autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is my wash mitt leaving micro-scratches?

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    It could be the mitts aren't cleaned out properly or you just have sensitive paint finish.
    This.

Most likely just something trapped in the fingers that isn't washing out. Time to buy a new one. OR you've changed shampoos recently (and /or dilution ratios) and have been getting less lubrication in each wash.

I can't recall how long I've owned my CG MF chenille mitt and it's served me quite well.

Post Thanks / Like

You might be running to hard to and or not getting enough loose dirt off before using mitt. I do a foam personal and rinse before using mitt. I still get them though. I think it's impossible not to but some paints won't show it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    So that dude is saying that instead of just putting multiple mitts in a wash bucket [we’ll go with 12 mitts since he did say up the 12] and tossing them into an empty bucket, which leaves you with a 0% chance of watering down your wash solution...

He’d rather walk around the vehicle with his mitt, having to waste his time and energy repeatedly dunking it into a bucket full of water and a grit guard after each little section, and then have to pick up a spray bottle and pull the trigger a bunch of times onto the face of that same wash mitt...

Yea, as if starting the wash having to spray wheel & tire cleaner from a spray bottle wasn’t enough of a PITA. I sometimes start my wash process going around to each wheel, back to back with 3 spray bottles [1 for wheels, 1 for tires, 1 for the wheel wells] and it’s impossible to spray all 4 corners with just 1 hand. [meaning all that spraying gets your hand tired as heck] And this dude thinks it’s a better idea to keep on with this process of unnecessary spraying from a bottle? That’s ridiculous.

Not only that, but he’s taking that Meguiars Soap Gel and instead of using it @ the recommended 1:128 ratio, he dilutes it into his spray bottle @ 1:9 [or 9:1 if you prefer to look at it this way]

Then he takes it even further with his dilution of Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax. Recommend dilution of 1:128, he dilutes it @ 1:7 [or 7:1]
    Do I want to wash my car with a car wash dilution of 1:7 instead of the normL 1:128? Hell no I don’t... That would be the equivalent of pouring 48oz. of Megs Ultimate Wash & Wax car soap for normL 3 gallon bucket wash.

And all this extra work and higher concentration for what? Am I supposed to believe spraying soap solution into my mitt from a spray bottle is going to yield more lubrication than pulling a mitt from this bucket?

IMO that’s the dumbest detailing video I’ve seen in a while. He must’ve been out of ideas when he came up with that 1.
    I agree way over complicated

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be looking at the drying end of the process. at least that's where I seem to get all mine from. I always wet my vehicle down before washing. even when I do a rinse-less wash I carry a spray bottle with a detail mixture & spray the panel first. I've got a black truck with soft clear coat & I'm never going be swirl free. so I'm not always trying to get out every single swirl or scratch.
    hmardown

5. Likes DBAILEY liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hmardown View Post
    I'd be looking at the drying end of the process. at least that's where I seem to get all mine from. I always wet my vehicle down before washing. even when I do a rinse-less wash I carry a spray bottle with a detail mixture & spray the panel first. I've got a black truck with soft clear coat & I'm never going be swirl free. so I'm not always trying to get out every single swirl or scratch.
    hmardown
    I was just thinking the same thing, could be from drying.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eldorado2k View Post
    So that dude is saying that instead of just putting multiple mitts in a wash bucket [we’ll go with 12 mitts since he did say up the 12] and tossing them into an empty bucket, which leaves you with a 0% chance of watering down your wash solution...

He’d rather walk around the vehicle with his mitt, having to waste his time and energy repeatedly dunking it into a bucket full of water and a grit guard after each little section, and then have to pick up a spray bottle and pull the trigger a bunch of times onto the face of that same wash mitt...

Yea, as if starting the wash having to spray wheel & tire cleaner from a spray bottle wasn’t enough of a PITA. I sometimes start my wash process going around to each wheel, back to back with 3 spray bottles [1 for wheels, 1 for tires, 1 for the wheel wells] and it’s impossible to spray all 4 corners with just 1 hand. [meaning all that spraying gets your hand tired as heck] And this dude thinks it’s a better idea to keep on with this process of unnecessary spraying from a bottle? That’s ridiculous.

Not only that, but he’s taking that Meguiars Soap Gel and instead of using it @ the recommended 1:128 ratio, he dilutes it into his spray bottle @ 1:9 [or 9:1 if you prefer to look at it this way]

Then he takes it even further with his dilution of Meguiars Ultimate Wash & Wax. Recommend dilution of 1:128, he dilutes it @ 1:7 [or 7:1]
    Do I want to wash my car with a car wash dilution of 1:7 instead of the normL 1:128? Hell no I don’t... That would be the equivalent of pouring 48oz. of Megs Ultimate Wash & Wax car soap for normL 3 gallon bucket wash.

And all this extra work and higher concentration for what? Am I supposed to believe spraying soap solution into my mitt from a spray bottle is going to yield more lubrication than pulling a mitt from this bucket?

IMO that’s the dumbest detailing video I’ve seen in a while. He must’ve been out of ideas when he came up with that 1.
    I'm a curious person so I tested this method. Used carpro reset and was suprised that I didn't get the same lubrication as when 2bm washing. Think that the mitt holds up alot of water that diluted the spray schampo way more than a bucket does for me. So no this method was not something I will be doing. And that is what it is with youtubers. Some are great that they comes up with and some not. He does how ever have some other big and intresting thoughts and ways with detailing. But you can not blindly think that every thing is what suits you. And so is it on the forums also I think. A simple solution to fatigued from spray bottles is pressure spray bottles. And if you are useing more than 32oz there is those that holds over a gallon too. IMO it's easier to pump up pressure than pump spray triggers. I have seen Griots Garage has released pressure spray bottle and a foam pressure spray bottle. From the looks of them it seems to be from a company named Mesto that does high quality pressure spray bottles. That some holds higher than Kwazars. Just a tips from me

8. Thanks Eldorado2k thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that a really thick MF mitt is actually a bad thing. The dirty stuff does not release easily. MF is supposed to hold onto things.

I prefer sheep skin wool mitts or wash pads. They are super silky when wet and for me they release the dirt better MF or sponges.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread reminds me to order more Sheepskin mitts. Unfortunately the days of getting them locally are just about over. I had a whole bin full of them marked individually by section and I would go around and wash that section of the car and grab another mitt marked for the next section and move on
    Treat it like it's the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I use waffle weave drying towels for the drying process and never to waterless washes. I just ordered a few more micro-fiber mitts on the 25% off sale. These micro-scratches are a pain. I have a foam gun, but haven't been using it as much due to California's latest drought worries. I may try it and see if the added foam suds make a difference. Thank you all for the thoughts and ideas. Bottomline, wash mitts can leave scratches, drying towels can leave scratches. I may have to wax it every week.......Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Other solution, pick up some ONR and drop an ounce into your wash bucket with soap. It'll help with dirt release, and use a drying aid or something like that. I use waffle weaves as well, and I don't scratch until I try to start a fire with the waffle weave and the clearcoat. Maybe instead of wiping back and forth as well, try blotting out the water, that might work better as well. Or since you're in California, switch to rinseless washes. Use the MF mitts and a bucket of a rinseless wash, have a mixture of towels and the mitts, and don't reuse any. Wash one panel, dry, next panel next mitt/towel.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast