autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Paste Wax and Electric Polisher Pad (Solution)

Problem: Paste wax can is too small to spread wax onto your 5" DA pad. I read through the threads and some people suggested cutting the bristles short on a small paint brush, others suggested a putty knife. These are all fine ideas. But, I got to thinking, why not use a shoe polish brush?

Retail in the US they are $5-$10 each. Wood handle, horse hair and designed to spread polish on fine leather. Too expensive, I said to myself.

I searched Ebay with something like "horse hair shoe polish brush" and within the results you can see many off-shore sellers (China, Hong Kong, etc.) with good seller reputations and brushes that can be had for less than $1.50 with free postage.

I just placed an order for 5 of these at $1.35 each, total $6.75, free shipping, 100% safe, PayPal and Ebay guaranteed. You get your money back if it never shows up and you file a dispute.

I don't plan to use these on fine leather, nor do I care if the bristles fall out, I'm just looking for something to efficiently spread paste wax onto my 5" foam pads without making a mess and without wasting product. Besides, at $1.35 each, throw one away and use a new one if the bristles break down, or find a different seller on Ebay and try again.

Paste Wax and Electric Polisher Pad (Solution)-shoepolishbrush-jpg

I have three cans paste wax now but you know how it goes. I suspect some of you hardcore guys have many cans. Maybe five of these won't be enough. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paste Wax and Electric Polisher Pad (Solution)

I use a small putty knife. Too much wax will be lost and wasted in those bristles.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

Putty knife gouges the paste when I tried it. Makes it uneven, doesn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I have a butter knife styled putty knife, it's rounded on the end. I basically use it to butter the pad with wax, it takes very little and I use very little to do a vehicle.
    2013 Genesis Coupe 3.8 Track Edition
    2015 Hyundai Sonata Limited, 2016 Pearl White Nissan Altima SR
    2019 Nissan Rogue SL

Post Thanks / Like

I see. I was using a square knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I keep an expired credit card or two on my detailing cart just for spreading wax.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by custmsprty View Post
    I have a butter knife styled putty knife, it's rounded on the end. I basically use it to butter the pad with wax, it takes very little and I use very little to do a vehicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    I see. I was using a square knife.
    You need one of those mayonnaise things they use in the deli:

https://www.sharpteksupply.com/index...Fc-Kswodbh0J1w

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Route246 View Post
    Problem: Paste wax can is too small to spread wax onto your 5" DA pad. I read through the threads and some people suggested cutting the bristles short on a small paint brush, others suggested a putty knife. These are all fine ideas. But, I got to thinking, why not use a shoe polish brush?

Retail in the US they are $5-$10 each. Wood handle, horse hair and designed to spread polish on fine leather. Too expensive, I said to myself.

I searched Ebay with something like "horse hair shoe polish brush" and within the results you can see many off-shore sellers (China, Hong Kong, etc.) with good seller reputations and brushes that can be had for less than $1.50 with free postage.

I just placed an order for 5 of these at $1.35 each, total $6.75, free shipping, 100% safe, PayPal and Ebay guaranteed. You get your money back if it never shows up and you file a dispute.

I don't plan to use these on fine leather, nor do I care if the bristles fall out, I'm just looking for something to efficiently spread paste wax onto my 5" foam pads without making a mess and without wasting product. Besides, at $1.35 each, throw one away and use a new one if the bristles break down, or find a different seller on Ebay and try again.

Paste Wax and Electric Polisher Pad (Solution)-shoepolishbrush-jpg

I have three cans paste wax now but you know how it goes. I suspect some of you hardcore guys have many cans. Maybe five of these won't be enough. :-)
    I just take the pad off the machine, scrunch it up and stick it in there. I do it all the time with my synergy can it works great

Post Thanks / Like

I have found over the years that most waxes will actually come out of the container in one solid piece. I'll lay out some wax paper and turn the container over and shake it until the whole wax block comes out. Then with gloves on I'll spread the wax over the pad similar to applying deodorant, LOL (actually got the idea because back in the day Griots used to have a wax that came in a deodorant type container). Once I'm done the whole block slides right back into the container. You waste almost no product whatsoever doing it this way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fightnews View Post
    I just take the pad off the machine, scrunch it up and stick it in there. I do it all the time with my synergy can it works great
    U guys are making it to complicated. I can stick a 6 inch pad into the tiny synergy can no problem. It's just foam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast