to remove this over spray.

Purely taking a chance, I tested a small area on the shocks with the goo-gone product. I was astounded when the over spray (black paint) came right off. granted the paint was fresh, so I've not yet tested if this goo-gone would remove paint which has been left on the coils for an extended period of time. none the less, I was able to bring that gold color back to my shocks & coil springs with a micro fiber towel, goo-gone all without harming the re-powder coated coil springs.

How Particular Are You-gold-coil-springs-jpg

Is this way too particular for a jeep wrangler owner to want to keep his/her jeep that clean..

2. Likes SWETM, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Particular Are You

We all have OCD here! On my new ZR2 I dressed the spare tire. Shot the DSSV dampers, and front skid plate with hydro blue. LOL Never can be too obsessive.

How about that new jeep GLAIDATOR!
    2018 Colorado ZR2
    http://www.autogeek.net/

Post Thanks / Like

@pro 4x sorry to say we're not thrilled with the new gladiator 4 door truck. Nor are well thrilled with the new wrangler JL model either. Just one reason we special ordered our 2017 wrangler unlimited instead. The objective is to keep it clean as the wife has told me flat out.. this is our last vehicle.

So might wonder why we're not thrilled with these new wranglers. Too many issues we can't really discus. One can dream, though.. We've seen pics of the new "scrambler" 2 door wrangler so things and our minds could change.

Post Thanks / Like

On this forum there is no such thing as too particular. Go ahead and detail those coil springs.

6. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavy View Post
    On this forum there is no such thing as too particular. Go ahead and detail those coil springs.
    Oh hell yeah.

You are now talking to guys and girls who not only obsess over their vehicles, but will decon, polish and wax their lawn mowers and snow blowers.

(Ask me how I know this.........
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

8. Likes UncleDavy, Paul A., BillE, Jim w liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Now that I've clean the coil springs and shocks, what would be the best way polish or shine both of these without harming the powder coating or the clear top coat? For reference, the coil springs were powder coated gold 3 times with 2 top clear coats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PaulMys View Post
    Oh hell yeah.

You are now talking to guys and girls who not only obsess over their vehicles, but will decon, polish and wax their lawn mowers and snow blowers.

(Ask me how I know this.........
    The secret is out!

Bill
    In dog beers, I've only had one.

11. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconFreedom View Post
    Now that I've clean the coil springs and shocks, what would be the best way polish or shine both of these without harming the powder coating or the clear top coat? For reference, the coil springs were powder coated gold 3 times with 2 top clear coats.
    McKee's 37 Hydro Blue Sio2 Coating

Get them clean. Leave wet. Spray on Hydro blue. Strong water rinse. Done.
    2018 Colorado ZR2
    http://www.autogeek.net/

13. Thanks RubiconFreedom thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconFreedom View Post
    The most durable would be a ceramic coating for wheels like Carpro Dlux or Gyeon Rim or Gtechnic C5 Wheel Armor. For ease of use I like Gyeon Wet Coat which is a spray on rinse off product. And maybe around every month do a spray on rinse off application to have them protected. This you can do on the wheels and wheel wells too and with the wheels on. PW is prefered to spread and activate it or a high pressure water from the hose. So easy and not so much of product is needed and quite durable too. There are so many other spray on rinse off products. But Gyeon Wet Coat has a new version of 2019 which gives you up to 4months longevity on the paint. During the winter months here in Sweden I saw 2 months with a high water repellent until it's started to degrade to be done after 3 months. Not crazy long longevity but since it's so easy to apply I think it's an awesome way to protect hard to reach places like this.

With polish do you mean to polishing with abrasives?
    I think that powder coated clearcoat is pretty hard. So if not any visual haze or marring. Would I only protect it. But if you want to be doing a little extra. I don't know how aggressive the polishing cones and balls like Mothers has is on painted surfaces. They are made for metall polish and could be a little to aggressive. But there are these kind of polishing cones and balls made for paint. Have not seen any of them on AGO though. These and a drill would be the easiest way for polishing them up I think. Maybe others can chaim in on how hard the powder coated clearcoat is. And if you would be able to use these cones and balls for metall polish on it but with polishes for paint.

15. Thanks RubiconFreedom thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

As particular as one could possibly be

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 40