autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Not tar this time... it's worse.

After what you’ve tried - it sounds like there is no magic chemical that will remove this stuff. Sometimes that’s just how it goes.

So, the way I look at it - you need a synergistic approach. I would use a compounding pad soaked in mineral spirits with compound on the face and while heating the panel area to try to remove it by hand.

That has worked for me in the past. You are using the leverage of 3 things: solvent, abrasives, and heat all at once. I hope you are getting paid well for this, cuz this is above and beyond decon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    After what you’ve tried - it sounds like there is no magic chemical that will remove this stuff. Sometimes that’s just how it goes.

So, the way I look at it - you need a synergistic approach. I would use a compounding pad soaked in mineral spirits with compound on the face and while heating the panel area to try to remove it by hand.

That has worked for me in the past. You are using the leverage of 3 things: solvent, abrasives, and heat all at once. I hope you are getting paid well for this, cuz this is above and beyond decon.

Good suggestions.

Sister-in-law = gratis
    I don't charge family for work. Which is also why I didn't do anything too extreme or damaging to my tools. I will have an opportunity to attack it again if I want, though, so that's a positive.
    Purple Towel Auto Detailing
    PurpleTowelDetailing.com
    @purpletoweldetailing

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I see that you've tried some very alkaline products (which would remove an acid based material). Try an acidic product just in case the black stuff is alkaline in nature. I ran into this once when someone drove through wet concrete (very alkaline). Hit it with Meguiar's Hot Rimz Chrome wheel cleaner (the chrome one is an acid) and it came off fairly easily.

4. Thanks PurpleTowel thanked for this post
    Likes PurpleTowel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Plastic razor blades with plenty of QDS. Use one with a high lubricity. This will remove everything down to the surface leaving a much smaller amount of contaminant to remove.
    Next, Tarminator using a towel. Spray the Tarminator directly onto the surface and let dwell for 30 secs. or so then wipe the area with a towel.
    Any shading left will easily be removed using a cleaner wax and a good quality cutting pad. I recommend ThinPro Gray Heavy Cutting Pad. If the Cleaner wax is still not abrasive enough, step up the aggressiveness as necessary until the shading/stains are removed.
    I've been in your position, and it sucks to get defeated. Using the plastic razor blades will eliminate the bulk of the problem leaving you with an easily manageable, everyday type situation that comes intuitively.
    Post back with your results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12