autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

1995 Porsche 993 Black Coupe, Clear Coat is failing

I have a buddy that has a black 1995 Porsche 993 Coupe. The clear coat is going on the front passenger fender, the gas cap cover and part of the roof. It is in desperate need of a thorough paint correction. That said, I am reluctant to do much more that wash it for fear that the clear coat failure will look even worse. Thankfully, for now it just looks as if it was polished off (my chevy truck clear coat is peeling horribly, the Porsche looks nothing like it). I suspect that a hand coat of wax won't impact the clear, even a light polish, as opposed to compound, might work. Any suggestions? I follow the adage, "start with the least aggressive" product and process. I have all of the Rupes chemicals, HD Speed, Optimum Spray Compound and Spray Polish. I also have a few other products that I just can't recall right now. Any suggestions? I want to get it as good as it can be, without doing further damage. Thanks, Phil

ps I will add photos later today. It is currently covered in dust and some mud. My buddy drove it out to the Coachella Music Festival last weekend. Not exactly a "clean" environment.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1995 Porsche 993 Black Coupe, Clear Coat is failing

If it needs a light polish go with CarPro Essence. If the clear is already failing I would not go any further than an AOI like Essence and then top with a coating or SiO2 topper like Reload. Kind of like a doctor and "do no harm". A respray is in order. A good painter can match the panels without respraying the whole car. 911 are selling for crazy money at this time. I would try to keep the paint as original as possible.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up using hd speed. I stepped in with great caution. Somebody must have toasted the paint with a rotary buffer in the past. There were a couple of spots where the paint was worn all the way to the primer! This car had not been detailed for a very long time. I washed it, flayed it and washed it again. I forgot to get a before shot. After 4 hours, It turned out fantastic. The deep black looks like you could reach your hand right into the paint. The shine overshadows the bad clear and the primer spots. It is really a shame however. This is a very nice car. 1995 porsche 993 carrera 4. Black with tan leather with some black accents. I used lexol leather conditioner on the seats and steering wheel. 303 cleaner and protectant on the door panels and dash.yes, I really need to clean out the garage. Too many surfboards! Love this forum. Phil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1995 Porsche 993 Black Coupe, Clear Coat is failing-img_3254-jpg   1995 Porsche 993 Black Coupe, Clear Coat is failing-img_3250-jpg   1995 Porsche 993 Black Coupe, Clear Coat is failing-img_3251-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

It is very typical to find the paint on these cars in similar condition. The factory paint is incredibly soft and very thin on them. They are the ultimate exercise in Do The Best You Can And Do No Harm.

Mike Phillips

Wow!

Results looks great!

If it's parked outside in the sun a lot then give your buddy this link and tell him to order two bottles and plenty of new microfiber towels to apply, spread and wipe the wax off.

Tell him that "yes" you know it's a spray wax but the PhD Chemist, Dr. David Ghodoussi told me the only way to suspend the key ingredients was to use a thin liquid like used for this formula.

Because this topic comes up enough I just wrote a dedicated article for you and your buddy.... click the link and check it out... and share the link with your buddy...

Patented UV Protection - Optimum Car Wax - by Dr. Ghodoussi at Autogeek.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Mike! I will check that out. I have used Optimum products for a number of years, even before I found Autogeek. Our LR3 sits out 24/7 and the clear on it is starting to go on the top. Hopefully the Optimum will save the rest from clear coat failure. I have attached one more glamour shot. USS Midway in the background. Well, so much for the glamour shot, the photo won't upload. Picture this, a black Porsche 993 parked in front of an aircraft carrier!
    Thanks to all of you that have served and are currently serving. Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Here we go. Phil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1995 Porsche 993 Black Coupe, Clear Coat is failing-img_3271-jpg   1995 Porsche 993 Black Coupe, Clear Coat is failing-img_3270-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Looks very nice! Would have loved to have seen some before pics!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

I know. I got so excited to jump on it I forgot. You can see one of the burned through spots right in front of the driver's side mirror. Thankfully I didn't do that. Phil