autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is my wash mitt leaving micro-scratches?

I have a couple of microfiber wash mitts. As I recall they are the Supreme Micro-Chinelle model. I wash them between car washings. I have noticed that after even one light wash, I am getting micro-scratches on my paint finish. (the wash mitts that I am using are about a year old) Are these wash mitts a help or a hindrance? Do the mitts collect dirt and grit and in turn leave micro-scratches on the finish. I had just detailed out the one of our trucks, Blackfire One Step, the week before the wash. The truck wasn't particularly dirty, just normal dust. I also noticed the same type of micro-scratches in one of our other trucks too. Straight front to back lines, just like I wash the trucks. I am thinking that it might be better to just use a micro-fiber towel rather that using the wash mitt. I usually start on the hood, which is where I noticed the micro-scratches. Since I start on the hood, that is the area where the wash mitt would be the least likely to be embedded with dirt and grit. I usually squeeze out the dirty wash water before I put the wash mitt in the rinse bucket. After the rinse bucket, I get it lathered up with soapy water. Maybe I need to go to the multi-mitt wash method. Thoughts? Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is my wash mitt leaving micro-scratches?

i've never been a fan of those chenille noodle style wash mitts and can't say that's the source of your problem, but you may want to try another wash mitt and see if that reduces the scratches/marring. take a look at your microfiber and drying towels and add a drying aid such as a qd/spray wax (if you aren't already) to avoid dry buffing/friction as well...

Post Thanks / Like

It could be the mitts aren't cleaned out properly or you just have sensitive paint finish. Try spraying the area with a water/soap mixture right before you wash it.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

This is why I only use sheepskin mitts and lots of them
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Great... now that I ordered the set of them......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

try this method and if see if it helps out. if it doesn't, just dump the rest of the solution from the bottle into the bucket next time you wash...

7. Likes DETAILROOKIE liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VISITOR View Post
    try this method and if see if it helps out. if it doesn't, just dump the rest of the solution from the bottle into the bucket next time you wash...
    Ha ha, Al I remember that wash when they sold it here, I used it for years.

Post Thanks / Like

if you think about what the guy is saying in the video it makes sense. as you wash in a bucket it gets diluted down as you bring the mitt back into the wash bucket from the water pooling on the panel (from rinsing as well). this is why i like using a foam gun to wash because i get the same consistent amount of soap solution as i spray/wipe/wash the panel...

10. Likes GEM65 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

this is why i like using a foam gun to wash because i get the same consistent amount of soap solution as i spray/wipe/wash the panel...
    This ^^
    and tons of lubrication too

12. Likes VISITOR liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Is my wash mitt leaving micro-scratches?

So that dude is saying that instead of just putting multiple mitts in a wash bucket [we’ll go with 12 mitts since he did say up the 12] and tossing them into an empty bucket, which leaves you with a 0% chance of watering down your wash solution...

He’d rather walk around the vehicle with his mitt, having to waste his time and energy repeatedly dunking it into a bucket full of water and a grit guard after each little section, and then have to pick up a spray bottle and pull the trigger a bunch of times onto the face of that same wash mitt...

Yea, as if starting the wash having to spray wheel & tire cleaner from a spray bottle wasn’t enough of a PITA. I sometimes start my wash process going around to each wheel, back to back with 3 spray bottles [1 for wheels, 1 for tires, 1 for the wheel wells] and it’s impossible to spray all 4 corners with just 1 hand. [meaning all that spraying gets your hand tired as heck] And this dude thinks it’s a better idea to keep on with this process of unnecessary spraying from a bottle? That’s ridiculous.

Not only that, but he’s taking that Meguiars Soap Gel and instead of using it @ the recommended 1:128 ratio, he dilutes it into his spray bottle @ 1:9 [or 9:1 if you prefer to look at it this way]

Then he takes it even further with his dilution of Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax. Recommend dilution of 1:128, he dilutes it @ 1:7 [or 7:1]
    Do I want to wash my car with a car wash dilution of 1:7 instead of the normL 1:128? Hell no I don’t... That would be the equivalent of pouring 48oz. of Megs Ultimate Wash & Wax car soap for normL 3 gallon bucket wash.

And all this extra work and higher concentration for what? Am I supposed to believe spraying soap solution into my mitt from a spray bottle is going to yield more lubrication than pulling a mitt from this bucket?

IMO that’s the dumbest detailing video I’ve seen in a while. He must’ve been out of ideas when he came up with that 1.

14. Thanks mattmann thanked for this post
    Likes mattmann liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast