autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Winter Storage: Blanket under Car Cover?

Hey guys,

So winter is coming up and unfortunately I have to store my car outside this year. Im just really worried about hail damage while it is outside. My plan is to put a thin blanket over the car and cover it with a water resistant/ weatherproof Car Cover.
    The thing is since its not fully waterproof, it will go through and make the blanket underneath wet. Should I be worried about the moisture between the blanket and the car paint/metal that would potentially cause rust overtime?

Like always I will put 2 coats of KSG Sealant and a layer of wax on the pant before storing. As well lubricate all door jams and grease anything that will need to be greased etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Winter Storage: Blanket under Car Cover?

I would definitely worry about the moisture, I think your asking for trouble. What have you done in the past?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I wouldn't do that.

Where do you live that it hails in the winter?
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Not big on a wet blanket over entire car. What about blanket followed by car cover followed by a waterproof tarp to keep car dry. But you still need to be careful about mold growing on the interior surfaces such as seats,doors, dash, floor, trunk, etc. You should put dessicant packs in the car cabin and trunk and check monthly for moisture. I am not an expert in this area just some thoughts based on previous errors of storing a car.
    2022 Carrera S & Honda CRV Hybrid
    2015 Lexus IS 350, 2016 Ford F-150
    Cobalt 242 (8.1 L block, Volvo outdrive)

Post Thanks / Like

You’re actually be best off just leaving the car uncovered and washing it every so often. Car covers are a bad idea - especially outside. They will get wet / dirty and wind will rub that thing all over your paint all winter long. Stuff like putting a blanket under it outside probably would just make it worse over time and could prevent moisture from evaporating naturally on its own.

It’s really a crap shoot - only way to know is to try it. I know one thing - snow / rain won’t damage your paint in itself.

6. Likes oneheadlite, Flash Gordon liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The blanket will probably mar the paint with movement from the wind and such. Marred paint and mold are enemies of a detailer.
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    You’re actually be best off just leaving the car uncovered and washing it every so often. Car covers are a bad idea - especially outside. They will get wet / dirty and wind will rub that thing all over your paint all winter long. Stuff like putting a blanket under it outside probably would just make it worse over time and could prevent moisture from evaporating naturally on its own.

It’s really a crap shoot - only way to know is to try it. I know one thing - snow / rain won’t damage your paint in itself.
    I agree 100%. Long term outside storage with any car cover is risky business. To me, the only element that warrants a cover is the sun and during winter months the sun is at it lowest azimuth and least destructive intensity. Leave the cover off... And if you're hell bent on using the cover, definitely do not put any moisture retaining blankets underneath.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post

Totally agree, too.

Even if the car cover is weather proof, I'd be worried about temprature changes causing condensation to form under the cover which would then soak the blanket. The blanket would mold/mildew, but it might also cause issues as mentioned above by not allowing the moisture to evaporate. I can remember at least a couple instances here where people are looking for help after a car cover trapped moisture on the surface and caused issues with the clear coat.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

10. Likes oneheadlite liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply guys. I had the car stored inside before but we got a bunch of furniture in the garage right now that is why it will have to sit outside this winter. I like the Blanket-Tarp-Car Cover Idea but ill see how it goes.
    We usually dont get Hail but when we do no one is ever prepared for it and usually it happens when im at work. Ill just have to weight out my options. I also saw someone using cardboard boxes to cover it then a car cover.
    Id rather have some scratches to deal with come spring time than Hail Dents all over my car.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply guys. I had the car stored inside before but we got a bunch of furniture in the garage right now that is why it will have to sit outside this winter. I like the Blanket-Tarp-Car Cover Idea but ill see how it goes.
    We usually dont get Hail but when we do no one is ever prepared for it and usually it happens when im at work. Ill just have to weight out my options. I also saw someone using cardboard boxes to cover it then a car cover.
    Id rather have some scratches to deal with come spring time than Hail Dents all over my car.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast