autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 303 Aerospace Can Double the Life/Mileage of Your Tire's Tread?

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    What do you use to soak the tires in? How much product does it take?
    I've used about 20 ounces of 303. I have the tires off of the wheel, so I can spray the insides too. The man in the video says to just spray any rubber you see, if the tire is mounted onto a wheel.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman View Post
    Just soak half the tire in 303 in 20k miles or so there should be a considerable egg shaped tire as one half should have worn twice as the other and you should be able to measure it

Or you can do one out of 2 tires and let us know in 50k miles with proper rotations and alignments how the one treated tire has half the wear Of the other one. Will wait for the necro post in a few years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will definitely update the thread awhile from now, if it seems to work. For the record, I don't actually think this will work. However, it can't hurt to soak your tires in a product designed to give longevity to rubber and plastic for as long as you can. And, no, I'm not worried about getting the 303 on the tread. That idea seems silly to me if the tires are not for a motorcycle, or bicycle. The tires are for a minivan.
    I did PM the fellow. Let's see if he responds. I will send him another PM if I don't see him post here. I would like to hear his response.
    "I've seen a good quality car wash look better than some guys complete detail jobs."
    Mike Phillips 10/21/09

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    People use 303 Protectant on rubber. No one uses ONR on or in an engine, therefore it was a bad analogy.
    If you want to view it that way, but the point remains the same. Just as ONR is not meant to extend oil life, 303 is not meant to extend tread life. You would need to coat tires regularly with a very durable/flexible material (think rubber) to come anywhere close to improving tread life by even 50%, much less 100%. Not discounting the guy directly, I'm just saying from a scientific perspective, and given how harsh the conditions are that tires are subjected to, his claim seems very unfeasible.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Autogeekonline mobile app

4. Likes custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by expdetailing View Post
    I will definitely update the thread awhile from now, if it seems to work. For the record, I don't actually think this will work. However, it can't hurt to soak your tires in a product designed to give longevity to rubber and plastic for as long as you can. And, no, I'm not worried about getting the 303 on the tread. That idea seems silly to me if the tires are not for a motorcycle, or bicycle. The tires are for a minivan.
    I did PM the fellow. Let's see if he responds. I will send him another PM if I don't see him post here. I would like to hear his response.
    If you were qualifying at Indy today would you coat your tire surfaces with 303? And he's in the wall!!!

And no way does any rubber or tire dressing stand up to the heat generated on the tire tread even at 65mph on a highway. Heck, 303 is gone after one drive in the rain on my tires sidewalls, it's worthless as a tire dressing. Just a side note, I see my tire pressures go up by 3lbs after 30 minutes on the highway from the heat generated. So how is a rubber spray protectant going to hold up to the rpm's, friction and heat generated on the tire surface. Answer, it's not. I'm sorry but this video is perhaps one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen posted on the internet.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

6. Likes Hammer77, PaulMys, tmdals0213 liked this post
    Dislikes PaulMys disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am doubtful this will do anything, like someone earlier said one of the big manufactures would have bought 303 and made it go away. Because it would slow tire sales for them, if it did work. On another note if it did work, I feel one of the big manufactures would have bought and absorbed 303 so they would have exclusive rights to the product, treat the tires and sell us the "super tire" at a high premium! Just my thoughts.

8. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    If you were qualifying at Indy today would you coat your tire surfaces with 303? And he's in the wall!!!

And no way does any rubber or tire dressing stand up to the heat generated on the tire tread even at 65mph on a highway. Heck, 303 is gone after one drive in the rain on my tires sidewalls, it's worthless as a tire dressing. Just a side note, I see my tire pressures go up by 3lbs after 30 minutes on the highway from the heat generated. So how is a rubber spray protectant going to hold up to the rpm's, friction and heat generated on the tire surface. Answer, it's not. I'm sorry but this is perhaps one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen posted on the internet.
    Well said, Mark.

And ignore the "dislike". I need better glasses.......
    It is no coincidence that man's best friend cannot talk.

10. Likes Hammer77, custmsprty liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am gonna go out on a limb here.

Two of the factors that influence how quickly a tire wears out are the hardness of the material and the friction it has on the road. So a softer tire has more grip and wears out faster than a harder tire. So, could the 303 somehow make the synthetic rubber harder and also reduce the friction? If so, you are trading valuable features of the tire for more durability. It is already possible to do this when you purchase the tire. Look at the durability rating for it. Some tires have twice the durability of others, Of course they will not grip as well. On the plus side, you don't have to waste a lot of money to dunk them in 303.

12. Likes PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have no doubt that there are chemicals out there that can make rubber stay healthier longer without dry cracking. There are chemicals that will soften the compound of a street tire (I have used them on kart tires—nasty). There are chemicals that will keep a rubber tire from blooming and turning brown with regularity.

I don't believe for one second that 303 Protectant is doubling the wear rate of a touring tire, and keeping it from being used up in a normal amount of time. Anything that will increase the wear rate will make rubber harder, and that isn't necessarily what I want out of an automotive tire.

Tire engineers will tell you that everything in a tire's design is a compromise—a harder tire will last longer but at the expense of traction. A quiet tire will not necessarily be able to move as much water or snow as a tire with lugs, sipes and channels. Low profile tires will handle superior to a tall profile tire but ride very abrasively. You can't get one without losing the other (easily). It's physics.

You don't increase the treadwear of a tire by spraying on a magic chemical, especially without hurting something else in the process. These videos are fool's gold.
    Purple Towel Auto Detailing
    PurpleTowelDetailing.com
    @purpletoweldetailing

14. Likes custmsprty, subyfan, PaulMys liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

303 Aerospace Can Double the Life/Mileage of Your Tire's Tread?

The idea is that through persistent application, the rubber will absorb the 303 well beyond the surface layer.
    I don’t get why this is so hard for people to understand.^ Anyone who’s used Hyper Dressing on a consistent basis knows that it will penetrate the rubber to the point where it’s nearly impossible to completely remove it because it’s in the rubber.

Everyone saying “303 washes off at the 1st sight of rain” simply doesn’t get it. It doesn’t matter if it washes off easily. The fact that it’s been given the chance to penetrate the rubber is what matters.

And, no, I'm not worried about getting the 303 on the tread. That idea seems silly to me if the tires are not for a motorcycle, or bicycle.
    I don’t understand what you’re saying here.^
    Are you saying you’d dress the treads on a motorcycle and/or a bicycle? Why the heck would you do that?

Btw for the people going nutts about the idea of applying a protectant/dressing to the tread of the tire... People dress the treads on show cars all the time. I don’t see anyone condemning them.

[note for Custmsporty. That doesn’t mean that literally every show car has tires with dressed treads. I figured I’d make that clear before you take it the wrong way and freak out about it]

16. Dislikes custmsprty disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have hard to think it would extend the longevity of the tire threads to the double if any. The 303 aerospace I don't have and experience with but do with the 303 rubber seal protectant. And if it's have the same chemicals as that it's not layer something on top of the rubber but it will be penetrate in it and does some kind of magic to the rubber. The thing I could see it do is that it would renew a tire that has starting to dry up and hardens. And bring back some of the softness to the tire and the ability to work as it once did. But to see it have any effective to the threads holding up longer on a new tire is hard to see.

I can share what my experience with 303 rubber seal protectant is. My best friend has a Chevrolet Caprice -70 4 doors hard top. It lived it's early life in Texas before exported to Sweden. The problem is that most of the rubber is dried out which is understandable on a that old car. I got the 303 rubber seal protectant for the door seals so they would'nt freeze as easy in the winter. And it's says to renew the rubber so I thought why not test it on the chevy door seals and see what happens. The wind noise was very high before and was almost completly gone after one treatment. It dries to the touch and transfer to the windows that lays against it. And it's holding up after 9 months after applyied. So something in 303 rsp is doing something that renew it. I would compare it to what meguiars #7 does on old SS paint. So if 303 aerospace share the chemicals of 303 rsp it will penetrate the threads on a tire rubber and do something to it when the layer that sits on top wears away. Does it extend the longevity of the tire threads? I don't know but have hard to see it do that. But think it could renew the ability some on a old tire is more understandable. It's more parameters that comes to play with a new tire.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast