autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is my wash mitt leaving micro-scratches?

Quote Originally Posted by lj993 View Post
    I have a couple of microfiber wash mitts. As I recall they are the Supreme Micro-Chinelle model. I wash them between car washings. I have noticed that after even one light wash, I am getting micro-scratches on my paint finish. (the wash mitts that I am using are about a year old) Are these wash mitts a help or a hindrance? Do the mitts collect dirt and grit and in turn leave micro-scratches on the finish. I had just detailed out the one of our trucks, Blackfire One Step, the week before the wash. The truck wasn't particularly dirty, just normal dust. I also noticed the same type of micro-scratches in one of our other trucks too. Straight front to back lines, just like I wash the trucks. I am thinking that it might be better to just use a micro-fiber towel rather that using the wash mitt. I usually start on the hood, which is where I noticed the micro-scratches. Since I start on the hood, that is the area where the wash mitt would be the least likely to be embedded with dirt and grit. I usually squeeze out the dirty wash water before I put the wash mitt in the rinse bucket. After the rinse bucket, I get it lathered up with soapy water. Maybe I need to go to the multi-mitt wash method. Thoughts? Phil
    1st of all, I have to ask a stupid but important question, are you pre rinsing your truck before you start washing it? [I know it sounds crazy, but some people can forget to do this]

2. IMO those mitts suck. Not necessarily because they can scratch, but because they perform like a wet mop would to try and wash your vehicle.. They’re heavy and drag over the paint. Compare them to an Incredimitt and there’s no comparison.
    The fact that those mitts drag on the paint means you’re most likely having to press down alot harder than a better mitt that glides over the paint and that could result in a problem.

I have 1 of those mitts and it’s so bad that I never use it.

3. What kind of car soap are you using? I’m surprised no ones asked this question yet.

4. From the sounds of it, it seems like these fine scratches are being caused during the wash, not the drying. Reason I say this is because it sounds exactly like the straight line scratches I used to inflict during waterless washing on my hood [before I changed my technique] And it would occur during the washing not the drying.

5. It’s a slim chance that there’s imbedded dirt that somehow survives a machine wash causing the scratches. Unless the mitts are visibly stained with grease & grime, it should be clean enough to use after machine washing it.

6. Is there a possibility that the cuff could be causing the scratches? Do you wear the mitt during use? Are you careful about keeping the cuff off your paint? If you don’t wear the mitt and instead use it like a pad [which is how I use all mitts] you run an even greater chance of the cuff causing scratches because it will definitely come in contact with the paint. If you look at my picture of that mitt you’ll notice I cut the cuff off. That’s the 1st thing I do with all my mitts [it’s not like I’m ever going to wear them anyways]

2. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The incredimitt is scary. Thousand and thousands of fibers that will trap dirt/particles that just won’t fully release in the wash

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GoonieSteve View Post
    The incredimitt is scary. Thousand and thousands of fibers that will trap dirt/particles that just won’t fully release in the wash

Sent from my iPhone using Autogeekonline mobile app
    They’re not scary. They’re the only mitts I use. They come clean just like any other mitt during a wash either by rinsing or as part of a 2 bucket system w/grit guard.

5. Likes SWETM, UncleDavy, PaulMys, GEM65 liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123