autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pollen

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Pollen

I hate it. My dark grey car is yellow/green. I have been using ONR just about every other morning to try and keep my car looking good.

I have a wax and coating on it, both meguiars, and the onr doesn’t wipe off easily. Anyone have another product or technique they use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pollen

Our pollen season was over a month plus ago down here in Florida. Personally I wouldn't wipe it as much as you are, pollen is like little bits of sand. You are most likely marring the paint touching it that frequently.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

3. Likes DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My cars just started collecting pollen, but I have 2 slick, non-carnauba LSPs (Blackfire sealant and HD Poxy). Blackfire contains polycharger. It’s not collecting as much as in the past. I use Blackfire Polymer Spray on each after washes and I waterless wash with UWW+, both of which have polycharger in them. Another good spring LSPs is 4* UPP with polycharger.

You can’t stop the pollen, you can only hope to contain it (or minimize it). The slick sealants seem to do the best job. Carnauba from April through June (northeast) are trouble with particle attraction.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    Our pollen season was over a month plus ago down here in Forida. Personally I wouldn't wipe it as much as you are, pollen is like little bits of sand. You are most likely marring the paint touching it that frequently.
    Agreed. I have learned to live with a green truck for most of May. Makes my correction much easier later on.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

6. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Pollen sucks! But on the bright side at least it isn’t salt or snow. If I “need” to wash off a 1/2 week’s worth of pollen at least I can wash it in my driveway. There have been 3 week stretches during extreme cold where all car washes are closed in our area.

I have washed my car in the morning and have wanted to wash it later in day just from sitting and collecting pollen in the driveway.

8. Likes PaulMys, GAMBIT61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I would hold out until the pollen dissipates! I know it will be hard but IMO its the best choice.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a microscope slide of pollen. Think about it every time you wipe a car that has this junk on it! I'm not saying you shouldn't use the ONR, just take it easy when you do. It's always best to rinse this stuff off with water whenever possible. JMO.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pollen-pollen-jpg  

11. Likes custmsprty, Goonie75, DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I stop using carnuba spray products and just try to live with it. It's only a month...

You don't wanna be rubbing the paint or using California dusters your just going to put swirls in it. Unless you have a color that hides swirls then use a duster if you must

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    I stop using carnuba spray products and just try to live with it. It's only a month...
    This was the first thing that came to mind when I read you had a coating AND wax on the vehicle.

From my experience some sealants and waxes make the problem worse. Leaving a coating "naked" actually helps things and the pollen doesn't seem to cling as badly.

Along the lines of what others have said, I'll only touch the car if I can give it a good bucket wash. It pains me to see my black car turn yellow, but it is safer for the the paint. Right now we're having days alternating rain mixed with constant pollen fall. All of my cars have bright yellow polka dots everywhere! It kills me to see it, but I let them go until I have time to wash them properly and not do any damage.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

14. Likes GAMBIT61 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Agree with all of the above. The single BEST way to deal with pollen is a full-blown wash with LOTS of heavy spray from a hose or pressure washer and LOTS of suds and a LIGHT touch when actually washing the paint.
    Don M
    2017 Camaro 2LT
    376 RWHP, 6-Speed manual

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast