autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Self Healling Paint ?

So after I took delivery of my new Red Sport I read up as best I could on the paint and saw that it had Scratch Shield Paint. I couldn't find a whole lot on it other than some basic information from Nissan so given it was in near perfect condition I just used a light polishing pad and Essence to help amp up the gloss and prepare it for a ceramic coating. I thought perhaps it was just a newer clear coat that was more scratch resistant. I mean I've only had the car 2 months and thus it's not been in the wild long.

FFWD to this weekend as I washed and cleaned it up in prep for an a couple coats of Bliss. I've been driving my son to the bus stop given the cold weather and long story short as he gets some of his gear out he has proceeded to some minor scratches and marks on the rear bumper and back passenger side rear quarter panel where he has bumped it with his back pack, etc. Not a huge deal, I know life happens, etc. and I can always buff anything out. I wasn't going to even address these ares until spring.

However, after discussing other things with my service manager earlier today he noted that the scratch shield paint has a self-healing capability that is heat activated. OMG, I began to read up on that and that's exactly what Nissan/Infiniti claim. Could this be true?

So just got back in from the garage and I am still stunned. It works! I took a hair dryer on high and proceeded to warm up the area of the scratches slowly and after about 1 minute of making the surface fairly warm, the scratches began to fade. I absolutely wouldn't have believed it but it worked! I even moved to the front of the car where the top portion above the grill had micro marring in horizontal rows from where I had hit it with the rag as I pressed the gloss black 3M wrap on the chrome when wrapping it. Those are now gone too!

It will definitely be interesting to see how things fair during the hot summer months when the temp. of the paint gets quite hot as it bakes in the sun.

Has anyone here tried this or do you have experience with this on other Nissan's or more specifically the GT-R's as I know they too have scratch shield paints.
    2019 Pearl White Accord 2.0T Touring (mine)
    Snowflake Pearl White CX-30 Turbo Premium Plus(wife)
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

2. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Mike Phillips

Re: Self Healling Paint ?

Interesting.

Please let us know how this paint polishes if you ever have to polish it. As long as the heat option works sounds good.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Phillips View Post
    Interesting.
    Please let us know how this paint polishes if you ever have to polish it. As long as the heat option works sounds good.
    Will do. Again, so far all I've done after taking delivery with 6 miles on it was give a full decontamination and a mild polish with CarPro Essence and a LC White Hybrid Force Pad. I then went over it with more Essence and a CarPro Gloss Pad.

The above mainly just to amp up the gloss and remove any gunk from manufacturing and delivery. Next time I find some swirls or marks I'll try and set up a video camera. I know there's at least another mark or two on there now as I saw them when I applying Gliss. It's been freezing here in Ohio so it's no wonder the are still present. Evidently a heated garage isn't enough so as per Nissan it could take upwards of 1 week to heal completely as that's likely due to the sun and temp.
    2010 Urban Platinum Metallic CRV EX-L & 2014 Mica Black Metallic Toyota Corolla S (kids)

Post Thanks / Like

The only way to polish out self heating paint without causing issues is basically wet polishing, where you spritz the panel down and keep it wet to do any real paint correction per say with it due to the heat. I know there was an AMMO NYC podcast where Renny Doyle was saying that was the only way he was able to polish up some of the 09 GTRs that had that self healing paint. The other issue is after a few years, the paint gets rock hard and essentially stops being self healing. At that point you just polish as usual but treat it as harder paint. When it comes to actual compounding, same thing. Wet the panel down, keep the panel you're working on damp to prevent the heat from causing too many issues.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillSports3 View Post
    The only way to polish out self heating paint without causing issues is basically wet polishing, where you spritz the panel down and keep it wet to do any real paint correction per say with it due to the heat. I know there was an AMMO NYC podcast where Renny Doyle was saying that was the only way he was able to polish up some of the 09 GTRs that had that self healing paint. The other issue is after a few years, the paint gets rock hard and essentially stops being self healing. At that point you just polish as usual but treat it as harder paint. When it comes to actual compounding, same thing. Wet the panel down, keep the panel you're working on damp to prevent the heat from causing too many issues.
    I agree and heard that prior to working on it. It's a Polyrotaxane-based paint. I keep the speed on Essence at 4.5 on my Flex 3401 and ensured it barely got warm. Again, it was a light polishing as there were no real areas of defect. I'm not sure how long it will stay flexible but it's only a 3 yr lease so I'll be good if it last that long. Heck, I'm OCD once things are fully corrected so even 2yrs would be fine

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like it could put detailers out of business

Post Thanks / Like

Well it's great for the first few y ears. For the OP, it's a 3 year lease so it's fine. However let's say the OP bought it and 5 years later, well it won't be so self-healing much anymore. It's interesting because Nissan stopped the self-healing clear for a while and then brought it back. It's like the paint they were testing, the self cleaning paint. I haven't heard anything about that lately.
    Edit:
    Just looked it up, it looks like the self cleaning paint was just an extra layer of super hydrophobic and oleophobic clearcoat that went on top of the regular clear as opposed to at the factory sprayed clear.
    2016 Mazda 3 Sports GT
    2015 Lexus IS250 F Sport

Post Thanks / Like

Cool that it works!

There is no issue to use ceramic coatings or other lsp on that paint?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Cool that it works! There is no issue to use ceramic coatings or other lsp on that paint?
    Has two coats of McKee's SiO2 and two coats of Gliss and works just fine.

11. Likes SWETM liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Infiniti has had it for some time looks like it may have made it's way to Nissan. Even after the video I had my doubts.

YouTube

YouTube

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast