autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Questions to chemists about alcohol

Hey guys, I have a few questions about the use of solvants to remove polishing oils and prepare surfaces for coatings and sealants.

So, in the last 6 years, I have been using ONR 128:1 with 25% isopropyl content as a paint prep for sealants and coatings.

I am wondering if I can substitute this for some other form of alcohol. For example, cold weather windshield washer fluid uses a high content of methyl alcohol. If I was so add an ounce of ONR to a gallon of this stuff, would it make a good Paint Prep? Why or why not?

Also, I was told that Duplicolor Wax and Grease Remover is mostly Acetone. I think it does a very good job but Acetone is a know cancerigen, so I think I would like to stop using it. The question is, how effective would windshield washer + ONR be compared to both Acetone and IPA 25%?

Feel free to speculate if you don't have hard scientific answers (as long as you are a chemist that is LOL).

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Questions to chemists about alcohol

This doesn't answer your question, rather it asks one. Any reason you just don't use CarPro Erasure? I understand getting it to Canada may include some cost, but CarPro has taken all the science out of it.
    It's pretty amazing stuff.

CarPro Eraser Intense Oil & Polish Cleanser, IPA, paint cleaner, polish remover, wax remover

IPA loosens oil but the problem occurs as oil can be spread around or redeposited as you wipe the paint. Eraser goes a step further with its intense cleaners that dissolve oils. Eraser breaks down polish residue as well as removing dust.

Features:

- Eraser is an intense cleaner designed to dissolve oil particles and remove polish residue to prepare the paintwork for Cquartz.
    - When you wipe down your polished vehicle with Eraser Intense Oil & Polish Cleanser, you’re removing oils, fillers, and dust completely.
    - Application of CQuartz or your chosen LSP will bond much better and create a long-lasting shine with great protection while giving the user peace of mind as to the quality of the surface prior.
    - Eraser also has anti-static components to resist dusting after wiping. The paint will stay dust-free while you’re in the process of applying Cquartz so you don’t have to keep re-cleaning panel by panel.
    - Eraser contains no silicone and is completely safe for use in paint shops and body shops.
    - Eraser smells great, which is definitely not true of a homemade IPA! CarPro Eraser Intense Oil & Polish Cleanser is the next step and an evolution beyond IPA.
    - Prepare your vehicle for the best results with Cquartz by erasing oil and polish residue.
    - Due to Eraser key ingredients & make up Eraser also makes a fantastic glass cleaner and degreaser. It leaves a streak free finish, to glass every time with the added benefit of a static free finish so the
    glass stays cleaner longer.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a matter of cost. Eracer is one of the most expensive chemical on the market. And it is a glorified IPA. My goal is to cut costs, not tripple them

I never had an issue with IPA, just trying to figure out if I can cut cost down some more and save a few steps in preparing the solution. If I can use windshield washer and ONR, I can get that stuff anywhere. And I always have ONR with me. So it's a very good combo if it can work.

I came upon the idea watching a video where the guy was using Windex to clean up the pannel after polishing. Dawned to me that any solvent should be able to do the work. Could probably use dawn too but then it would involve rinsing and drying so it's too much of a hassle.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't do an ipa wipe down prior to applying any sealants and have never had any issues. I don't do coatings so I don't worry about that part of the equation.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

5. Thanks vctrku thanked for this post
    Likes vctrku liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a former chemist. I don't know the answer. From what I could find via Google search, it appears cold weather windshield wash uses different products as anti-freeze, including methyl, ethyl, isopropyl alcohols, and ethylene glycol. They'll generally also have some kind of cleaning agent and coloring agent. I checked my bottle (yes, got up off my ass and checked just for you haha) and it says it contains methyl alcohol, but lists no other ingredients. They don't even give the % alcohol. Therein lies the problem You don't know exactly what's in it or the ratios of the mixture. So even if a certain bottle worked for you this year, it may not work for you next year. They could change the ingredients or the ratios and you wouldn't know it and they are under no obligation to put it on their label. I like your current approach of making your own formula. It works for you, you control the ingredients and the ratios, and it's repeatable.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Calendyr View Post
    It's a matter of cost.

Eracer is one of the most expensive
    chemical on the market. And it is a
    glorified IPA.

My goal is to cut costs, not tripple them

I came upon the idea watching a video
    where the guy was using Windex to
    clean up the pannel after polishing.
    •Speaking about being cost-conscience:

-Several detailers that post-up here on
    AGO’s forum have stated they have
    used Meguiar’s D120 for “panel wipes”.

-{D120’s ingredients include Isopropyl
    Alcohol @10-30%, by weight—(T.S.)}

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post

Alcohol @10-30% (by weight—T.S.)}

Bob
    When I attended the Detailing 101 Class @Meguiars, Jason Rose was using glass cleaner as a panel wipe.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chet31 View Post
    I am a former chemist. I don't know the answer. From what I could find via Google search, it appears cold weather windshield wash uses different products as anti-freeze, including methyl, ethyl, isopropyl alcohols, and ethylene glycol. They'll generally also have some kind of cleaning agent and coloring agent. I checked my bottle (yes, got up off my ass and checked just for you haha) and it says it contains methyl alcohol, but lists no other ingredients. They don't even give the % alcohol. Therein lies the problem You don't know exactly what's in it or the ratios of the mixture. So even if a certain bottle worked for you this year, it may not work for you next year. They could change the ingredients or the ratios and you wouldn't know it and they are under no obligation to put it on their label. I like your current approach of making your own formula. It works for you, you control the ingredients and the ratios, and it's repeatable.
    Thank you for your efforts Ok so from what you are saying, here is what I am getting:

-Various type of alcohol are used depending on brands and products. The ones available here in Canada, as far as I know, are always Methyl alcohol (wood alcohol). So the question is, is that a good solvant to remove oils, would it do the same job as Isopropyl alcohol at the same ratio for instance?

- Isn't there an easy way to mesure alcohol content? People who make wine and beer do it all the time. I could get the necessary tool if really needed....

- I think that the ratio of alcohol must be pretty much the same as long as you use windshield washer designed for the same temperature. Here in Montreal, 3 types are sold: 0 Celcius, -35 Celcius and -40 Celcius. So if they decided to change the ratio of alcohol that would impact the freezing point of the solution. So I can be fairly confident the ratio would either remain the same, or stay very close.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX650 View Post

Alcohol @10-30%, by weight—(T.S.)}

Bob
    Thanks Bob. That's not a bad idea. I no longer use D120 as a window cleaner and I have almost of full gallon of concentrate left.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    When I attended the Detailing 101 Class @Meguiars, Jason Rose was using glass cleaner as a panel wipe.
    Yes, that is how I got the idea, it seems a lot of people are doing that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast