autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Windows, I can't get them clean!

This seems like such a simple matter but it is driving me crazy. It doesn't seem to depend the car or the window, I just can' t seem to get them spotless clean. They typically look great right after a wash, but the next day they show smears and streaks. I have used various cleaners, window specific cleaners, plain water, different types of towel, micro fiber and conventional. Nothing seems to help. Any secrets for getting your windows sparkling clean?

Thanks, Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Windows, I can't get them clean!

Quote Originally Posted by lj993 View Post
    This seems like such a simple matter but it is driving me crazy. It doesn't seem to depend the car or the window, I just can' t seem to get them spotless clean. They typically look great right after a wash, but the next day they show smears and streaks. I have used various cleaners, window specific cleaners, plain water, different types of towel, micro fiber and conventional. Nothing seems to help. Any secrets for getting your windows sparkling clean?

Thanks, Phil
    You probably have a thin film of contaminates and needs a through cleaning. I find that Griot's Glass Polish works great as a prep. Do an IPA wipe down and apply a glass coating and you should have clean and clear glass after a wash every time.

Post Thanks / Like

You need a dedicated set of microfiber towels just for glass. If you're using a towel that has ever had a polish/wax/sealant on it, then it's a losing battle.

4. Likes dcjredline liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DMW View Post
    You need a dedicated set of microfiber towels just for glass. If you're using a towel that has ever had a polish/wax/sealant on it, then it's a losing battle.
    that you need dedicated glass towels, but if there's a film on the glass, no mf towel will get rid of the film. Glass needs to be polished to get rid of any road grime, waxes or whatever is on the glass that makes it streak.

6. Likes PaulMys, oneheadlite liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    that you need dedicated glass towels, but if there's a film on the glass, no mf towel will get rid of the film. Glass needs to be polished to get rid of any road grime, waxes or whatever is on the glass that makes it streak.
    Exactly.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

All excellent advice.

Is your problem with inside or outside glass?

In my experience, inside glass needs very clean, and I mean VERY clean, microfiber in order to avoid what you describe. I have dedicated 400GSM waffle-weave that never do anything but clean glass and they all get very special treatment when washing to avoid any chance of cross-contamination.

If you are wiping wax overspray off of exterior glass, use your wax buffing MF for this and then after you're sure most of it is removed you can use your dedicated glass towels. Keep any wax or sealant away from your glass towels.

There are many very fine glass cleaners out there so as long as you are using one of those it should not be an issue. Stoner Invisible Glass is a good place to start but like I said, there are many very fine glass cleaners out there.

9. Likes PaulMys, Dano shine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the best tips I learned is from Mike.
    Is cover your windshield so you don’t get any splatter on it!
    Like most has said using dedicated MF towels. I like Stoner glass cleaner
    Personal. Polish with a 3” I use Griots with a Boss pad with Griots glass polish then I use Glassparency

Post Thanks / Like

I polish my windshield last.
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

12. Likes Dano shine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for all of the great ideas. The inside of the windows is what is giving me fits. I will try dedictated window cleaning towels. Thank you. Phil

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with that a good glass mf towel is a important tool to get the windows clean. The no nap glass mf towels is those I get the best results with. The ones I use is not sold on AGO. But will link to some that I think is like those I have. It's also important to have a few at hand when cleaning glass. The first towel you use is to clean the glass with and the second towel is to wipe off any residue. And the second towel is going to be the first towel on the next window I clean and new towel to the second towel and so on when you going forward. I also wash the glass towels separate from other mf towels. The Sonax towel is a bit pricey but is that one that is most simualar to the ones I uses.

SONAX Microfiber Interior & Glass Cloth

CarPro Suede Microfiber Cloths, suede microfibre cloths, microfiber towels, cquartz microfiber

GYEON Bald Wipe Microfiber Towel 16x16

This GG PFM glass towels seems interesting too. With a little different technique from what I use. That you start with the longer nap side and finish off with the no nap side. Think this one can be a great glass cleaning towel.

Griots Garage PFM Dual Weave Glass Towel, Set of 4

Glass cleaners I use 2 different ones. One for the inside and one for the outside. The one I use on the outside is very strong and the downside is the smell gets to high for the use on inside glass. For the inside I like Sonax Glass Cleaner as it very clinging on the glass. And the overspray is minimal. I still like to spray directly to the glass mf towel to get the possible overspray out of the way. The Sonax has a little longer time till it evaporates too which is a good thing to the inside windows.

SONAX Glass Cleaner, Glass Clear, auto glass cleaner

If you like WW this could be an option too. Designed to clean glass and with a different weave to get them effective to that.

https://www.autogeek.net/12pacowawegl.html

If you still be haveing problems with streaking. I would look into a glass polish to get the deep cleaned. And then it would be no more problems.

And remember to work on as cool glass as possible to get the best results.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast