autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Post Thanks / Like

Polishing Aluminum Wheels

I've posted some photos of my aluminum wheels. I'm 95% sure that they are clear coated. If correct, I've read that the best way to remove the scratches is to polish them as I would clear coat on paint. I've used my Flex PE-8 with a 2" orange pad but it did not seem to have any effect. I thought I'd try a wool pad next. Any thoughts?

Polishing Aluminum Wheels-wheel1-jpg

Polishing Aluminum Wheels-wheel2-jpg

Polishing Aluminum Wheels-wheel3-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Polishing Aluminum Wheels

That is correct. If these are factory wheels then they are clear coated and you would treat them like you would paint. You could be seeing the finish from the surface below the clear which is normal for aluminum clear coated wheels.

Post Thanks / Like

What polish/compound are you using?

Post Thanks / Like

Those are the factory SRT vapor wheels. I recall seeing in the user manual a note that mentioned using abrasives on them could harm the finish.

Here's a screenshot of the note.

5. Thanks JustJesus thanked for this post
    Likes JustJesus, VitreousHumor liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    That is correct. If these are factory wheels then they are clear coated and you would treat them like you would paint. You could be seeing the finish from the surface below the clear which is normal for aluminum clear coated wheels.
    I'm pretty sure it is the clear as it is all scratched up. Seeing the scratched I can just visualize the person using the wash brush at the self serve wash right after the guy who went mudding washed his truck with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    What polish/compound are you using?
    I was using Megs Ultimate Compound. I have M105, M205, as well as some other less abrasive polishes but to me honest, UC is kind of my go too polish. I change type of pads (orange down to white) as needed rather then change polish. I just find that UC is close to M105 but does not flake like a gorilla with dandruff (I just made that up... let's see if it catches on).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by osiapstndp View Post
    Those are the factory SRT vapor wheels. I recall seeing in the user manual a note that mentioned using abrasives on them could harm the finish.
    Good info.

I'm _guessing_ that this is aimed at just cleaning the wheel by an average everyday person. I'm not sure why a correctly used polish would damage a clear coated wheel.... unless they are not clear coated?

Sorry... you are correct about the type of wheels. Really good job at matching them up. I do _LOVE_ these wheel. That is why I want them to look their best. I was wanting to correct the micro scratches and then coat them with something like Cquartz Dlux Wheel and Trim Coat or Polish Angel Supersport Wheel Coating.

Maybe it is best just to keep them clean and leave them alone. I'm not good at just leaving things alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tcope View Post
    I'm pretty sure it is the clear as it is all scratched up. Seeing the scratched I can just visualize the person using the wash brush at the self serve wash right after the guy who went mudding washed his truck with it.
    Don't be so sure. You can try going more aggressive and see if that gets you anywhere. If not then just go ahead and coat them. Nobody is really going to care if you coat over the not so perfect finish. In the end it is what you consider "perfect".